• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: Lions' CB arrested for DUI

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8107069/cliff-avril-not-fair-label-detroit-lions-arrests

The Detroit Lions' offseason has been marred by off-field trouble, but defensive end Cliff Avril said Wednesday it's unfair to label his team as troublemakers.

Cornerback Aaron Berry became the fourth Lions player to be arrested this offseason when he was charged last weekend with suspicion of DUI and other misdemeanor charges after he drove his vehicle into several parked cars in Pennsylvania and attempted to flee.

"You can't label us by a few young guys getting in trouble," Avril said in an interview Wednesday with "NFL32" on ESPN. "You can't put that on the other 53 guys on the roster. That makes no sense. Obviously they are part of the team, but I don't think it's correct to put that on the other 53 guys who are on the roster."

Berry's arrest continued a troubling recent trend for the Lions.

• Running back Mikel Leshoure was suspended for violating the NFL's substance-abuse policy. Leshoure pleaded guilty to marijuana possession in May.

• Defensive tackle Nick Fairley was arrested in Alabama on charges of driving under the influence and attempting to elude police in May, his second arrest in his home state in two months. He also was arrested in April for allegedly possessing marijuana.

• Offensive tackle Johnny Culbreath also had a run-in with law enforcement this offseason.

Fairley and Leshoure weren't able to attend the NFL's annual rookie symposium for first-year draftees last year because it was canceled due to the lockout. However, the Lions' website reported Thursday that Fairley had filed a special request with the NFL to go to this year's session, and began attending Wednesday.

The symposium, in its 15th year, is a four-day retreat designed to ease drafted players' transitions from college athletes to paid professionals.

"Nick knows that his actions will speak louder than his words in accepting responsibility and moving forward," Lions president Tom Lewand said on the team's website Thursday. "Asking to attend this year's symposium is clearly a positive action and a step in the right direction."

Avril said he tries to counsel his teammates who have run into trouble.

"Obviously, the guys who had two offenses, it's kind of hard to talk to those guys, but you've got to be supportive of the guys and try to get them on the right track," Avril said.

Avril also commented on his contract status; he still hasn't signed his franchise tender. He said, however, that he was optimistic he and the Lions would be able to agree to a long-term contract by the July 16 deadline for franchise players to agree to multiyear deals.

But he said he's not sure if he'll report to training camp if the sides can't agree to a deal by the deadline.

"If it comes to that, then we'll have to talk about the right thing to do," he said.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

Last edited by a moderator:

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Further into the interview:

Mort: Why are these young players getting in so much trouble

Cliff: Well, they're in Detrot. What do you expect?

Mort: You do realize the "other 53 guys on the roster" you mentioned would include the 4 players who got arrested right?

Cliff: No, I said you can't put that on the OTHER 57 guys on the roster. I clearly said 57 guys.

Mort: You just added instead of subtracting.

Cliff: Like I CLERLY said, you can't put that on the other 50 guys on the roster.

Mort: 49.

Cliff: That's what I said!

Mort: Does the city itself turn these guys into D-bags, or do the D-bags turn Detroit into a crap hole?

Cliff: That's like the chicken and the baby chicken. It's a question that's been pondered for thousands of years ever since Christopher Columbus crossed the Missouri river and defeated the Germans to found this great country. And with independence day coming up, or Cinco de Julyo for all my Mexican speaking friends out there, let's try to honor those founding fathers by making Detroit as safe and lawful as the day Gerald Ford stepped off the Mayflower.

-Sicknesspress

Last edited by a moderator:

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Further into the interview:

Mort: Why are these young players getting in so much trouble

Cliff: Well, they're in Detrot. What do you expect?

Mort: You do realize the "other 53 guys on the roster" you mentioned would include the 4 players who got arrested right?

Cliff: No, I said you can't put that on the OTHER 57 guys on the roster. I clearly said 57 guys.

Mort: You just added instead of subtracting.

Cliff: Like I CLERLY said, you can't put that on the other 50 guys on the roster.

Mort: 49.

Cliff: That's what I said!

Mort: Does the city itself turn these guys into D-bags, or do the D-bags turn Detroit into a crap hole?

Cliff: That's like the chicken and the baby chicken. It's a question that's been pondered for thousands of years ever since Christopher Columbus crossed the Missouri river and defeated the Germans to found this great country. And with independence day coming up, or Cinco de Julyo for all my Mexican speaking friends out there, let's try to honor those founding fathers by making Detroit as safe and lawful as the day Gerald Ford stepped off the Mayflower.

-Sicknesspress

That sounds like Karl Malone, without the talking in the third person or the elbows. I wonder if they know each other. One should interview the other. By the end of the interview, none of us and neither of them would know who was doing the interviewing and who was being interviewed.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
It was a cheap shot, but there isn't anything else going on in the football world.