• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT - I'm bored, Part 2!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ho_Brah

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm taking a brewing class. I wrote about the photochemical reaction that causes skunking, the product that produces the smell (a thiol related to that in skunk spray), and why brown bottles are more effective than green or clear. Of course, even brown bottles are flawed, and opaque containers are the ideal, but they're more expensive for mass producers and really difficult to work with for homebrewers. You can also use genetically modified hops that don't release the unstable iso-alpha-acids that break down to allow the thiol to be formed, or you can use chemicals that prevent the sulfides from reacting, but I don't trust those methods.

that's deep bro. I always thought the reason why they put the lime wedge in corona bottles was to hide the smell.

Ho_Brah

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
btw. anything on tap/cans taste different in its bottled form.

KillerVee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hm. All this beer and bottle talk is making me think I should bust out a Blue Moon that's left over from last night..

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
btw. anything on tap/cans taste different in its bottled form.

Cans are opaque, it's just nearly impossible for a homebrewer to can. Kegs are ideal. Kegging is expensive to start doing, but it's a lot easier to condition a keg than bottles and it's also a lot easier to transfer the beer from the carboy to one five-gallon keg than to 50-odd bottles.

And if you ever drink hand-pulled Guinness on tap, you'll never drink it another way ever again. There are few beers that have such a distinct difference in taste (and actually also in alcohol content) between keg and bottle than Guinness. A hand-pulled keg tastes better and may have less than 3% alcohol whereas bottles will have around 3.5%.

For what it's worth.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hm. All this beer and bottle talk is making me think I should bust out a Blue Moon that's left over from last night..

I'm surprised you have anything left given that you somehow managed to combine a bed, a window sill and a pinata bat into some sort of elbow injury.

I'm also pleased you were drinking Blue Moon as opposed to Miller, Bud or Coors.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, and now I'm going to go to bed.

Later all!

And I look forward to talking beer again, of course.

KillerVee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm surprised you have anything left given that you somehow managed to combine a bed, a window sill and a pinata bat into some sort of elbow injury.

I'm also pleased you were drinking Blue Moon as opposed to Miller, Bud or Coors.

I think the Blue Moon is left over because we plowed through the Miller and Bud first :o

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Blue Moon is left over because we plowed through the Miller and Bud first :o

Ouch.

Who drinks the crappy stuff first? That's supposed to be for when you're too drunk to taste it anymore. That's why I go to the fancy beers bar first, and then to the cheap bar afterward. Get warm on three or four craft or microbrews, some of high gravity, and then go drink something much cheaper, like a 95-cent Yuengeling.

EDIT: Unless, that is, you like the taste of Bud and Miller. I think Miller tastes like what I would imagine urine tasting like and Bud tastes like watered-down Miller, but maybe that's just me.

KillerVee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hmmmm.

The original version by Dolly Parton is one of my favorite songs in the world. I don't think I like this cover.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
Hmmmm.

The original version by Dolly Parton is one of my favorite songs in the world. I don't think I like this cover.

it's a beautiful song, for sure.

I tend to like when a band adds something new to a cover. ----^ that fits.

Judas Priest - Diamonds and Rust (Joan Baez)
Concrete Blonde - Simple Twist of Fate (Bob Dylan)
Twilight Singers - Hyperballad (Bjork)
Judas Priest - Green Manalishi (Peter Green)

all favourites

KillerVee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry, Puckhead. I didn't mean to be critical. I just really love "Jolene" and to be honest, I'm not a fan of Jack White so it's just not my ideal mix.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
Sorry, Puckhead. I didn't mean to be critical. I just really love "Jolene" and to be honest, I'm not a fan of Jack White so it's just not my ideal mix.

no worries V. different strokes for different folks.

honestly, I don't like most of the White Stripes either. I do love the Raconteurs though.
for me, when he gets it right, he really knocks it out of the park.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And if you ever drink hand-pulled Guinness on tap, you'll never drink it another way ever again. There are few beers that have such a distinct difference in taste (and actually also in alcohol content) between keg and bottle than Guinness. A hand-pulled keg tastes better and may have less than 3% alcohol whereas bottles will have around 3.5%.

For what it's worth.

My wife did post graduate work in Ireland and lived there for 3 years. No only will she not drink Guinness any other way, she rarely drinks it at all on this continent. Shes only found a couple places out of Ireland where its acceptable to her oh so delicate palate. One was a quarter mile from one of our houses but was out of business in 6 months, another was a hole in the wall in Boston.

To me, the draught cans taste good but the Guinness feels too thin, watery in my mouth.

IPostedWhat

I'm So High Right Now
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I finally decided to upgrade my TV and it arrives tomorrow.

Now I can just imagine what the Sabres games look like on it whille I'm at work. :(

what are you getting?

A 32'' Panaphonics.

LCD I assume.

Sorry HNF, I was being snooty last night.

I actually got a Samsung 46" LCD HDTV, and I am not sure how to set it up to get the most out of it yet?

I think I have to get a new cable box that supports 120Hz?

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My wife did post graduate work in Ireland and lived there for 3 years. No only will she not drink Guinness any other way, she rarely drinks it at all on this continent. Shes only found a couple places out of Ireland where its acceptable to her oh so delicate palate. One was a quarter mile from one of our houses but was out of business in 6 months, another was a hole in the wall in Boston.

To me, the draught cans taste good but the Guinness feels too thin, watery in my mouth.

QED.

Status
Not open for further replies.