• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT:I feel bad for Scrivens.

pete6835

Buuuuuurp!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fasth got the loss. :noidea: LIKE I said before, they would be kicking themselves and waited a day for the Fasth trade.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I say good for him, I'm all for voicing your opinion as a fan, especially when the team deserves it, but I think tossing jerseys out - when you're the home team - is just flat out classless. It's a dishonor to the franchise that you claim to love and support.

In this fan's defense however, while the Oilers' ineptitude is well documented and known by players and fans alike, I fully believe that until you have experienced playing in a play for a while you truly don't understand the pulse of the fans.

Case in point is LA, most people east of Colorado think hockey has no place in California, it's all palm trees and Hollywood and there is no fanbase for the Kings. As we all know, and players have stated time after time after leaving here, that is not the case. Hockey is very well received here, especially in LA and SJ. But without living here and just going off conjecture, these fans will never know the truth.

Flipping that, I think Scrivens doesn't quite understand probably how pissed off and fed up the Oiler fan base is. It's a decade long "rebuild" and it hasn't been done right. Every year is "the year the Oillers youth takes that next step" or "this is the year the Oilers make the playoffs" and it doesn't happen. It also doesn't help that the Oilers have arguably one of the worst ownership and management staffs in the NHL right behind the NY Islanders.

I see both sides of the coin for this particular fan (I'm assuming it is a loyal long timer) as well as Scrivens. Yes he is from Edmonton, but he has not been embedded in the culture during this last 10 years for the Oilers and seen up close and personal what missteps that franchise has taken time and again.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,022.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Scrivens was a serial backup until his success in LA, which he was able to parlay into a bigger payday, so I think he's doing okay. He is earning respect, and really, he gets to play with house money. Everyone saw him have success with a good defensive team, and now he isn't having as much success on a weaker defensive team, so no one really blames him.

As for the "rebuild", I would have to agree with the Edmonton sentiment, because this is embarrassing. The jersey thing was a little too much, but it was thrown after an 8-1 loss to a Calgary team that has just begun their rebuild. Edmonton was allowed to have the #1 prospect in the entire world 3 years in a row (not to mention the other high picks/picking first in the 2nd round 3 years in a row as well) and they can't even avoid finishing dead last. It is hard to imagine a bigger mess up in the history of the league (Still time to see if this pans out, but wow, this is becoming an all time suck fest).

Colorado got the first overall pick this year, and they are already a team to be dealt with. They have their #2 from last year in Landeskog, as well as a bunch of young talent that are actually making an impact. Night and day different than Edmonton.

davnlaguna

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,636.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oilers should start selling jerseys at the game to throw on the ice, then scoop them up and sell them again. Until fans stop buying tickets and other crap the team will keep selling them crap( both on the ice and in the stores). I know tickets are already sold but teams track stubhub and such to plan ticket increases for next year. Until tickets start selling for less than face value the Owners are happy and have shown they cant make the right choices. Of course winning isnt everything. My work had a deal for Ducks tickets half price for next week's games. 40.00 for Club seats. Why because the Ducks thought winning the cup was enough. They ignored the fans. While the Kings raised prices but still do things like tip a king and kings at rinks and other stuff to keep fans talking.
I think if the Oilers want to win fans back winning is the biggest thing (and since they are in Canada it may be the only thing) but until the owners are hit in the pocket there is no need for change