• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT Haven't Canadians read about Detroit?

BOSSMANPC

Harbor Center
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He must have been REALLY drunk !!!! WTF. Not poking fun at Detroit but I'm surprised they had the resources to rescue him.

Drunken Canadian swims across Detroit River, prompts international rescue

A Canadian man who wanted to prove he could swim across the Detroit River to the United States after a night of drinking prompted an international rescue operation late Monday.

John Morillo, 47, of Windsor, Ontario, told The Windsor Star that the swim from his hometown to Detroit was “really stupid” and realizes in retrospect it should never have happened.

"I was drinking, but I wasn't really drunk," Morillo told the newspaper on Tuesday. "The thing is, I've been telling people I'm going to swim across the river for years and they're like 'yah, yah, blah, blah, you can't make it.' So, I don't know, last night I just decided it was the time to go."

Morillo was cited for public intoxication and was released from jail on Tuesday. He said he regretted causing problems for Canadian and U.S. authorities. Three boats and a helicopter reportedly responded to rescue Morillo from the dangerous river’s current.

"As soon I saw the helicopters going by and the boats looking for me, I was like 'oh, this is really stupid,'" Morillo told The Windsor Star.

Police in Windsor initially responded around 11:30 p.m., when a neighbor of Morillo called to say she had lost sight of him about a half-hour earlier. Morillo ultimately made it across to Detroit, getting out of the water near downtown's Renaissance Center. He was swimming back to Canada when he was spotted at about 1 a.m. Tuesday by the U.S. Coast Guard. While on the Detroit side of the river, Morillo said people wanted to take his picture.

"There was one woman, she said she was from Windsor and she thought I was crazy," he said. “She was right."

Morillo said authorities told him he'll also likely be fined for swimming in a shipping channel, which could be $5,000 to $25,000.

Last edited by a moderator:

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I swam across the Shuswap Narrows on a houseboat trip several years ago...

/Yes, I had consumed a few pops prior to the swim - However, I was practicing safe swimming and had a buddy alongside.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He made it across? I'm guessing someone owes him some money...

BOSSMANPC

Harbor Center
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was going to swim the Niagara River once to see the Canadian ballet but I wasn't drunk enough.

Shit, sorry dash I went to quote you but hit "Edit" instead LOL. Maybe I am drunk !!!

forty_three

Stance: Goofy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He must have been REALLY drunk !!!! WTF. Not poking fun at Detroit but I'm surprised they had the resources to rescue him.

Drunken Canadian swims across Detroit River, prompts international rescue

A Canadian man who wanted to prove he could swim across the Detroit River to the United States after a night of drinking prompted an international rescue operation late Monday.

John Morillo, 47, of Windsor, Ontario, told The Windsor Star that the swim from his hometown to Detroit was “really stupid” and realizes in retrospect it should never have happened.

"I was drinking, but I wasn't really drunk," Morillo told the newspaper on Tuesday. "The thing is, I've been telling people I'm going to swim across the river for years and they're like 'yah, yah, blah, blah, you can't make it.' So, I don't know, last night I just decided it was the time to go."

Morillo was cited for public intoxication and was released from jail on Tuesday. He said he regretted causing problems for Canadian and U.S. authorities. Three boats and a helicopter reportedly responded to rescue Morillo from the dangerous river’s current.

"As soon I saw the helicopters going by and the boats looking for me, I was like 'oh, this is really stupid,'" Morillo told The Windsor Star.

Police in Windsor initially responded around 11:30 p.m., when a neighbor of Morillo called to say she had lost sight of him about a half-hour earlier. Morillo ultimately made it across to Detroit, getting out of the water near downtown's Renaissance Center. He was swimming back to Canada when he was spotted at about 1 a.m. Tuesday by the U.S. Coast Guard. While on the Detroit side of the river, Morillo said people wanted to take his picture.

"There was one woman, she said she was from Windsor and she thought I was crazy," he said. “She was right."

Morillo said authorities told him he'll also likely be fined for swimming in a shipping channel, which could be $5,000 to $25,000.

I drove across, I swear.

Boss, you got a link to that story? Because one of my good friends, who happens to be invisible, went by the moniker "drunkencanadian" at the ESPN boards. I must taunt him via the facebooks with that.

nvm: I found it.

DevilishWon

Don't ever play Lady of Spain again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I drove across, I swear.

Boss, you got a link to that story? Because one of my good friends, who happens to be invisible, went by the moniker "drunkencanadian" at the ESPN boards. I must taunt him via the facebooks with that.

nvm: I found it.

DC was a great poster and a noted Canadian Drunk.....and a hell of a pillager

forty_three

Stance: Goofy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is a ton of border patrol over there, lots of drugs move across that river. I wonder how long his cavity search lasted.

I happened to catch a changing of the guards. The line I was in, the cars in front were taking, on average, about 2 minutes. Then my line got closed when I was next. After ten minutes of waiting to re-open the line, the new guard, who apparently thought he was Ulysses S Freedom III decided to "by the book" the whole damn thing. Took another 10 or so. Had I not been polite and let that car in front of me, I would have gotten Johnny Whatthefuck and been on my way fast.

Stop being polite. That's the moral here.

By contrast, going into Canada at the falls I was asked who Johnny Bower played for, what's in poutine and how I felt about George W Bush and that was it. A minute, tops.