• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: Hamels and Harper

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Philadelphia Phillies' Cole Hamels plunks Bryce Harper, then admits aiming for him - ESPN

Suspension and a fine for a "Welcome to the Big Leagues" moment? :loco:

Apparently, Cole Hamels is a dummy. I had no idea. He thinks he is making a statement, but that statement is stupid. I thought he was smart enough to know the difference between the things you think and the things you say when you're a professional athlete.

Surprisingly, the teenager was the most mature in this situation. I might end up liking this kid... when he isn't playing the Giants, of course.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Philadelphia Phillies' Cole Hamels plunks Bryce Harper, then admits aiming for him - ESPN

Suspension and a fine for a "Welcome to the Big Leagues" moment? :loco:

Apparently, Cole Hamels is a dummy. I had no idea. He thinks he is making a statement, but that statement is stupid. I thought he was smart enough to know the difference between the things you think and the things you say when you're a professional athlete.

Surprisingly, the teenager was the most mature in this situation. I might end up liking this kid... when he isn't playing the Giants, of course.

Hamels is an idiot for A) admitting this, and B) firing a 90+ mph fastball. Throw an offspeed pitch if you are going to do that.

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hamels is an idiot for A) admitting this, and B) firing a 90+ mph fastball. Throw an offspeed pitch if you are going to do that.

Yeah. I don't get it. What did he think he was accomplishing? MLB isn't exactly an institution known for re-evaluating unspoken changes based on a pitcher plunking a batter and babbling about strike zones and tradition. All he did was hurt himself, his team and make an arrogant kid look like a 10-year vet. If anything, it accomplished the exact opposite of what he was aiming for, and if he would've just kept his mouth shut, nobody would've questioned it, outside of a couple of Philly/D.C. beat reporters.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bad news for Phillies = me smiling

:nod:

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree with A, but not with B. If you really are trying to send a message (i.e. - "welcome to the big leagues"), a fastball is the best way to do that.

Hamels getting punished for his stupidity.

:heh:

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with A, but not with B. If you really are trying to send a message (i.e. - "welcome to the big leagues"), a fastball is the best way to do that.

Hamels getting punished for his stupidity.

:heh:

It's also generally much easier to control a fastball than a curve. I was always taught that if you're going to hit a guy, you throw a fastball at his butt. That way, if you miss high you hit him in the ribs.

sfsportsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
isnt it ironic the guy nicknamed Hollywood is trying to bring the game back to the old school.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
isnt it ironic the guy nicknamed Hollywood is trying to bring the game back to the old school.

Agreed but I don't even get it on that level. By all accounts Harper has been a by-the-book rookie, mouth shut, playing hard, etc. What's old school about plunking a kid like that?

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
raidersofthelostark.jpg

"Shoot zem. Shoot zem both."

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There was absolutely no reason for this. Harper was plunked in the first inning. Not for anything that happened during the game, but because Hamels is a fucking asshat. Personally, I think that starting pitchers, when suspended, should have a MINIMUM suspension of 6 days, and for something like what Hamels did (intentionally throwing at a batter for no reason at all), he should have been suspended for 15 games, AND fined 10% of his salary on the year.

CameronFrye

Certifiable A-hole
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
There was absolutely no reason for this. Harper was plunked in the first inning. Not for anything that happened during the game, but because Hamels is a fucking asshat. Personally, I think that starting pitchers, when suspended, should have a MINIMUM suspension of 6 days, and for something like what Hamels did (intentionally throwing at a batter for no reason at all), he should have been suspended for 15 games, AND fined 10% of his salary on the year.

Totally agreed. The suspensions for pitchers HAVE TO be longer than the suspensions for position players. A 5-game suspension for a position player should equate to a 25-game suspension for a pitcher, so that pitcher actually misses 5 games.

Toolrulzz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's a money issue. Hamels will lose 5 days of pay the same as a position player would with the same suspension I believe. Once you try to match actual games played between everyday players and starting pitchers the loss of money becomes uneven. And then I think it would be a messy situation with the union.

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I don't get all the outrage - was the Nat's pitcher fined and suspended for hitting Hamels in retaliation? The players pretty much took care of it on the field. That said, six games would have been about right for being dumb enough to admit that he threw at Harper intentionally.

And, to be clear, what Hamels did was stupid, throwing something up and in was the old-school way of testing rookies. Maybe he got the wrong idea from the disney padres board, where he used to post when he was in high school. Those guys were idiots.

Last edited by a moderator:

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I think it's a money issue. Hamels will lose 5 days of pay the same as a position player would with the same suspension I believe. Once you try to match actual games played between everyday players and starting pitchers the loss of money becomes uneven. And then I think it would be a messy situation with the union.

This is the reality. This isn't the NFL, the MLBPA has to be onboard with punishments.

Toolrulzz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I realize that. I wasn't arguing I was just stating why I think they don't match games played between SPs and position players.

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Yeah I realize that. I wasn't arguing I was just stating why I think they don't match games played between SPs and position players.

I was agreeing with you. You are totally correct.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This.

Plus, a position player has less impact on the game than the pitcher. So missing 1 start for a pitcher, while maybe not as much as a position player missing 5 games, maybe is like a position player missing 2-3 games.