• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: gp956's recipe

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any of you guys remember gp posting a recipe on a Pork Shoulder (or something of the sort)? I was going to try and make that soon and I can't find it anywhere. If any of you remember it, come across it by accident or know where to find it, it would be much appreciated. If not, no worries. I'd just ask gp, but I haven't seen him around in awhile.

SFAnthem

Brain dead Hacker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any of you guys remember gp posting a recipe on a Pork Shoulder (or something of the sort)? I was going to try and make that soon and I can't find it anywhere. If any of you remember it, come across it by accident or know where to find it, it would be much appreciated. If not, no worries. I'd just ask gp, but I haven't seen him around in awhile.

ooo, yea, please post if you find it. I recall he used a coffee grind mix as part of his rub.

Where has gp been? Maybe someone should throw a girl bouncing her face off a ball gif spotlight in the night sky...

hope all is well with the guy

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ooo, yea, please post if you find it. I recall he used a coffee grind mix as part of his rub.

Where has gp been? Maybe someone should throw a girl bouncing her face off a ball gif spotlight in the night sky...

hope all is well with the guy

Ha! This ^^^

Above all else, I just hope all is very well for GP.

If I find it, I'll re-post Anthessy!

EDIT: Damn, you gave me a great idea with the coffee grinds Anthem. I tried an advanced search with those but I still can't find it. I wonder if it was in a thread that got deleted???

Last edited by a moderator:

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Nice. A blatantly transparent attempt to lure him back, but I hope it works. :)

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice. A blatantly transparent attempt to lure him back, but I hope it works. :)

lol, I wish I were that smart. If it worked though, I wouldn't be against it! I wanted to do a test run on the pork and then do it again for Thanksgiving if I did it well.....some might say I'm a procrastinator. :D

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seriously, though. Where is gp? Though, I think it is safe to assume that when people aren't in front of a computer on a daily basis, their life is probably better. Wishing you guys all the best during the holiday season. Safe travels and happy eating.

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

Damn... what happened? Did we lose some old threads? Did I send it to you in a pm?

The rub I use is essentially:

equal parts:
achiote
coffee (espresso grind is best)
brown sugar
Kosher Salt

then (to taste and heat preferences)
Red Pepper Flakes
Pico De Gallo
Garlic

Remember the goal of the rub is to impart a bitter element to balance the fattyness of the pork. I apply the rub 24 to 72 hours before smoking. On the day you're going to smoke/cook, remove the pork from the refrigerator and allow it to sit at room temperature for an hour or so. Meanwhile get your smoker/grill ready - temperature stabilized at around 225-275. Add wood chips just before putting the pork on the grill - use a mild wood such as apple or cherry wood. Smoke the pork for about 3-4 hours at 225-275. At this point, I usually remove the pork from the grill and transfer it to a roasting tray sealing it with foil and finish the pork in the oven - this takes another 3+ hours at 225.

Don't over smoke - one application of wood chips at thee beginning of the smoking/grill phase is sufficient.

BTW, this past month I made my own pastrami out of beef brisket! Loved it.

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
BTW, I ran across this website a while back. great resource for smoking all types of meat.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damn... what happened? Did we lose some old threads? Did I send it to you in a pm?

BTW, this past month I made my own pastrami out of beef brisket! Loved it.

I don't know, it was weird, I looked for it via advanced search and couldn't find it. I think you did put it on the main board just because others knew of it but I'm not 100% sure. I remember seeing a thread or two that was randomly not there anymore (and I didn't delete them), so maybe it was in one of those threads. Strange to say the least.

That's awesome, sound delicious too. Thanks again for the recipe.....maybe it'll be a Christmas recipe for me now ;)

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I don't know, it was weird, I looked for it via advanced search and couldn't find it. I think you did put it on the main board just because others knew of it but I'm not 100% sure. I remember seeing a thread or two that was randomly not there anymore (and I didn't delete them), so maybe it was in one of those threads. Strange to say the least.

That's awesome, sound delicious too. Thanks again for the recipe.....maybe it'll be a Christmas recipe for me now ;)

Hard to go wrong with slow cooked pork shoulder. BTW, the achiote above should be achioto paste, such as this brand:

31w%2B5wnZGEL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Also, be careful of the type of salt you use - a large grained salt is preferred. The rule of thumb: 1 part table salt = 2 parts kosher salt.