• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: Food Allergies

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do any of you or your loved ones or friends have any food allergies?

My daughter completed her Oral Immunotherapy (OIT) treatment for her peanut allergy in January. She went from being anaphylactic to contact to eating 24 peanuts a day in 6 months.

Just wanted to let you know about the treatment if any of you knew someone. They have it for peanuts, tree nuts, soy, milk, egg, fruits, fish, and some shellfish. 60+ doctors around the country do it.

A few points for those who might look into it:

1. It's not an experimental therapy; it's in private practice covered by most insurances.

2. The FDA regulates products like the peanut patch, the coming peanut pill, and the like. It does not regulate processes of food they have already approved, like peanuts. The FDA doesn't review, approve, or disapprove of OIT.

3. Any severity level can be treated, from mild hives to anaphylaxis from contact (airborne). Asthma or GI issues make it harder to start or finish, but can still be treated slowly.

Moderator: I apologize if you feel this should be moved or deleted. I've been a member here since August 2011, I think, and feel like this is a place where I know some people as friends, but wouldn't know of allergies in their family. This will be the only personal thread I post here.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

My daughter completed her Oral Immunotherapy (OIT) treatment for her peanut allergy in January. She went from being anaphylactic to contact to eating 24 peanuts a day in 6 months.

Just wanted to let you know about the treatment if any of you knew someone. They have it for peanuts, tree nuts, soy, milk, egg, fruits, fish, and some shellfish. 60+ doctors around the country do it.

1. It's not an experimental therapy; it's in private practice covered by most insurances.

2. The FDA regulates products like the peanut patch, the coming peanut pill, and the like. It does not regulate processes of food they have already approved, like peanuts. The FDA doesn't review, approve, or disapprove of OIT.

3. Any severity level can be treated, from mild hives to anaphylaxis from contact (airborne). Asthma or GI issues make it harder to start or finish, but can still be treated slowly.

Moderator: I apologize if you feel this should be moved or deleted. I've been a member here since August 2011, I think, and feel like this is a place where I know some people as friends, but wouldn't know of allergies in their family. This will be the only personal thread I post here.

No worries. This is something that could save someone's life and/or improve the quality of their life. Thank you for posting it.

I don't personally know anyone who suffers from peanut allergies, etc. but my sister is director at a pre-school and I know they have at least 2 kids with peanut allergies. Gonna pass this info along to her to give to the parents.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

My eldest daughter Is adopted. So, I didn't have her full medical history.

We found out the hard way that she is allergic to bee stings.

Anaphylaxis is no joke and I keep a epi pen on my person, at her school, at my mom's and in every vehicle.

It comes on so fast and is some scary shit to witness when it is a loved one.

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know anyone who suffers from them well. Have an aunt that is allergic to mango's but that's it. But I do work in the dairy industry and have to say that there has been a huge awareness on that in the food industry especially with the new Food Safety Modernization Act.

It is also interesting how little is known about protein allergies and how they work.

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not allergic to anything, thankfully.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No worries. This is something that could save someone's life and/or improve the quality of their life. Thank you for posting it.

I don't personally know anyone who suffers from peanut allergies, etc. but my sister is director at a pre-school and I know they have at least 2 kids with peanut allergies. Gonna pass this info along to her to give to the parents.

Thank you, could you let her know that is not experimental? OIT doctors do not experiment on their patients. Private practice is the way to go if you can avoid clinical trials. Clinical trials better than nothing, but uses placebos sometimes and they start out at to high of levels and they don't customize the treatment for the patient. They are on strict protocols to test whether their protocol works or not. OIT and private practice will be flexible and start at safer levels of exposure. Again, any severity level can be treated, even those who have had anaphylaxis due to contact without even eating it.

The peanut patch has to be approved by the FDA first and is more expensive and less protective and takes longer. The peanut pill is a medicine that goes with the peanut and who knows if it's effective. OIT does not involve any medicine. If one has environmental allergies like pollen or asthma, there may be some medicine for those things but not the food allergy.