• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: Euro 2012

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jesus. What a set piece by Steven Gerrard. Absolutely beautiful. England up by 1-0 so far against France.

Now we should see Nasri and Ribery push more from the mid-field.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I so want to see Ballack knock Lalas the fuck out.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bad officiating(when i watched it) but also consistent. The ref is letting them play but France is taking advantage of the refs generosity more so than the Brits.

Is that ref the same one who officiated the Spain vs Italy match?

England either can't move the ball or maintain it. Don't like the system they're playing now(no Rooney makes a difference I'll give you that)

France has something to work with but no scheme/attack sets look apparent. It's Ribbery drives and feeds, thats all. Benz needs to be more aggressive.

Nasri, work on your passes sunny.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bad officiating(when i watched it) but also consistent. The ref is letting them play but France is taking advantage of the refs generosity more so than the Brits.

Is that ref the same one who officiated the Spain vs Italy match?

England either can't move the ball or maintain it. Don't like the system they're playing now(no Rooney makes a difference I'll give you that)

France has something to work with but no scheme/attack sets look apparent. It's Ribbery drives and feeds, thats all. Benz needs to be more aggressive.

Nasri, work on your passes sunny.

No Lampard either. They had to just play D and hope to draw today and it worked.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not a big fan of this up and coming English team. Certainly a drop in leadership and desire IMHO. The English teams of years past would mop the floor with these guys before they blow the first whistle.

trancemeister

Niner Faithful
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's time for Ronaldo to step up on the big stages. He's the LeBron (though after last night it might be bad to say that) of soccer. Arguably the most talented player in the world but hasn't delivered for Portugal.

A days late on this, but excellent analogy there, Clyde! The only problem is that Lebron (as much as I hate the guy) now has a team that can help him shake that monkey off his back. Even then, I don't fancy their chances against OKC as much. Ronaldo on the other hand, has had very little help on the international scene. This is the unfortunate part about the game of soccer though. There are so many fantastic individual performers who fail to win the silverware they so deserve.

Mario... way to go blonde there.....

I'm seriously over this knucklehead! I really have no idea why he was selected in the first place! It's not like he lit the field on fire while at Man City. His temper and antics are going to bite the Italians in the butt at some point in the tourney!

Damn! I wish I could be home right not watching some games! Work sucks!

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mario is bad... I have no idea why....

As for Ronaldo, it's the luck of the draw in terms of national teams. He's a top 2-3 players in the world but the next "best" portugeuse player doesn't or barely cracks top 50. That's the reality behind it. Ricardo was a strong player and good goalie but that doesn't Ronaldo score. It's unforunate but that is the draw of the national team.

Not as skilled but a great player like Andriy Shevchenko didn't have his share of glory in the international stage where as club level he was brilliant and well known.

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, what team has had the most surprising performace thuse far? At first thought one might say the Danes but I think Italy actually surpised me more. They could really have walked away with 3 pts from the Spaniards.

trancemeister

Niner Faithful
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, what team has had the most surprising performace thuse far? At first thought one might say the Danes but I think Italy actually surpised me more. They could really have walked away with 3 pts from the Spaniards.

Being a hardcore Azzurri fan, I have to say I too was pleasantly surprised by their performance. If Mario had scored on that one-on-one with the keeper, who knows how that would have altered the game. Probably not a whole lot since DiNatale scored when he came on but ya never know!

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Expectations wise? Would have to say Germany. I expected "more" from the Germans in all honesty.

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I only got to watch about 20 minutes worth today.....luckily it was the first 20 min. of the 2nd half of Ukraine-Sweden, with all three goals.

I'd say most surprising is the Danes.....I guess they're 10th in the world, so they should be able to compete, but I just hardly know anyone on the squad so they seem like overachievers.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am Portuguese and have been following our National Team since I was born basically. I have also been following Ronaldo isnce before he was on our National Team as he understandably started quite the buzz prior to making it onto the team with his skill at the junior levels. Here is my take on Portugal and Ronaldo specifically.

Portugal has historically had a.) less then stellar/questionable decision making at GK, b) less then stellar talent at key goal scoring positions and c) 2nd tier teams surrounding singular superstars.

As far as A is concerned, Ricardo is of the questionable decision making variety. He is solid at times and scares the fucking shit out of me with some of his decisions. Luckily it hasn't bitten the Portuguese team in the ass in a meaning match, but it is scary nonetheless.

As far as B is concerned, we have Nani and Ronaldo, who are both goal scoring threats. However, both have either been mis-used and/or have shown less then desirable effort while representing Portugal on the pitch.

As far as C is concerned, we have Nani and Ronaldo....and a bunch of players that just simply don't bring a whole lot to the table. Pepe is decent. It more or less ends there. When we had Figo, it was the same problem.

Ronaldo is a bitch, plain and simple. When Man Utd played Barca in the CL Final a couple years back, Ronaldo played like a man possessed, looking like the only Red to show up and actually play that game. He was aggressive, strong, fast, relentless. He singlehandedly scored the 2 goals that game and the Reds lost 3-2. That was the only game of memory where he played top level competition and played to his ability. He is consistently the strongest, fastest, most skilled player on the pitch in every match he plays yet unless he is playing a garbage team, he plays uninterested and without passion. He has YET to show up in International play as us Portuguese are STILL waiting for him to play with the similar passion he plays with while playing for Madrid.

I simply have little to no faith in Portugal and its players to play as a team. The only way I see our team playing to its capabilities is if somehow it can talk Mourinho to manage his country's team, which would require to step away from the major $$$ that Real Madrid is paying him. So in other words, it ain't gonna happen.

Last edited by a moderator:

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Expectations wise? Would have to say Germany. I expected "more" from the Germans in all honesty.

Eh, they played a decent Portugal team and I don't think the Germans ever really looked in trouble. I think they'll get rolling, not changing my pick.

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am Portuguese and have been following our National Team since I was born basically. I have also been following Ronaldo isnce before he was on our National Team as he understandably started quite the buzz prior to making it onto the team with his skill at the junior levels. Here is my take on Portugal and Ronaldo specifically.

Portugal has historically had a.) less then stellar/questionable decision making at GK, b) less then stellar talent at key goal scoring positions and c) 2nd tier teams surrounding singular superstars.

As far as A is concerned, Ricardo is of the questionable decision making variety. He is solid at times and scares the fucking shit out of me with some of his decisions. Luckily it hasn't bitten the Portuguese team in the ass in a meaning match, but it is scary nonetheless.

As far as B is concerned, we have Nani and Ronaldo, who are both goal scoring threats. However, both have either been mis-used and/or have shown less then desirable effort while representing Portugal on the pitch.

As far as C is concerned, we have Nani and Ronaldo....and a bunch of players that just simply don't bring a whole lot to the table. Pepe is decent. It more or less ends there. When we had Figo, it was the same problem.

Ronaldo is a bitch, plain and simple. When Man Utd played Barca in the CL Final a couple years back, Ronaldo played like a man possessed, looking like the only Red to show up and actually play that game. He was aggressive, strong, fast, relentless. He singlehandedly scored the 2 goals that game and the Reds lost 3-2. That was the only game of memory where he played top level competition and played to his ability. He is consistently the strongest, fastest, most skilled player on the pitch in every match he plays yet unless he is playing a garbage team, he plays uninterested and without passion. He has YET to show up in International play as us Portuguese are STILL waiting for him to play with the similar passion he plays with while playing for Madrid.

I simply have little to no faith in Portugal and its players to play as a team. The only way I see our team playing to its capabilities is if somehow it can talk Mourinho to manage his country's team, which would require to step away from the major $$$ that Real Madrid is paying him. So in other words, it ain't gonna happen.

Nice synopsis, and accurate. Bout the way I always feel about them. The Ronaldo part is what I always tell my brother who has a freakin' huge man-crush on him. Ronaldo is uber talented but hasn't shown up in the big games and often looks only half-interested. Dude needs to play like he has the team on his back.

Last edited by a moderator: