• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: Computer Savvy People

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm trying to check out my friends blog, but she has her videos stream through Realplayer. I downloaded it, but when I click on the video it says my computer is not configured to watch her videos. According to my computer it says that the plug in is going and all that. But I'm pretty much a dumb ass when it comes to technology so I have no idea whats going on. Anybody know how to make that work?? I have been reading forums and things like that, but it's like a whole different language.

Also, I run Firefox through a Mac if that makes a difference.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not a mac guy at all, but let's see. Is your computer's video card & processor up to date?

Try downloading from download.net the latest video codec and try from there.

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Download RealPlayer SP for Mac - Streaming video/audio player. MacUpdate.com

I'm guessing that is what you want, but do you meet the requirement to run it?
OSX 10.4.11 or later. That would be a OSX Tiger update. OSX Leopard, Snow Leopard, and Lion all came out after Tiger so if you have those it should run.

The only other problem I can see is trying to run it through Firefox. Firefox has it's own option built into the browser for installing and running add-ons. If you click on the orange Firefox in the top left hand corner you will see the Add-on option in drop down box. I just looked and did not see any for realplayer.

You may want to try viewing them through Safari just to rule out the possibility that is your web browser causing the problem before you do anything else.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Real friends don't use RealPlayer.

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Download RealPlayer SP for Mac - Streaming video/audio player. MacUpdate.com

I'm guessing that is what you want, but do you meet the requirement to run it?
OSX 10.4.11 or later. That would be a OSX Tiger update. OSX Leopard, Snow Leopard, and Lion all came out after Tiger so if you have those it should run.

The only other problem I can see is trying to run it through Firefox. Firefox has it's own option built into the browser for installing and running add-ons. If you click on the orange Firefox in the top left hand corner you will see the Add-on option in drop down box. I just looked and did not see any for realplayer.

You may want to try viewing them through Safari just to rule out the possibility that is your web browser causing the problem before you do anything else.

I tried, but same problem. I just decided to give up. Thanks for the help though!!

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly. Doesn't work for shit. Then it tried to download every video that was on a page I was at. I deleted the program.

I like Macs though. It's the only thing I have ever really used so a PC feels off to me.

To be honest, I'm surprise Realplayer is still going. The one advantage it has is the automatic download thing, it "use" to download the youtube and any adult vidz automatically lol....... idk if it still does nowadays.

Did you try finding an updated video codec?

Rvnight18

True story
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I have a mac now, and i really like it. It is simple and user friendly. yes I am a computer moron. But they cost so damn much. next computer my friend is going to build for me. Should be a hell of a lot cheaper, and he is a freaking computer genius. Now only if I could get him to not be shy around girls... No he isn't gay. Think the guy off of Bing Bang theory. Great show by the way...

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A lot of people used realplayer 10+ years ago. It use to be a great codec and media player before divx, mpeg4, and VLC came around. It also use to be the best way to compress your files to send to other people. 10+ years ago a lot of people were still on dialup so a 50mb movie file took hours to download. You also did not have streaming back then for stuff like YouTube.

The times have changed and I have not used Realplayer in easily 7-8 years. Even back then Mpeg2 was the better compression, but it just could not shrink the files down enough to share with most users.

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I ended up just telling her to email me the videos she is going to put on there if she wants me to give her any input. I don't have the patients for computers.

michaelwarner

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I ended up just telling her to email me the videos she is going to put on there if she wants me to give her any input. I don't have the patients for computers.

Could it be that the problem is with Firefox? I use Firefox on a macbookpro and every so often I have issues with a specific site. Try it on Safari and see if you have the same issue.

It's probably not the issue, and I'm not totally "tech savvy" but who knows?...:)