• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

O's acquire Morse from M's from Xavier Avery

skinz2winz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting since I wanted Morse before the year started. Our DH has been a hole all season long and I'm afraid it might be too late now...

jeffro151

Supervisor
Hoopla Cash
$ 34,232.13
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting since I wanted Morse before the year started. Our DH has been a hole all season long and I'm afraid it might be too late now...

It is. Out of all the AL teams vying for the 5 playoff spots, we have the toughest remaining schedule. Over our final 13 games, we have to play Boston & Tampa 10 of those, with 7 being on the road. Unless the rotation learns how to go deep into games night after night, this acquisition of Morse is pointless since he is a rental.

all4ripken

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,999.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Absolutely hate this trade, but not because of Morse:

1) Why didn't they do this EARLIER in the season, or atleast when they were still within shouting distance of the division?

2) I've been high on Avery and thought he may be the future LF and leadoff hitter. I do not agree with trading him for Morse (or at all for that matter), especially since we may only be renting him for a month+ as his contract is up at the end of the year.

hattersgonnahate

Armchair Sabermetrician
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Absolutely hate this trade, but not because of Morse:

1) Why didn't they do this EARLIER in the season, or atleast when they were still within shouting distance of the division?

2) I've been high on Avery and thought he may be the future LF and leadoff hitter. I do not agree with trading him for Morse (or at all for that matter), especially since we may only be renting him for a month+ as his contract is up at the end of the year.

Indeed... part of me wished that the organization had stood pat instead. Why? Because the marginal gain from any trade at this point is going to be minimal at best. Missing the postseason for one year is one thing; sacrificing the future for no apparent gain is just plain foolishness.

Time to demand gutting out the management throughout the entire Orioles organization (manager, pitching coach, hitting coach, GM, owner, etc.-- you name it, all of them)?

Last edited by a moderator:

Youngfan9886

Board Nightmare
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea this was dumb. Pay 1.2M for a struggling hitter who is a free agent next year while also giving up a prospect (granted a prospect with no chance of sticking in the majors). The only way this move will look good is if Morse hits 8-10 hrs over the next month and we make the playoffs.

NJBuckO's

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't have a problem with this. They're still within striking range of both WC and let's face it, Pearce and UUU weren't cutting it as the RH DH. Avery, like Hoes, is a 4th OF at best which you can replace easily, and Morse was a guy alot of us wanted at the beginning of the year. Yea he's had an off year, but who knows, maybe he catches a little fire playing for a contender and helps win a few extra games.

tedman2012

Hoopla Cash
$ 981.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't have a problem with this. They're still within striking range of both WC and let's face it, Pearce and UUU weren't cutting it as the RH DH. Avery, like Hoes, is a 4th OF at best which you can replace easily, and Morse was a guy alot of us wanted at the beginning of the year. Yea he's had an off year, but who knows, maybe he catches a little fire playing for a contender and helps win a few extra games.
hoes are good !!!! he will make us hate the norris deal not to mention a lhp hader

NJBuckO's

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hoes are good !!!! he will make us hate the norris deal not to mention a lhp hader

C'mon, you're not going to hate the Norris deal. Stop. Hoes may be a starter on a AAA caliber Houston team but platoon on a playoff team. Norris will do a good job for us for a few years. Hader who knows anything could happen. We need to go for it in the next 2-3 years.:suds:

tedman2012

Hoopla Cash
$ 981.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
C'mon, you're not going to hate the Norris deal. Stop. Hoes may be a starter on a AAA caliber Houston team but platoon on a playoff team. Norris will do a good job for us for a few years. Hader who knows anything could happen. We need to go for it in the next 2-3 years.:suds:
hoes high obp and avg plus i bet he has a better arm than nate . norris is a bp arm long term . just like steve johnson .

i'm getting sick of watching nate poor play .

hattersgonnahate

Armchair Sabermetrician
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the record, I am okay about the idea of getting Morse-- if anything, it's in line with my personal preference of "buying low" on a player (i.e. getting someone with good-enough career stats who has struggled in the recent past and hoping that he would rebound).

My main issues with the trade are exactly what all4ripken has already stated: the late timing, and the fact that we have to give up a prospect in the process. (The fact that the prospect was Avery made this trade borderline acceptable in my book, though-- I would really hate it had they given up a top prospect for a one-month rental as a desperate move.)

Last edited by a moderator:

tedman2012

Hoopla Cash
$ 981.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the record, I am okay about the idea of getting Morse-- if anything, it's in line with my personal preference of "buying low" on a player (i.e. getting someone with good-enough career stats who has struggled in the recent past and hoping that he would rebound).

My main issues with the trade are exactly what all4ripken has already stated: the late timing, and the fact that we have to give up a prospect in the process. (The fact that the prospect was Avery made this trade borderline acceptable in my book, though-- I would really hate it had they given up a top prospect for a one-month rental as a desperate move.)
the o's have brought in uuuuuuuuuu and alvarez to replace avery and hoes .