• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Oregon @ Nebraska 9/17/2016: ABC/ESPN

CCF151

Low flying fruit bat!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You should fear it. Nebraska will be better next year and it's at their house. I assume you'll be starting another free agent QB, your D stunk it up a lot in 2015, and Helfrich is looking very hot seaty.
:fify:
Zero evidence the Montana kid will win the starting position. He'll have a chance to compete but there's always a possibility the QB's Oregon has already will out perform him.

CCF151

Low flying fruit bat!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well they haven't have they?

I mean the team didn't self destruct instantly, but I don't think helf has exactly picked right up either. He's at least one step down.

As for this game, Nebraska needs to step their shit up, but the ducks will be on only their 3rd game with a new QB under a new OC and weren't exactly scary on defense last year.

I see the Ducks losing two games in the first half of the season, and two in the second half. If the corn holers get them early they might not reach 8 wins. This is going to be a nightmare year for OD and I'm sure most of this site is going to love reading all about it week in and week out.
Really, one down season, mostly because of a young defensive backfield and an injury to the starting QB, and Helf is a "step down" from Chipper? EVERY team has a down year now and then. The Secondary stiffened quite nicely towards the end of the season and they have a good number of talented CB's coming in this cycle as well. As for injuries, they happen sometimes. I still believe if Adams hadn't broken that finger the Duck probably win in East Lansing and against the Cougs, no way he alone would have been enough to overcome Utah. However, it happened and he did break his finger so, it's water under the bridge. Honestly, though Helf has done a pretty damned good job of maintaining the standard on offense, replacing a Heisman QB ain't no easy task. If anyone should be worried about their job next season it's Pelum. He dropped the ball by letting the secondary get so thin.

As for the Nebraska game Oregon should come in favored and win. However, they play the games for a reason, and any team can get up and surprise a stronger team if they come in prepared. Mike Riley probably has more knowledge about the way Oregon system work than any other coach in the B1G so, I wouldn't be surprised if this game is tightly contested.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really, one down season, mostly because of a young defensive backfield and an injury to the starting QB, and Helf is a "step down" from Chipper? EVERY team has a down year now and then. The Secondary stiffened quite nicely towards the end of the season and they have a good number of talented CB's coming in this cycle as well. As for injuries, they happen sometimes. I still believe if Adams hadn't broken that finger the Duck probably win in East Lansing and against the Cougs, no way he alone would have been enough to overcome Utah. However, it happened and he did break his finger so, it's water under the bridge. Honestly, though Helf has done a pretty damned good job of maintaining the standard on offense, replacing a Heisman QB ain't no easy task. If anyone should be worried about their job next season it's Pelum. He dropped the ball by letting the secondary get so thin.

As for the Nebraska game Oregon should come in favored and win. However, they play the games for a reason, and any team can get up and surprise a stronger team if they come in prepared. Mike Riley probably has more knowledge about the way Oregon system work than any other coach in the B1G so, I wouldn't be surprised if this game is tightly contested.
I've predicted the number of losses for the ducks correctly the last 3 years. I'm terrible at picking which upsets a team will win/lose, but I also picked UW's total before the season the last two years and who would win the conference for several years in a row. I see it how I see it.

Saying helf is a step down doesn't mean he's fucking horrible. It means he's not at the very same high level Chip was. I can easily make the claim that it's been at least a small step backward. Not a shock you and some other duck fans aren't in agreement.

I don't think this kid coming in is Mariota or Adams and the lack of developed talent behind him at the QB position should be a huge concern.

While I see Oregon having another extra loss over this year, If Helf is worth as much as you all think he will bounce back in '17. They MUST start getting some hits on the QB commits and find their next home grown 3-4 year kid behind center. The rent-a-senior won't work year after year.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:fify:
Zero evidence the Montana kid will win the starting position. He'll have a chance to compete but there's always a possibility the QB's Oregon has already will out perform him.

Heard the same line of delusional fantasy land when you aquired Vernon Adams. Nike is calling all the shots and your "school" is one of their most expensive marketing campaigns. They expect Ws for all that money invested and loading up on 5th year seniors is one of the latest angles right now to gain a competive advantage.

But hey, this is a game thread. Back to that. Keep those score predictions coming in folks.

CCF151

Low flying fruit bat!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heard the same line of delusional fantasy land when you aquired Vernon Adams. Nike is calling all the shots and your "school" is one of their most expensive marketing campaigns. They expect Ws for all that money invested and loading up on 5th year seniors is one of the latest angles right now to gain a competive advantage.

But hey, this is a game thread. Back to that. Keep those score predictions coming in folks.
From what I've seen this kid isn't even close to what Adams was coming into this year. Add a year under Lockie, Mahalak, Alie, and Jonsen collective belts, he's not going to waltz in and get the job. It will be a competition, believe what you will but it doesn't make you're point of view any more correct than mine.

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You should fear it. Nebraska will be better next year and it's at their house. You'll be starting another free agent QB, your D stunk it up a lot in 2015, and Helfrich is looking very hot seaty.
not sure if you realize it is 2015, but Nebraska isn't all that intimidating at their own place.

Some recent OOC losses the Huskers have lost at home.

USC
Virginia Tech
UCLA
BYU

And although they beat Washington it looks like it was a close game 51-38..And UW wasn't that good that year.

Those are also there OOC games at home since 2007....The other years they went to that teams place. So 4 losses to OOC games over the last 8 years. And those are their "big" home OOC games.

So, Nebraska isn't all that scary at home anymore.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well they haven't have they?

I mean the team didn't self destruct instantly, but I don't think helf has exactly picked right up either. He's at least one step down.

As for this game, Nebraska needs to step their shit up, but the ducks will be on only their 3rd game with a new QB under a new OC and weren't exactly scary on defense last year.

I see the Ducks losing two games in the first half of the season, and two in the second half. If the corn holers get them early they might not reach 8 wins. This is going to be a nightmare year for OD and I'm sure most of this site is going to love reading all about it week in and week out.

Chip Kelly 34-6 in his first 3 years.
Mark Helfrich 33-7 so far in his first 3 seasons 1 game to go.

Chip 2 bowl losses 1 bowl win including 1 NCG loss.
Mark 2 Bowl wins 1 loss including 1 NCG loss

Chip recruiting 32, 13, 9, 16. First year of 32 off what Bellotti did through the year
Mark recruiting 22, 26, 17, Current #10 First year 22 off what Kelly did through the year

Chip total offense 28, 4, 3, 4
Mark total offense 2, 1, 9

Chip Points per game 8, 1, 3, 2
Mark points per game 4, 4, 5

Chip total D 35, 34, 67, 44
Mark total D 37, 87, 115 However 87 and 115 are also under Pellum as DC vs Aliotti

outside of the D Im not seeing a decline.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Believe what you want because I sure will. I've watched both and this offense isn't as deadly as it was under Chip and the defense was never that great, but has fallen quite a bit. Even your own fans have been frustrated over their lack of pressing on the running game when they've had questions at QB.

It's easy to look at results only, but I remember Oregon blowing out almost everyone by 3+ scores where now a lot of those wins are by 1 score.

Of course duck fans don't see any kind of a step back. No one would expect you to see it. Hell, OD still has them going undefeated and winning the natty this year. Just ask him. The rest of us have seen something different.