• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

one game wildcard format

steveringo

People's Front of Judea
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like it. It puts an emphasis on winning your division but it's not your only option. If you don't want to play in the one game play-in then win your division. If anyone says they'd rather be out of the playoffs than playing in the wildcard game they're lying.

They would most certainly be lying...

But ask anyone in or out of the playoffs if they would rather play one game or three games... Anyone that says one would be lying.

tabascojet

king of cake
Hoopla Cash
$ 554,070.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As fun as that would be, it is too much of a disadvantage for the Winner of the WC series... the whole point of the short series is so we dont wait too long between the end of season and the real playoffs... if we do this then 3 games in 2 days then + 1 day for travel and then they play the #1 seed... talk about being tired, and talk about a depleted bullpen/rotation...

mlb already wants the wc to be disadvantaged, i dont see this being an issue. Place more emphasis on winning your division and at the same time give the fans of the game a representation of the season and not some coin flip.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Luck decides the WC, it just does.

Even if you are the better team, with the better starting pitcher, playing at home you have a 45% chance to lose.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
mlb already wants the wc to be disadvantaged, i dont see this being an issue. Place more emphasis on winning your division and at the same time give the fans of the game a representation of the season and not some coin flip.

It is already a disadvantage, but its not a huge disadvantage... With a 3 game series it would be a much bigger disadvantage... the goal is not to prevent upsets, the goal is just to give the one seed a larger advantage than just HOMEFIELD...

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Luck decides the WC, it just does.

Even if you are the better team, with the better starting pitcher, playing at home you have a 45% chance to lose.

you control your luck in this case... If you play in the WC game you got to play to win the game(insert herm edwards video)

tabascojet

king of cake
Hoopla Cash
$ 554,070.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
one thing we can all agree on for sure is that mlb will do the wrong thing.... i expect more wild cards and more one game playoffs in the future.

Sportsguy9695

Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,493.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like it. It is one more game that I get to enjoy plus it makes that one game sooo much more meaningful

Brahmsian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you control your luck in this case... If you play in the WC game you got to play to win the game(insert herm edwards video)

NO ONE ever totally controls luck.

You estimate the probabilities as best you can knowing that, being human, you're going to be wrong sometimes.

That's all ANYONE can do.

There will ALWAYS be a luck factor in athletic events

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its just a money grab and a complete slap in the face to baseball fans everywhere. Either extend the amount of playoff teams to six with 3 playing 6 and 4 playing 5 in a best of five first round series and the winners playing a seven game series against the 1 and 2 seeds who get a bye or scrap it all together and leave it at four. A one game playoff does not make the best team.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's only stupid if the top WC team is easily in front of the second one. Like 5 games.

The Indians were 1 game better than the rays. The rays played in the AL East.

They were clearly the better team. Cobb, price, Moore don't matter. Rays were taking that series

Only an issue if some shitty team gets the 5th spot and wins a lucky game.

I agree that the rays probably would have won a longer series but it is the playoffs and in baseball more than basketball or football you see teams that dont look as good on paper winning. So 5 or 7 game series.