• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

one game wildcard format

tabascojet

king of cake
Hoopla Cash
$ 554,070.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:lame:

baseball is about series and matchups...one game doesnt do it justice

teams tied at the end of a season that need one more game to decide who moves on...fine

this wildcard abomination selig has given us....fail

steveringo

People's Front of Judea
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:lame:

baseball is about series and matchups...one game doesnt do it justice

teams tied at the end of a season that need one more game to decide who moves on...fine

this wildcard abomination selig has given us....fail

I agree.

It needs to be a two-out-of-three game series in one city as soon as the season is over. They can fit it in the same current time frame to have the DS start at the same time...

(They would need to add to their tie-breaker rules to avoid three, or more, way ties.)

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont love it nor do i hate it... i see the logic behind it... 2 things it does do which is very nice is that it increases the importance of winning a division, and it gives the number one seed an extra advantage going into a 5 game series...

Sox33OSU

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well then why don't we just get rid of the wild card altogether? That REALLY increases the importance of winning a division.

Cleveland played 162 games, same as TB, and Cleveland had the better record. They earned a spot in the playoffs. Instead they play an arbitrary one-game scenario to see who gets to go to the actual playoffs. It's completely nonsensical and adds nothing to the game.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well then why don't we just get rid of the wild card altogether? That REALLY increases the importance of winning a division.

Cleveland played 162 games, same as TB, and Cleveland had the better record. They earned a spot in the playoffs. Instead they play an arbitrary one-game scenario to see who gets to go to the actual playoffs. It's completely nonsensical and adds nothing to the game.

As a baseball decision you guys are correct the one game format is terrible... But as we all know baseball(and all major sports) is a business first... this wild card game, makes the regular season more exciting, which is good for the fans since they will continue to come to games...

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They need to forget about saying the two WC teams made the playoffs and simply call it a play in game, for that is what it truly is.

Sox33OSU

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They need to forget about saying the two WC teams made the playoffs and simply call it a play in game, for that is what it truly is.

:agree:

100% correct.

steveringo

People's Front of Judea
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

:agree:

100% correct.

Well, that is just semantics. It is all the post season.

If you don't like the term "wild-card", I propose calling it "The Dr. Jones Lunatic Serial Popsicle Round"

It sounds like we are all in agreement that the one-game format was a bad decision...

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 977.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a baseball decision you guys are correct the one game format is terrible... But as we all know baseball(and all major sports) is a business first... this wild card game, makes the regular season more exciting, which is good for the fans since they will continue to come to games...

Nailed it.

This accomplishes two things: it makes it easier for the Division winners to advance to the LCS/WS, and it makes the last couple of weeks of the season a little more watchable, to see who else gets in besides those teams which clinched a month ago.

We all know they don't want to lengthen the playoffs OR shorten the regular season. This was the best of both worlds for the execs.

tabascojet

king of cake
Hoopla Cash
$ 554,070.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
costas stole by double header idea for the wc series......that bastard!!

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 977.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
costas stole by double header idea for the wc series......that bastard!!

Costas pees sitting down.

How many times are we going to hear his name called to replace Bud Selig? The man doesn't know the first thing about being a businessman. He's what they call "talent" in the TV industry. It's a pejorative that loosely translates into "will read whatever's on the prompter, a la on Burgundy...and has a purty mouth."

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
San Francisco -- The edge of the western world.
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MLB should at the very least have the 2 wild card teams play a best of 3 series, w/ the team having the better record hosting it.

baseball is a game based on 3's.
3 strikes....3 outs.....3 bases......3 outfielders.....3 game series' all throughout the season.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. Fate shouldn't be decided on one game, when you play 162 games. They should push the season up maybe a week and play a 3-game WC series.

And right when they change this WC shit, it so happens Cleveland gets the WC. But they don't get in (which they nirmally have would) bc if ONE GAME. Baseball isn't like football, they don't have this in any sport. One game to get in the playoffs. I understand this is to make money and a business decision, but the setup is horrible. They can make more profit with a 3-game series and make it more fair.

I say either add one more WC, so 6 teams make it (maybe top 2 teams get byes or just do 1-6, 2-5, 4-3 setup) OR have a 3-game series in the WC game.

tabascojet

king of cake
Hoopla Cash
$ 554,070.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
3 game wc series , day/ night double header first day and game 3 the next night if needed.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
3 game wc series , day/ night double header first day and game 3 the next night if needed.

As fun as that would be, it is too much of a disadvantage for the Winner of the WC series... the whole point of the short series is so we dont wait too long between the end of season and the real playoffs... if we do this then 3 games in 2 days then + 1 day for travel and then they play the #1 seed... talk about being tired, and talk about a depleted bullpen/rotation...

steveringo

People's Front of Judea
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As fun as that would be, it is too much of a disadvantage for the Winner of the WC series... the whole point of the short series is so we dont wait too long between the end of season and the real playoffs... if we do this then 3 games in 2 days then + 1 day for travel and then they play the #1 seed... talk about being tired, and talk about a depleted bullpen/rotation...

They should have a small disadvantage....

I'm sure every team would vote for three games instead of one.

Team can re-set their rosters between rounds, so they may need to replace one reliever - but that is about it.... Two games on Tues, one (if needed) Wednesday. Off Thurs. Game Fri & Sat. Off Sun.... That is five games in six days.

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's only stupid if the top WC team is easily in front of the second one. Like 5 games.

The Indians were 1 game better than the rays. The rays played in the AL East.

They were clearly the better team. Cobb, price, Moore don't matter. Rays were taking that series

Only an issue if some shitty team gets the 5th spot and wins a lucky game.

Brahmsian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

For business reasons the WC probably won't ever be eliminated, but I wouldn't mind being proved wrong.

Let's just hope there will never be more Wild Cards than we've already got. That's a more
realistic wish.

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like it. It puts an emphasis on winning your division but it's not your only option. If you don't want to play in the one game play-in then win your division. If anyone says they'd rather be out of the playoffs than playing in the wildcard game they're lying.