• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Old Timers

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK, since its slow for us skins fans right now, I'm going to throw out some old Reskins names. Tell me if you know when they played and if you can remember what they stood out for.

Eddie Brown
Pete Wysocki
Ron McDole
Rich Milot
Charlie Gogolak
Herb Mul-Key
Alvin Garrett

obxyankeefan

Hoopla Cash
$ 63,137.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK, since its slow for us skins fans right now, I'm going to throw out some old Reskins names. Tell me if you know when they played and if you can remember what they stood out for.

Eddie Brown
Pete Wysocki
Ron McDole
Rich Milot
Charlie Gogolak
Herb Mul-Key
Alvin Garrett

Garrett was one of the Smurfs.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Garrett was one of the Smurfs.

correct. But he was involved (kinda) in a major incident that brought a famous person down.....remember what it was?

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the 1st 2 were special teamers on allen's team

mcdole was the dancing bear and a DE for allen

milot was a MLB

gogolak was the 1st soccer style kicker and a former redskins

herb mul key was an allen find at a everyone come and try out thing and he became our KR

garrett is mentioned above

obxyankeefan

Hoopla Cash
$ 63,137.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
correct. But he was involved (kinda) in a major incident that brought a famous person down.....remember what it was?

The thing I remember about the Smurfs was Michael Downs jumping into their touchdown celebration and causing the NFL rules on celebrations.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

milot was a MLB

herb mul key was an allen find at a everyone come and try out thing and he became our KR

Dad, you're showing your age! You are correct on all counts. Some of these guys have very interesting stories...

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The thing I remember about the Smurfs was Michael Downs jumping into their touchdown celebration and causing the NFL rules on celebrations.

Alvin was the reason that Howard Cosell got fired from MNF. It was Alvin that caught a short pass and turned it into a long TD that caused Howard to utter the now infamous phrase "look at that little monkey run". Howard was fired because of this statement as it was perceived as being a racial slur toward Alvin. Ironically, Howard was anything but a racist, it was just a stupid statement. Howard was well known for promoting racial equality and was a close personal friend of Muhammad Ali.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

milot was a MLB

Mul-Key is an interesting one. He didnt play college ball. He came to an open tryout held by Allen. He ran a sub 4.4 40 in the pouring rain and Allen signed him immediately. Since Allen didn't believe in starting rookies, Herb didn't see any action until late in the season when their starting Kick returner got injured. Allen told Herb he was to be the returner the next game against Dallas. Herb went out on the practice field to prepare by himself and slipped and broke his shoulder. He didn't tell anyone and played. He ended up returning 6 KOs for over 170 yds and was the second running back and ran for over 70 yds. He had over 270 total yards for the game, a Redskins record for first games.

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eddie Brown --- ST returner under Allen
Pete Wysocki -- LB by trade by career STer
Ron McDole - Dancing Bear - DE brought in by Allen and part of the Over the Hill Gang -- number 79
Rich Milot -- #57 - outside LB from Penn State, played the first couple of years under Gibbs
Charlie Gogolak -- younger brother of Pete Gogolak of the Giants who was the first soccer style kicker, Charlie was the first soccer style kicker in Washington, I believe under Otto Graham
Herb Mul-Key -- no college Herb Mul-key, kick returner who tried out in a prospect camp. #29 or 28 I think --- movie made about the Eagle STer should have been made about Mul-key, he was better
Alvin Garrett --- #89 one of the Smurfs under Gibbs. Virgil Seay being another. I believe it was Garrett running down the sideline when Howard Cosell uttered these words "look at that little monkey run" Cosell was let go by Monday night football shortly after.

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well hell you answered most of the questions before I saw this.

Anyhow, Milot was an OLB and Charlie Gogolak was the first Redskin soccer style kicker, his brother Pete was the first NFL soccer style kicker.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eddie Brown --- ST returner under Allen
Pete Wysocki -- LB by trade by career STer
Ron McDole - Dancing Bear - DE brought in by Allen and part of the Over the Hill Gang -- number 79
Rich Milot -- #57 - outside LB from Penn State, played the first couple of years under Gibbs
Charlie Gogolak -- younger brother of Pete Gogolak of the Giants who was the first soccer style kicker, Charlie was the first soccer style kicker in Washington, I believe under Otto Graham
Herb Mul-Key -- no college Herb Mul-key, kick returner who tried out in a prospect camp. #29 or 28 I think --- movie made about the Eagle STer should have been made about Mul-key, he was better
Alvin Garrett --- #89 one of the Smurfs under Gibbs. Virgil Seay being another. I believe it was Garrett running down the sideline when Howard Cosell uttered these words "look at that little monkey run" Cosell was let go by Monday night football shortly after.

Very good. Remember the MNG where Eddie Brown returned the punt against the stl cardinals on a field that was flooded? He barely made it in between the ankle high water and running through about 6 cardinals.

Also, remember how mcdole got the nickname and who gave it to him?

Last edited by a moderator:

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very good. Remember the MNG where Eddie Brown returned the punt against the stl cardinals on a field that was flooded? He barely made it in between the ankle high water and running through about 6 cardinals.

I do remember that.

Here are a few more:
Rickie Harris:
Joe Don Looney:
Jim "Yazoo" Smith"
Harold McClinton
Norm Snead

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do remember that.

Here are a few more:
Rickie Harris:
Joe Don Looney:
Jim "Yazoo" Smith"
Harold McClinton
Norm Snead

Uh oh. They may before even my time. I only know McClinton. He was a MLB, right? The rest of the names I recognize. I know Snead was a QB.

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Uh oh. They may before even my time. I only know McClinton. He was a MLB, right? The rest of the names I recognize. I know Snead was a QB.

Right McClinton was MLB prior to Lombardi. Was killed in the 70s when he stopped to help someone with car troubles on I-295 and another car driving up the road lost control and hit him. Had a son that played basketball at Univ of MD.

Snead was drafted No. 1 in 1961 --- 2nd pick overall and you are correct that he was a QB.

You'll need the Way Back Machine for the rest. They were from my earliest years as a Redskin fan.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do remember that.

Here are a few more:
Rickie Harris:
Joe Don Looney:
Jim "Yazoo" Smith"
Harold McClinton
Norm Snead

harris was a safety in the 60's returned a punt for a td vs giants in highest scoring game of all time
joe don looney was an RB for us in the 50's
yazzo smith was a bust draft choice for us
mcclinton was our MLB during the allane years
snead was the 1st overall draft pick of the 62 skins and was traded for sonny along with claude crabb

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
harris was a safety in the 60's returned a punt for a td vs giants in highest scoring game of all time
joe don looney was an RB for us in the 50's
yazzo smith was a bust draft choice for us
mcclinton was our MLB during the allane years
snead was the 1st overall draft pick of the 62 skins and was traded for sonny along with claude crabb

Pretty good dad:
Harris was a safety and KR
Joe Don Looney played in the 60s, Redskins obtained him in a trade, never did much, most famous play as a Redskin was punching an oncoming rusher while in pass defense
Jim Yazoo Smith was a first round DB, supposed to replace Harris, broke his neck in his rookie year and that ended his career. He was only a bust because of the injury.
McClinton was the MLB drafted by Lombardi and through Allen's tenure
Norm Snead - correct. I believe both Sonny and Snead were ACC QBs --- Sonny at Duke and Snead at Wake Forest.

Krusheasy

Still Not a Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 474.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
seems like appropriate place to post this ...

[ame="[MEDIA=twitter]423886926119055360[/MEDIA]"][/ame]

[ame="[MEDIA=twitter]423887182185508864[/MEDIA]"][/ame]

[ame="[MEDIA=twitter]423887729164693504[/MEDIA]"][/ame]

Last edited by a moderator: