• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Oklahoma Quarterback Kyler Murray Suspended

BusSport

Mountain Goat Racer
Hoopla Cash
$ 115,625,688.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dean Blevins said:
Lotta rumors that QB Murray suspended. My sources indicate nothing major ... but possibly would not start v Bay for minor violation — possibly something like late to practice. Nothing serious long term, as some suggested. Nothing confirmed. @news9

Whew, looks like nothing serious! Sorry, fellow Sooner fans, had to give you all the same feeling I had when I saw the headline. :whistle:

handicappers

FAT STACKS BITCHES
Hoopla Cash
$ 196,499.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OU can win with a WR playing QB. They are the best program in the country right now.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 977.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So what, he doesn't play the opening series?

Baylor by 12 scores now, I guess? :noidea:

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is why you don't let a dude that has already signed a multi million dollar baseball contract QB for your football team. He's not gonna be as focused as he used to be when everyone knows good and damn well that the only reason he came back was to chase college tail for one more year.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so hes is or isnt suspneded, ? cant find anything else anywhere

Wishbone

Robust Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From OU insider...

-- I'll start with Kyler Murray since there’s a thread that blew up on our board after Dean Blevins tweeted about the Kyler Murray rumored- let me accentuate RUMORED- suspension.

I most certainly DIDN’T want to address this because of how little of a deal it is.

Frankly, I am not sure Murray misses any time at all over something like this. If he does it’s a quarter AT MOST.

Hence, my hesitation to write about it at all!

Here is what I know:

Look, Murray missed class/late to meeting/practice type deal. It's nothing big, folks. As I stated above, it won't be more than a quarter suspension, if he misses any time at all. That’s how little of deal this is, folks.

RJ, Collin and myself have been all over this all day long. We really didn't feel like addressing it at all because of how small of a deal this is.

It's basically Riley and OU staff making sure Murray understands that he abides by same rules as the rest of the team, despite being a millionaire. It's not something that has been a repeated issue, so OU was merely nipping it in the bud before it potentially got out of hand.

Punishment looks like it will be handled and OU will still have Murray tomorrow. End of story.

---- Moving on from that to good news with Jalen Redmond.

As Sooners head coach Lincoln Riley talked about, on Wednesday, OU freshman defensive end/OLB Jalen Redmond has begun to practice some.

Now, before we get ahead of ourselves, know that he is in full pads, but only doing conditioning and non-contact drills. Still, that is amazing considering the situation that arose during the summer.

Redmond is a tough kid and has the heart of lion. I covered him in high school and to get where he is, having only played two years of high school, is testament to the person he is off the field.

The question everyone asks is if OU will play Redmond at all this year? From people I have spoken with they still believe he is a redshirt, despite the new four game rule.

Now, could he play if he comes along enough? Sure. Do you want to risk that? It all depends how far along the doctors feel Redmond is, along with Redmond and his family comfortability with him playing.

Regardless, having Redmond out there in spring ball is a win for OU, and most importantly a win for Redmond over what could have been a career ending situation.

Personally- and I know I am supposed to keep personal feelings out -I am so happy for Jalen. Was crushed when I found out and to see him make it back this quick is very inspiring. Thing is, I wouldn't expect anything different from Redmond. Just the type of kid he is.

--- I have spoken to sources that tell me Ben Powers could be out tomorrow. Sources weren't 100% sure of it, but did say, if he ends up sitting, that Jonathan Alvarez would play in his spot at left guard.
Source said that Powers suffered a lower body injury. I will look early on to see if Powers comes out during warmups tomorrow.

The good news is that OU is in good shape with Alvarez as his replacement. Not many teams have a former starter, with Alvarez experience, to replace a big time player like Powers. This is, once again, a testament to Bill Bedenbaugh and the depth he has built on the offensive line.

Again, hope to have more clarification there in pregame warmups tomorrow.

--- As for the game?

Well, I hear the defense talk from you all. I really do. I just want to see more this year.

I spoke about Army being an outlier, because of the type of offense they run, on the Tulsa Sports Animal, this morning. So, when I say that I think OU played well the first two games, but not last two I meant it. Seeing that OU didn't play but two variations of the 50 front, versus Army, last Saturday, I can't really use that as a sample.

My reasonings are because OU played without Q Overton and Tyreece Lott in the middle of the defense. In a game like that it really hurts not having your rotations. Dillon Faamatau talked about being exhausted, as did Amani Bledsoe. They didn't play more snaps, but the physicality of the game wore them out in a much different way.

Do I think that is an excuse that is viable and believable? Yes and no.

Yes, because you need your rotations and having your full rotation, on the interior of the defense, could have changed things. Especially, with a guy like Overton, who was out, because he is a wrestler and knows how to play through guys constantly going at your legs on every play. It's not new to him. I really believe he would have shined versus Army.

No, because you are ultimately OU. Your personnel is far superior to Army's despite them being the toughest team OU will face, mentally, all year. Base defense. Exotic defense. It shouldn't matter versus Army.

So, I guess I tend to be somewhere in the middle on that game. I am not saying there is excuses and its okay, but I am also not saying that I give OU a pass. Things need to improve..... NOW.

That brings us to this week versus Baylor.

You think Hakeem Butler versus Iowa State was tough for OU secondary? Well, Baylor brings in Denzel Mims and Jalen Hurd who are both massive receivers that will likely be playing on Sunday's in the near future.

Both of Baylor's go to receivers are about six foot four and well over 215 pounds, despite what their team roster might say.

Mike Stoops spoke, specifically, on Hurd, last Tuesday and seems to be very impressed with the transition the former Tennessee Vols running back made to receiver saying, "He's transitioned well. They still play him a bit at running back, but he's moved into the slot and is playing well. He has good mobility in there and for guy that has played running back [the majority of his career] that shows you how talented that kid is."

Mimms torched OU last season with 11 receptions and 192 yards to go with 3 touchdowns.

Oklahoma doesn't have the biggest corners, but Trey Norwood has been good at coverage all year. Norwood is also built a bit a longer than Sooners junior cornerback, Parnell Motley, with Norwood a little over six feet tall. Norwood also has very long arms. His frame and length is what made Iowa State pick on Motley in week three.

I could see Mike Stoops having Norwood follow Mims around the field and shadow him all game because of his length.

As for the rest of the defense, I just think that OU should play better with guys back and playing a team that fits your personnel on defense.

Lastly, if Baylor scores 30 I consider it a bad game. In the Big 12 the standard should be to hold everyone to under 30. If you do that you will most likely win every game.

There is circumstances where you give up 450 yards and still it being consider good defense, but that would mean OU is forcing turnovers. Something we haven't OU do a lot of this year, just yet.

I can't remember what I wrote for my prediction this week, on staff picks, but I predict OU to win 49-28.

That is awfully close to the 30 point threshold...... Still a win..... On to Texas....

Have fun today.... It's GameDay!

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OU can win with a WR playing QB. They are the best program in the country right now.
tenor.gif

Wishbone

Robust Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will say I'm not a big Austin Kendall fan. He looks like a poor man Landry Jones to me. I doubt he beats out Spencer Rattler next year either.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will say I'm not a big Austin Kendall fan. He looks like a poor man Landry Jones to me. I doubt he beats out Spencer Rattler next year either.
At one time Landry Jones was thought of as a first rounder, and he is an nfl qb , just saying , and I fn hate Landry jones

TigerBait1971

Roll Tide? What? FUCK YOU! lolz
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From OU insider...

-- I'll start with Kyler Murray since there’s a thread that blew up on our board after Dean Blevins tweeted about the Kyler Murray rumored- let me accentuate RUMORED- suspension.

I most certainly DIDN’T want to address this because of how little of a deal it is.

Frankly, I am not sure Murray misses any time at all over something like this. If he does it’s a quarter AT MOST.

Hence, my hesitation to write about it at all!

Here is what I know:

Look, Murray missed class/late to meeting/practice type deal. It's nothing big, folks. As I stated above, it won't be more than a quarter suspension, if he misses any time at all. That’s how little of deal this is, folks.

RJ, Collin and myself have been all over this all day long. We really didn't feel like addressing it at all because of how small of a deal this is.

It's basically Riley and OU staff making sure Murray understands that he abides by same rules as the rest of the team, despite being a millionaire. It's not something that has been a repeated issue, so OU was merely nipping it in the bud before it potentially got out of hand.

Punishment looks like it will be handled and OU will still have Murray tomorrow. End of story.

---- Moving on from that to good news with Jalen Redmond.

As Sooners head coach Lincoln Riley talked about, on Wednesday, OU freshman defensive end/OLB Jalen Redmond has begun to practice some.

Now, before we get ahead of ourselves, know that he is in full pads, but only doing conditioning and non-contact drills. Still, that is amazing considering the situation that arose during the summer.

Redmond is a tough kid and has the heart of lion. I covered him in high school and to get where he is, having only played two years of high school, is testament to the person he is off the field.

The question everyone asks is if OU will play Redmond at all this year? From people I have spoken with they still believe he is a redshirt, despite the new four game rule.

Now, could he play if he comes along enough? Sure. Do you want to risk that? It all depends how far along the doctors feel Redmond is, along with Redmond and his family comfortability with him playing.

Regardless, having Redmond out there in spring ball is a win for OU, and most importantly a win for Redmond over what could have been a career ending situation.

Personally- and I know I am supposed to keep personal feelings out -I am so happy for Jalen. Was crushed when I found out and to see him make it back this quick is very inspiring. Thing is, I wouldn't expect anything different from Redmond. Just the type of kid he is.

--- I have spoken to sources that tell me Ben Powers could be out tomorrow. Sources weren't 100% sure of it, but did say, if he ends up sitting, that Jonathan Alvarez would play in his spot at left guard.
Source said that Powers suffered a lower body injury. I will look early on to see if Powers comes out during warmups tomorrow.

The good news is that OU is in good shape with Alvarez as his replacement. Not many teams have a former starter, with Alvarez experience, to replace a big time player like Powers. This is, once again, a testament to Bill Bedenbaugh and the depth he has built on the offensive line.

Again, hope to have more clarification there in pregame warmups tomorrow.

--- As for the game?

Well, I hear the defense talk from you all. I really do. I just want to see more this year.

I spoke about Army being an outlier, because of the type of offense they run, on the Tulsa Sports Animal, this morning. So, when I say that I think OU played well the first two games, but not last two I meant it. Seeing that OU didn't play but two variations of the 50 front, versus Army, last Saturday, I can't really use that as a sample.

My reasonings are because OU played without Q Overton and Tyreece Lott in the middle of the defense. In a game like that it really hurts not having your rotations. Dillon Faamatau talked about being exhausted, as did Amani Bledsoe. They didn't play more snaps, but the physicality of the game wore them out in a much different way.

Do I think that is an excuse that is viable and believable? Yes and no.

Yes, because you need your rotations and having your full rotation, on the interior of the defense, could have changed things. Especially, with a guy like Overton, who was out, because he is a wrestler and knows how to play through guys constantly going at your legs on every play. It's not new to him. I really believe he would have shined versus Army.

No, because you are ultimately OU. Your personnel is far superior to Army's despite them being the toughest team OU will face, mentally, all year. Base defense. Exotic defense. It shouldn't matter versus Army.

So, I guess I tend to be somewhere in the middle on that game. I am not saying there is excuses and its okay, but I am also not saying that I give OU a pass. Things need to improve..... NOW.

That brings us to this week versus Baylor.

You think Hakeem Butler versus Iowa State was tough for OU secondary? Well, Baylor brings in Denzel Mims and Jalen Hurd who are both massive receivers that will likely be playing on Sunday's in the near future.

Both of Baylor's go to receivers are about six foot four and well over 215 pounds, despite what their team roster might say.

Mike Stoops spoke, specifically, on Hurd, last Tuesday and seems to be very impressed with the transition the former Tennessee Vols running back made to receiver saying, "He's transitioned well. They still play him a bit at running back, but he's moved into the slot and is playing well. He has good mobility in there and for guy that has played running back [the majority of his career] that shows you how talented that kid is."

Mimms torched OU last season with 11 receptions and 192 yards to go with 3 touchdowns.

Oklahoma doesn't have the biggest corners, but Trey Norwood has been good at coverage all year. Norwood is also built a bit a longer than Sooners junior cornerback, Parnell Motley, with Norwood a little over six feet tall. Norwood also has very long arms. His frame and length is what made Iowa State pick on Motley in week three.

I could see Mike Stoops having Norwood follow Mims around the field and shadow him all game because of his length.

As for the rest of the defense, I just think that OU should play better with guys back and playing a team that fits your personnel on defense.

Lastly, if Baylor scores 30 I consider it a bad game. In the Big 12 the standard should be to hold everyone to under 30. If you do that you will most likely win every game.

There is circumstances where you give up 450 yards and still it being consider good defense, but that would mean OU is forcing turnovers. Something we haven't OU do a lot of this year, just yet.

I can't remember what I wrote for my prediction this week, on staff picks, but I predict OU to win 49-28.

That is awfully close to the 30 point threshold...... Still a win..... On to Texas....

Have fun today.... It's GameDay!

Blank+_fdba9b422df159a95f06247820afb712.png