• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ok no joke.. Charlie is out

Four4Four

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just read it on Philly.com. Press conference at 230pm. Damn. I knew it had to happen.....but when it does, I'm still a little shock.

_phiLLies_

shut up baby, i know it
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
just saw an article as well on csn. thank god. knowing the phils, i was sure they were working on a secret 5 year deal.

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just read it on Philly.com. Press conference at 230pm. Damn. I knew it had to happen.....but when it does, I'm still a little shock.

Just a little more info.

The Phillies have a press conference scheduled for 2:30 p.m. today and have refused to indicate what it’s about, but Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com knows: Charlie Manuel is out as manager.
Manuel recently won his 1,000th career game and it’s unclear if he’s being forced out or leaving on his own at age 69. He has a .551 winning percentage since taking over as the Phillies’ manager in 2005, finishing .500 or better in each season before this year and taking the team to back-to-back World Series in 2008 and 2009.
It’d be a shame if Manuel is taking the fall for the Phillies’ decline, because he’s a well-liked and extremely successful manager who certainly can’t be blamed for most of the front office decision-making that led to the deterioration of the roster.
UPDATE: Salisbury reports that third base coach Ryne Sandberg is expected to replace Manuel as manager for the remainder of this season and possibly on a full-time basis

Four4Four

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think he's being blame for this. It was time. Charlie is 70+ years old. The team has declined ever since winning it all in 08. A full overhaul was and is needed

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
wow. i knew it had to happen, but it's still like... wow

_phiLLies_

shut up baby, i know it
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
here's to hoping sandberg has a pair. i'd love to seem him sit and drop rollins, push howard out of cleanup and various other things.

the team is at least looking better now. asche is up, ruf is up, a young and fresh manager who had a great baseball career himself and knows our younger guys.

Four4Four

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Charlie will be missed and appreciated. Favorite Charlie moment when he and Meyers got into after Manuel pulled him. I think that was in 08.

jvett77

Hoopla Cash
$ 836.47
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Holy shit. I just saw the news on MLB then the CSN news conference a few minutes ago.They're replaying it at 4 PM. I expected this when the season ended. But he had a good run. Time for new blood and Sandberg. Players, particularly Rollins, have been loafing and those base running mistakes by the team have sucked. Thanks for those 780 wins!

Caligula

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
So, Rueben acted like a tard in the off season, didn't sell at the deadline, resigned a second baseman with two bad knees, and has now set up Sandberg for failure.

Great job, you clown.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree Caligula. Charlie's time had come and he needs to retire or move into the booth with Kruk. But brain-dead is setting up Sandberg for failure because of the trash he has drug in here to go along with the aging trash we already have. I'd like to see Sandberg show brain-dead up and turn this thing around especially with guys like Asche and Dom Brown and maybe call-up Franco. That would the nest in-your- face move for a young manager.

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Best manager the Phillies have had. Period. Hopefully Sandberg does a good job. If ten years from now, people are saying Sandberg is an idiot, it will mean he has been very successful.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep the set-up is in full swing as the Dodgers blanked us 4 zip.

WestCoastPhan

Northern California formerly from Bucks County
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Best manager the Phillies have had. Period. Hopefully Sandberg does a good job. If ten years from now, people are saying Sandberg is an idiot, it will mean he has been very successful.

sorry but i completely disagree. a chimpanzee would have been successful with this team between '07-'11. glad to see him go. it is something that i wished for a long time ago.

Progeriakid

Hanging Pork
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only problem I have is they didn't have to do it now, this season is done and over and the man just won his 1000th game as a manager and they were going to honor him before the game tonight which obviously didn't happen, why not either let the man have his night and the fans and players pay him homage one last time before they let him go or just let the rest of the season playout the way it may, it's not like they were making a playoff push...As much as I think of him a babbling moron he still should have been let go with respect and dignity, two things I think they may have crushed on a night we should have been honoring him one last time.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I did not know that Progeriakid. That sheds an entirely different twist on the transaction and it is more of the same backwards disjointed approach of brain-dead. I can see some dissenting points in that it would have been more civil to let the season play out and respect Manuel for his accomplishments. On the flipside, if Sandburg is going to be the man for next year, maybe it is better to get him in there and see how the chemistry develops. If it is a good one, they are further ahead. If it is not, then they can search for another candidate without screwing-up another season next year.

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
sorry but i completely disagree. a chimpanzee would have been successful with this team between '07-'11. glad to see him go. it is something that i wished for a long time ago.

Yeah, you're not the only one.
The guy wins one of two world championships in the history of the franchise and people are mad because he didn't win 2 or 3. Winning the World Series is very hard. There is more than one very good team every year. There is a good chance we will never see the Phillies in back to back World Series again in our lifetime, much less winning both.

I forget, did Billy Cunningham take this much shit for just winning one NBA title?

_phiLLies_

shut up baby, i know it
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
managing a baseball team is by far the easiest of the 4 major sports. it's not like sandberg (or anyone else) is going to do anything special with the current situation and team.

however, manuel had some very poor qualities. his unwillingness to change being one. his loyalty to vets, another. and of course, his actual in game managing. amaro is basically the same. hooked on vets, not giving up on them, not making changes due to some absurd belief they will magically flick the light switch on.

the fact that the phils won a world series, the divisions titles, etc.. has little to do with manuel. they built their farm, added payroll and put a great product on the field for years. once that product deteriorated, what happened? where did this great managing go?

generally speaking, the differences in managers all across the board are extremely slim. 162 games, 9 innings per. they all put in the same work. it's the ability to adjust when things aren't going as they should and the balls to make the changes without worrying about hurting someone's feelings.

i was disappointed to see the lineup last night. might as well been charlie filling it out. i hope sandberg uses his time to try new things, else, what was the point? personally, young would not play at all. this would be my lineup every single day up top..

asche
frandsen
utley
brown
ruf

and whatever the hell ever in the back. the remaining guys are all done. amaro needs to force rollins out any way he can.

on a side note; cameron rupp has turned the corner nicely at lehigh, batting .319 with an .852 ops since the break in 72 AB. if they bring back ruiz next year.. i just can't picture being a fan. it has to stop.

jvett77

Hoopla Cash
$ 836.47
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At this point, few in the lineup are hitting consistently as I showed in "How a Team Goes 5-20", and with Revere out of the leadoff spot, little can be done. I'm looking forward to the September tryouts.

Caligula

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

Sox fans said the same thing about Francona. Fact is, the Phillies just concluded one of their most successful stretches in the history of the franchise. Saying that had nothing to do with the manager is just wrong. Especially when you look at the starting rotation of the 2007 team.

If Manual was a chimp, then so was Ozark. And that meanings Bowa was a corpse sine he was floundering with the same group of players that Manual won with.