• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Offseason- Our Team 2015 FA: Keep?

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
23 players are about to become free agents for the Bears- Which means we will have some cap space. And Many needs. I only see one player they should resign... Paea.

Briggs
Tillman
Garza
DJ Williams
Paea - Keep only multi-year deal.
Conte
Sharper
De La Puente- Keep One year deal
Clausen
McManis
McCray
Scott
Rosario
Cain- Keep (long snapper)
Britton
Miller- Keep (TE) For CHEAP one year deal
Hurst
Louis-Jean
Lattimore
Feely
Waters
Coston

How different will this team look next year? 20-23 NEW players... assuming Tresty is back this could be really different next year.

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Missed Josh Morgan... eh. Nope.

C

cubzzzfanincali

It's a little premature to have this discussion, since we don't really know how the free agent market looks yet. Obviously some of these guys may have to be resigned because the markets at their position aren't that great. Safety, for example, looks horrible.

I don't think there is anyone on the roster who is a "must re-sign." The only really absolute must-do I can see this offseason is extending Jeffery. Everything else is less crucial.

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
who is sharper, you mean sharpton? that man has plugged more holes than wilt chamberlain on a circus trip. He is a definite resign for me.

Cap space is a dangerous thing, I hope the free agents they sign are all under 25, no more old farts.

oh, and that Allen roster bonus next season of 11.5 million is part of his guaranteed deal, so he isnt going anywhere.

Last edited by a moderator:

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cali- I've grown tired of the Cutler bashing and wanted to change the topic... just saw this somewhere, and with us out of the Playoffs, figured- why not. Eh.

thunderspirit

KFFL expatriate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For me:
De La Puente and Sharpton are a yes.
Would like Paea back, but it depends on price.
I'd bring Conte, Hurst, and Louis-Jean back too.

Tillman deserves a Bear-for-life retirement contract.

nebearsfan70

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with you Joey. The Bears need to go after Sharpton, Paea, De La Puenta, and Cain. Not sure what they are going to do in the FA market because it is a little too early, as Cali pointed out, but it will be interesting to see if they can fill some holes.

Dirk

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd like piehead to get a decent multi year deal, but wouldn't overspend for him. Contract year, finally staying healthy 4 years in.

As for the rest?
Britton
Miller- Keep (TE) For CHEAP one year deal
Hurst
Louis-Jean
McManis
McCray
Sharpton.

We've seen what happens when you don't go with a couple special teamers dedicated to that job and it's not pretty. Thats what the McManis and Mcray picks are for.

Hurst and Louie-john are young enough to try and develop as nickels/replacements for Jennings when he's gone in a year or two.
Sharpton imo is worth the one year vet min deal to compete as a starter. Can we count on him staying healthy? probably not, but then again which of our old LB's could we? DJ? BBQ? both hurt as much as they've played and Imo Sharpton has outplayed both of them when he's been healthy.
Britton and miller come back as depth(well, maybe britton fights for a starting spot on the line at RT?)

C

cubzzzfanincali

Just curious, how much do you all think Jeffery's extension should cost?

nebearsfan70

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
An extension for Jeffery would be costly as hell, but in my opinion well worth it. Add a top 5 QB in the draft and we can see some great games in the future (not saying he doesn't have them with Cutler but I can't help but wonder how explosive the Bears would be with a better QB?)

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I need to see comps for similar WR's @ this time in their career- I'll look that up after work. I'm affraid it might be more then we would like to spend. He's def. worth an extension... but it might be better to wait until next offseason depending on our overall cap space and what other positions they are looking at more urgent need. (we don't have to resign him with one year left on his deal, but yeah he deserves it)

C

cubzzzfanincali

It's a little hard to say. Last year's top WR signing was DeSean Jackson, he got 4/24 and a 5 mil signing bonus, and $16 guaranteed. I don't think most people doubt that Jeffery should fetch a premium compared to him. Mike Wallace pulled in 5/60, $11 million to sign and $30 million guaranteed 2 years ago. Marshall's extension was 3/30 with 7.5 to sign and 22.5 guaranteed.

Given inflation and youth pushing his numbers up, but considering we could give him more guaranteed early and since he is a year away from free agency he might jump at the guaranteed money, I would expect the Bears to try to extend him for something like 5 years/$11 million per year, a bigger than normal signing bonus, something like $15 million to sign, and $25 million or so guaranteed. I'd say his market price - if he extends now is worth something around that.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is Christian Jones signed beyond this year? He's a guy I'd like to take another flyer on. I know we're going to go LB crazy in the draft, but he may be a good guy to have in the mix. I'm also assuming we're letting Briggs, DJW and McClellan go.

One caveat... who is our DC going to be? If we're going to a 3-4, McClellan may be worth keeping (if cheap though... and only if cheap) and Paea may be a casualty based on scheme and the amount of DTs we have on the roster.

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm pretty sure McClellan is still under his rookie deal through next year. (I think it was a four year deal?)
and still pretty cheap compared to a known FA. As a starter, yeah we need a replacement, as a situational player and backup/special teams he's worth it.
I think his best position would probably be MLB... Again I said- HIS...not the Bears best option.

C

cubzzzfanincali

Is Christian Jones signed beyond this year? He's a guy I'd like to take another flyer on. I know we're going to go LB crazy in the draft, but he may be a good guy to have in the mix. I'm also assuming we're letting Briggs, DJW and McClellan go.

One caveat... who is our DC going to be? If we're going to a 3-4, McClellan may be worth keeping (if cheap though... and only if cheap) and Paea may be a casualty based on scheme and the amount of DTs we have on the roster.

Jones is on a three year deal. He is dirt cheap, so he stays.