• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Official Broncos News/Rumors Thread

58crash

must own
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Injury Report: Bryce Callahan questionable for #DENvsOAK
j3dyd1blo8y6nr4ftylx.jpg

Aric DiLalla
LEAD WRITER

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. — Cornerback Bryce Callahan was listed as questionable for Monday's game against the Raiders on the Broncos' final injury report of the week.

Callahan was listed as limited for each practice this week.

Linebacker Todd Davis (calf) is listed as doubtful, while fullback Andy Janovich (pectoral) and linebacker Joe Jones (triceps) were ruled out. All three players did not practice this week.

Safety Trey Marshall, who was limited earlier in the week, was a full participant on Saturday and is “ready to go,” according to Head Coach Vic Fangio.

"50-50," said Fangio when asked the odds of Callahan playing. "That’s what questionable means."

If Callahan cannot play, Fangio said the Broncos will substitute different players depending on the defensive package.

Fangio said the Broncos will "probably" decide on Sunday whether Davis plays against Oakland. If he is out, Fangio said it will be "a mix" of Alexander Johnson, Corey Nelson and other reserves who will play linebacker.

"[Nelson has] done extremely well mentally, which was a tall task for him," Fangio said. "Obviously him already being in somebody else’s camp helped, so he’s not having to get in football shape. He’s already there. He’s done a great job picking up the system."

The Broncos will release their list of seven inactive active players 90 minutes before kickoff on Monday.

58crash

must own
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We are taking the practice Squad and QB Lock to the black hole....

58crash

must own
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was just reading that on Patrick. Too bad he is one of our better gunners. I think we may have to IR him on problem is we can only return two from IR. Lock and Riddick are already there so would have to decide between Riddick and Patrick down the line to return.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow - bummer for Patrick and special teams.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also hearing the fear that Ja’uwan James injury could be season ending. Fun times already! Hope that isn’t reality.

nflbronco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also hearing the fear that Ja’uwan James injury could be season ending. Fun times already! Hope that isn’t reality.

Got to stop paying $$$ to injury prone guys. James Leary Callahan wasted cap hits

58crash

must own
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

58crash

must own
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
thank you............................................ great news !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

58crash

must own
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhoooooooooooooooooooooo

58crash

must own
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

We are getting more healthy

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

We are getting more healthy

Be nice to get these two guys for special teams purposes. Might save on a roster spot too on a guy like Bierria who is giving us nothing on special teams.

Jones was by far our best special teams coverage man last year. We need him especially after losing our best gunner in Tim Patrick this week. While we are getting some of these guys back in the next few weeks we still lost Patrick and James this week. Be nice to go a week with no injuries and have some of these other guys return. Sounds like we will get Todd Davis back this week as the coaches are expecting him to play this week. Judging off Callahan not practicing today I am guessing he is out this week. Guessing Jano and Jones are out this week but may get them back next week.

58crash

must own
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Broncos notes: Concern for Callahan
Tim Patrick appears to have suffered serious hand injury. DaeSean Hamilton mans up to dropped pass.

Author: Mike Klis
Published: 3:48 AM MDT September 10, 2019
Updated: 11:49 AM MDT September 10, 2019
OAKLAND, Calif. — The Broncos are concerned enough with the health of Bryce Callahan that they’ve been calling agents of other available cornerbacks, sources tell 9News.

Nine months after surgery to repair a broken fifth metatarsal on his left foot and six months after the Broncos signed him to a three-year, $21 million contract as a free agent, Callahan was inactive for the season opener Monday night against Oakland.

"There’s a concern," Vic Fangio said after his Broncos head coaching debut ended in a 24-16 defeat to the Raiders.

Callahan’s replacement, second-year cornerback Isaac Yiadom, was picked on repeatedly by Raiders quarterback Derek Carr in the first half. Ugh.

Callahan is a good guy and a very good cornerback when healthy. He had two sacks and two interceptions in 13 games for the Chicago Bears and defensive coordinator Fangio last year.

But either Callahan’s surgery, or his recovery from surgery, has not gone as hoped. He seemed to be coming along until his foot was stepped on during the Broncos’ stadium practice on July 27.

He really hasn’t fully practiced since. While a team source said Callahan is not a candidate for injured reserve, he may not be ready to play against his former team when the Broncos play their home opener Sunday against the Chicago Bears.

Callahan worked out with strength and conditioning coach Loren Landow before the game Monday, but afterwards he said he was not allowed to talk about his injury.

Indeed, right tackle Ja’Wuan James said he was told not to discuss the knee injury that knocked him out of the game in the first quarter.

Is Callahan frustrated?

"Oh yeah, injuries are always frustrating," he said.

DaeSean stands up to drop

The Broncos had settled for a field goal with their goal-to-go chance in the second half, but they would have had a touchdown to finish their next drive had DaeSean Hamilton caught a Joe Flacco pass in the end zone.

Flacco throws a high-velocity ball off a deceptively easy delivery and it appeared his pass got in on Hamilton’s shoulder pads before he could get his hands on it. Not that Hamilton was using an excuse.

"I was relaxed, beat my guy. Tried to catch it with my body. I don’t catch the ball in my body. Dropped it," Hamilton said. "Game-changer right there in my eyes. It would have changed the game."

Down, 14-0, at halftime, the McManus field goal off the first possession and a Hamilton catch in the end zone would have it 14-10. Instead, the Broncos settled for another McManus field goal to make it, 14-6.

"I’ve done some bonehead plays like that before," Hamilton said. "I just have to make that play. I can’t wait for Chicago. I need to do whatever it takes to get that bad taste out of my mouth."

Patrick suffers serious hand injury

Second-year receiver and special teamer Tim Patrick suffered a hand injury that appears to be serious. He left the visiting locker room with a heavy cast on his left hand and two small fingers.

Sudden starter

One week after he was signed by the Broncos to a one-year, $805,000 contract, Corey Nelson started ahead of Alexander Johnson at the inside linebacker position next to Josey Jewell.

"Yeah, as best I could," Nelson said. "There’s a lot of things I can still learn. There were a few calls that I busted, that I could have been better at. I tried to do the best I could, given the circumstances."

Nelson had but one tackle. Still, it was commendable he could start and play on such short notice. He credits his daily dose of playbook studying.

"Almost a brain overload," Nelson said. "But that’s the way of the game."

"Without seeing the tape there were some plays he could have done better," Fangio said. "But kudos to him for coming in and being ready to play."

Fant’s debut

With a 20-yard reception to convert a third-and-3 in the third quarter, rookie tight end Noah Fant provided a glimpse of why he was the Broncos’ first-round draft pick. But he also had two penalties in the game – an illegal block in the back that brought back and a holding penalty that pushed back McManus to one yard out of his field goal range.

"I personally didn’t think it was holding, but they called it, so I got to be better and play better," Fant said. "It was good experience to get the first game under my belt. A lot of things to learn from. I’m just excited to get to next week."

Bronco Bits

Jewell led the Broncos with 13 tackles. Yiadom was a distant second with eight tackles and safety Kareem Jackson, who seemed to be all over the field, had seven tackles and two pass breakups …

The Broncos only had about $5 million in cap space, by their accounting, before they restructured Joe Flacco's salary. Now they have about $18 million in cap room in case they decide later to extend one of their fine players from their 2016 draft class like Justin Simmons, Adam Gotsis, Andy Janovich, Connor McGovern or Will Parks. ...

Colby Wadman had a nice game punting the ball, highlighted by his 62-yard, flip-the-field punt after the Broncos’ first possession. He also dropped two others inside the 20.

58crash

must own
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1