• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Off-topic Article (Not on Niners)

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sadie, 11-Year-Old Transgender Girl, Writes Essay In Response To Obama's Inauguration Speech

Saw this on Facebook. I wonder how much of this is caused by her parents telling her things about the world (often negative), how much is from peers, how much is reality, and how much is perceived. The part where she says she has to go to a doctor who is out of state doesn't make sense. It must be the insurance thing, but her parents tell her it's the doctor. I mean, there are hundreds of doctors in a given state and I can't see how she (her parents) couldn't find one that treats her the same. So, it must be the insurance - in which they should tell her that so she doesn't hate doctors. I suppose she will grow to like the out-of-state doctor and thus trust some of them.

It says that she was born with the anatomy of a boy and around 5 years old transformed into a girl and that she was taught to introduce herself to people as a transgender, instead of a girl. She looks like a girl, so most likely people who she interacts with probably doesn't treat her like a boy or a transgender. Maybe when she grows older it'll look different. Then, she says how people treat her differently after the introduction.

I think it might be similar to a person who stutters. A stutterer once explained to me if a person before he speaks tells the listener that he stutters, he won't spend as much time trying not to stutter and therefore building pressure to speak. Plus, the listener might be more patient and less likely to laugh at them when they do. It's not like the listener won't find out that they stutter if not told, but it releases tension.

I don't think you should hide if you feel like a different gender than your birth certificate says - act and dress how you like or feel. I feel that her parents teach her to push it on strangers and then, strangers react. They may react appropriately or inappropriately and that's the listener's fault, but she's going to raised with more of a stigma this way, at least at this age. She's going to have many more opportunities to be disrespected by people that wouldn't have even said or noticed anything. I think she'll get some support, too, but that doesn't seem necessary. What is necessary is for anyone who needs to know or finds out to show support. Legal treatment under the law and whatnot.

On the other hand, I understand that people of any group, if not the norm, will be treated differently in many aspects of their life. It's likely that she would have a stigma anyway and this allows her to accept herself as she is and not be afraid of who she is. I just think that being a transgender might consume her. She should be a bicyclist, a piano player, a poet, etc. I'm a guy and I don't have to spend my life validating that. If she's a girl, she shouldn't spend her life like that either. She'll have to deal with it when dealing with legal matters, and if the teacher, by way of profile knows the birth gender mistreats her, there's a point of pressure. I'm sure there are a lot of parallels to gays and lesbians and how they are treated (even without them introducing themselves). But I hope she sees some good of the world and not fed negativity on how people don't accept her when a lot do. It's those who speak loudest who can drag the world down, but I'm afraid she won't hear the positives, too.

Not asking anyone here to identify their genders, feelings, or political beliefs, just as a person, how do you feel about the parents and kid?

Last edited by a moderator:

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sadie, 11-Year-Old Transgender Girl, Writes Essay In Response To Obama's Inauguration Speech

Saw this on Facebook. I wonder how much of this is caused by her parents telling her things about the world (often negative), how much is from peers, how much is reality, and how much is perceived. The part where she says she has to go to a doctor who is out of state doesn't make sense. It must be the insurance thing, but her parents tell her it's the doctor. I mean, there are hundreds of doctors in a given state and I can't see how she (her parents) couldn't find one that treats her the same. So, it must be the insurance - in which they should tell her that so she doesn't hate doctors. I suppose she will grow to like the out-of-state doctor and thus trust some of them.

It says that she was born with the anatomy of a boy and around 5 years old transformed into a girl and that she was taught to introduce herself to people as a transgender, instead of a girl. She looks like a girl, so most likely people who she interacts with probably doesn't treat her like a boy or a transgender. Maybe when she grows older it'll look different. Then, she says how people treat her differently after the introduction.

I think it might be similar to a person who stutters. A stutterer once explained to me if a person before he speaks tells the listener that he stutters, he won't spend as much time trying not to stutter and therefore building pressure to speak. Plus, the listener might be more patient and less likely to laugh at them when they do. It's not like the listener won't find out that they stutter if not told, but it releases tension.

I don't think you should hide if you feel like a different gender than your birth certificate says - act and dress how you like or feel. I feel that her parents teach her to push it on strangers and then, strangers react. They may react appropriately or inappropriately and that's the listener's fault, but she's going to raised with more of a stigma this way, at least at this age. She's going to have many more opportunities to be disrespected by people that wouldn't have even said or noticed anything. I think she'll get some support, too, but that doesn't seem necessary. What is necessary is for anyone who needs to know or finds out to show support. Legal treatment under the law and whatnot.

On the other hand, I understand that people of any group, if not the norm, will be treated differently in many aspects of their life. It's likely that she would have a stigma anyway and this allows her to accept herself as she is and not be afraid of who she is. I just think that being a transgender might consume her. She should be a bicyclist, a piano player, a poet, etc. I'm a guy and I don't have to spend my life validating that. If she's a girl, she shouldn't spend her life like that either. She'll have to deal with it when dealing with legal matters, and if the teacher, by way of profile knows the birth gender mistreats her, there's a point of pressure. I'm sure there are a lot of parallels to gays and lesbians and how they are treated (even without them introducing themselves). But I hope she sees some good of the world and not fed negativity on how people don't accept her when a lot do. It's those who speak loudest who can drag the world down, but I'm afraid she won't hear the positives, too.

Not asking anyone here to identify their genders, feelings, or political beliefs, just as a person, how do you feel about the parents and kid?

Haven't read the article yet, but wanted to respond based on what you said.

I think humans are rapidly approaching their end game. As a specie, we get far too caught up in "my way is right," whatever that way is. There's 7 billion of us sharing this rock, and with that mentality, there's not going to be enough resources left to last another 200 years.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haven't read the article yet, but wanted to respond based on what you said.

I think humans are rapidly approaching their end game. As a specie, we get far too caught up in "my way is right," whatever that way is. There's 7 billion of us sharing this rock, and with that mentality, there's not going to be enough resources left to last another 200 years.

Yeah. I tried to state both sides, saying there wasn't a clear right way to handle things. I listed my concerns, but I could see how overall this could benefit her. I think it was more the age that I was concerned with and the influence parents have over their child's perception of the world that had me thinking. If she has accepted herself as a girl or a transgender and sees the positives of this world as well as being able to separate things that are affected by being a transgender and things that aren't, she'll be fine and stronger for this.

It's like in racism, it's a very real thing, but some see everything through those glasses. Some who see it that way live in environments where that's perfectly understandable and necessary. Some are hindered both by racism and a constant view of their world through that lens. While living in denial is not the way to go either, sometimes it gets too much to live through if that's a constant focus. Also, some people will say something is racism based when it's not - some things may appear to be bias against transgendered people, but not. That's why I was saying she was a poet and a daughter, as well as a transgender. Identity is a good thing, but there is a limit - to be fair, I won't say she's beyond the limit, just stating there is one that exists and concerned that she has an appropriate balance in her life.