• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Northwestern football players unionize?

963BUSC

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Personally I like the idea of adding another division to college football that allows pay to the athletes, at least equal to what they could make if they were allowed to take a part-time job. Idaho should not be in the same division as USC and FSU.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Personally I like the idea of adding another division to college football that allows pay to the athletes, at least equal to what they could make if they were allowed to take a part-time job. Idaho should not be in the same division as USC and FSU.

This is the slippery slope though, do you pay them all min wage? There is no way a QB at Boise State would get paid the same as a QB at USC if there weren't any restrictions on the salary.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you pay them to play football what incentive do they have to go to class...just wait it until draft day and hope for the best.

There isn't much of an incentive now. They make joke classes specifically for college athletes to pass because some of them are borderline retarded. It's not that uncommon to see 5th year seniors majoring in pre-business.

Academics aren't an important part of college football and it's been that way for decades.

Dragon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This proves Northwestern's football team is gay.

Dragon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
O wait, their horrible record every year and reciting base makes them gay.

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
is it any different then being a student-teacher or doing an unpaid internship?

MarkOU

License to Thrill
Hoopla Cash
$ 287.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is an article from back in 2008 that talks about the time spent in college athletics. link

Sure its a bit old but I doubt the rules for time spent practicing and allowable volunteer time has changed.

Some 21,000 current athletes at 627 Division I, II and III schools — including more than 1,600 football and 417 men's basketball players — participated in the survey. In the top-tier Division I, almost two of every three said they consider themselves more as athletes than students.

That's reflected in their time commitments, both required and voluntary.

Hours per week:
Football 44.8 hours
Baseball 40 hours
Men's Basketball 36.8 hours
Women's Basketball 36 hours
Men's golf 40.8
Hockey 37.6
Softball 37.1

So they are basicly working a full time job hours and having to balance their time as a full time student. However some of those hours are voluntary, possibly like 10-15 maybe even 20 at some schools so lets not pretend like they are required to attend 40 hours a week because they are not.

There are plenty of people who work their way through college holding down a 30-40 hours a week job and full time student. This is not some miracle of science that only a few can achieve that. The difference is, those persons working 40 hours a week for a wage, spend that wage on their school, on their food and living. Athletes on the other hand are afforded housing, food and you know it, free schooling. If they want to get paid, they lose their free schooling as a minimum IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:

cane_man

I AM the liquor
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm a dyed in the wool Libertarian, but y'all are all wet on this.
These kids are the flotsam, jetsam, and chattel of a multi-billion dollar system that churns them out, cares little for their actual education, and leaves them sometimes hurt.

Y'all are wrong. These kids need to get paid much more than just a free, many time shitty education.

Lol. They get free room and board too (altho, why they dont get fed on weekends is stoopid).
They premium health care, better than anything most of us could dream about.
They get free personalized tutoring.
They get free fitness trainers.
They get free dieticians.
They get free marketing.
And more...

I mean, they get a lot more than just a scholly. The above package is woryh well over $100,000/yr.

Taz_Hokie

Ut Prosim
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lets start paying our athletes exactly the cost of tuition and stop giving them scholarships. That's the most fair way to do it.

If they want to get paid, they lose their free schooling as a minimum IMO.

I'd take it a step further and take away housing, books, food as well.

UtahUte

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,143.80
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Old 08-16-2013, 03:18 PM #27
UtahUte

vCash: 500
Utah Utes Washington Redskins Chicago Blackhawks

1- I think they should change the one foot in rule. Make it two feet when catching a pass.

2- I hope they don't go to paying the student athlete. Why? The players then can Unionize, Get benefits/ Health care, Dental, life insurance. Then the have power to demand things from the schools Oh and also they can go on strike. Wouldn't that be great the players asking for more money then you just shit canned the season because they feel like they need more. Trust me not a very good idea at all. Think about it.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

See I mentioned thios back in August . I seen it coming last year. Go Utes!

Taz_Hokie

Ut Prosim
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Northwestern Wildcats football players win bid to unionize - ESPN

CHICAGO -- Northwestern Wildcats football players and the College Athletes Players Association on Wednesday won their petition through the National Labor Relations Board to form a union and bargain for benefits.

As a result, Northwestern players will hold a vote on whether to unionize, a decision that will clearly impact college football and college sports generally. Northwestern said in a statement that it will appeal the decision.

"While we respect the NLRB process and the regional director's opinion, we disagree with it. Northwestern believes strongly that our student-athletes are not employees, but students," the university's statement read. "Unionization and collective bargaining are not the appropriate methods to address the concerns raised by student-athletes."

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Northwestern Football Players win right to Unionize

School is expected to appeal. Reported by Mike Greenberg, can't post the twitter link for some reason.

Wheat

High Plains Drifter...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
nice can of worms....

per ESPN

Players win bid to unionize

Updated: March 26, 2014, 3:26 PM ET
By Brian Bennett | ESPN.com

In a potentially game-changing moment for college athletics, the Chicago district of the National Labor Relations Board ruled on Wednesday that Northwestern football players qualify as employees and can unionize.

NLRB regional director Peter Sung Ohr cited the players' time commitment to their sport and that their scholarships were tied directly to their performance as reasons for granting them union rights.

Ohr wrote in his ruling that Wildcats players "fall squarely within the [National Labor Relations] Act's broad definition of 'employee' when one considers the common law definition of 'employee.'"
Ohr ruled that Northwestern players can hold an election on whether they want to be represented by the College Athletes Players Association, which brought the case to the NLRB along with former Wildcats quarterback Kain Colter and the United Steelworkers Union.

Northwestern issued a statement shortly after the ruling saying it would appeal to the full NLRB in Washington.

"While we respect the NLRB process and the regional director's opinion, we disagree with it," the statement read. "Northwestern believes strongly that our student-athletes are not employees, but students. Unionization and collective bargaining are not the appropriate methods to address the concerns raised by student-athletes."

CAPA supporters, meanwhile, celebrated the news. Colter tweeted: "This is a HUGE win for ALL college athletes!"

Red_Chaos

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeppie more scholarships for nerds and the end of college sports altogether ???

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No chance it is the end of sports. It makes too much money.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 977.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SEC student athaletes overwhelmingly vote not to join "cause unions be bad an shit."

Inquisitor95

Unexpected Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I heard that this was the tipping point:

normarea.jpg

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is so stupid. Can't believe it passed. Pretty sure it gets shot down on appeal. With that being said, since these crybabies got their wish, N'Western should treat them like employees. No more scholarships; let them pay that $50K a year tuition out of their pockets. Pay them minimum wage since they do not have a degree. Do these dumbfucks even realize how great they have it made, especially when they graduate and that degree says Northwestern University, not to mention they aren't paying that expensive as hell tuition? I want to fight Kain Colter right now.......