• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

norris game 3

tedman2012

Hoopla Cash
$ 981.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lets go o's

tedman2012

Hoopla Cash
$ 981.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
normal line up nate , manny , nick , aj , davis , matt , jj , brob and norris

tedman2012

Hoopla Cash
$ 981.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:gaah::gaah:what a first inning

calfan810

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well with the way we're scoring...is this game over already?

NJBuckO's

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oakland won and Clev. came all the way back. Looks like we may be 2 1/2 out of the WC after today.

hattersgonnahate

Armchair Sabermetrician
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oakland won and Clev. came all the way back. Looks like we may be 2 1/2 out of the WC after today.

And for extra insult, Boston is within striking distance of rallying.

Again, I know that this is anathema... but part of me is almost wondering if it would be better for this team to tank the 2nd half for better draft picks (and thus, better prospects for fighting again in 2014) rather than missing the postseason by one game. Essentially, the idea is to either contend or aim for dead last for rapid rebuilding and avoid everything in between.

(See, it's funny that this team seems to be in a worse shape than a year ago despite the better record and run differential... partly because the momentum appears to be in the opposite direction.)

Last edited by a moderator:

hattersgonnahate

Armchair Sabermetrician
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now, a disclaimer: As much I'm frustrated with this team's recent performance, I'm not writing off this year's team yet. I'm just concerned that the 2013 Orioles could realistically end up with a position that's "neither fish nor fowl." Specifically, that means improving the team over the short term, but not to the extent of being good enough to reach the postseason this year-- while at the same time, weakening the farm system (due to the trades for short-term help) and thus making the organization less competitive in the future. If that's the case, maybe standing pat at the trade deadline would have been a better strategy if the alternative of "trading the farm to win now" is a bad idea.

Of course, one cannot change the past, so the best thing that us fans can do now is to simply hope for the best...

Last edited by a moderator:

NJBuckO's

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now, a disclaimer: As much I'm frustrated with this team's recent performance, I'm not writing off this year's team yet. I'm just concerned that the 2013 Orioles could realistically end up with a position that's "neither fish nor fowl." Specifically, that means improving the team over the short term, but not to the extent of being good enough to reach the postseason this year-- while at the same time, weakening the farm system (due to the trades for short-term help) and thus making the organization less competitive in the future. If that's the case, maybe standing pat at the trade deadline would have been a better strategy if the alternative of "trading the farm to win now" is a bad idea.

Of course, one cannot change the past, so the best thing that us fans can do now is to simply hope for the best...

Yeah, but in MLB unless its the top 5 picks, everything else after that is basically a crapshoot, so finishing with the #22 or #11 pick dosen't make much difference. Its not like the NBA or NFL because there's more uncertainty. That's why you don't really hear about teams tanking in baseball, unless its a matter of the first overall pick.

CamdenFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, out of the vaunted Oriole lineup the only player that has used his bat for anything beyond a fashion accessory is the pitcher.

Thus is the state of Oriole production at the plate. The question remains, I suppose, can they get any more shoddy. Any more futile.

NJBuckO's

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Theoretically, losing every single game for the rest of the reason would give one a reasonable chance of ending up with a worse record than the Astros. But obviously that's not possible without intentionally throwing every game or at least conducting a fire-sale at the trade deadline (which is definitely bad sportsmanship, and possibly disallowed by the rules)... and no fan would sign up for that either.

That's why I suggested standing pat as an alternative if one season isn't enough to sufficiently upgrade the team.

They're right in the thick of the WC basically so they just need to get some momentum and start paying more attn to the little things.

hattersgonnahate

Armchair Sabermetrician
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They're right in the thick of the WC basically so they just need to get some momentum and start paying more attn to the little things.

Oops, looks like you replied to my post after I deleted it-- I was trying to make another addition but ended up going over the 5-minute limit for editing. Here's what I meant to say:

To be fair, most of the trades this season are ones that I could live with, as the players given up were mostly mid-level prospects or those who have struggled with the organization. Even if the 2013 Orioles do end up missing the postseason by one game, I can still see them contending in 2014. The question is simply this: "Could this organization have done better in terms of finding a balance between contending this year and staying competitive for the long term?"

NJBuckO's

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oops, looks like you replied to my post after I deleted it-- I was trying to make another addition but ended up going over the 5-minute limit for editing. Here's what I meant to say:

To be fair, most of the trades this season are ones that I could live with, as the players given up were mostly mid-level prospects or those who have struggled with the organization. Even if the 2013 Orioles do end up missing the postseason by one game, I can still see them contending in 2014. The question is simply this: "Could this organization have done better in terms of finding a balance between contending this year and staying competitive for the long term?"

But like you said, they gave up Delmonico, Hoes and Hader which isn't alot for people that can help get to the postseason. Plus they have a good pitcher in Norris for another 2 years in the rotation. So it's not like they lost any real "key" prospects. I think DD did a great job with the trade dl. Then next year you start to see the "prime" prospect at the ML level with KG, Schoop, maybe DB.

calfan810

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With their schedule in September the al east is far from over...once we can get to play some winning teams hopefully they will refocus and start hitting

NJBuckO's

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And let's not forget too this SF team won it all so they aren't horrible compared to their record.

hattersgonnahate

Armchair Sabermetrician
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With their schedule in September the al east is far from over...once we can get to play some winning teams hopefully they will refocus and start hitting

I could be wrong, but part of me wonders if this team plays well against good teams but poorly against certain sub-0.500 teams because of match-up issues. If this is the case, having to play Boston for 9 more times might actually be a blessing in disguise. (Read: It's unlikely, but it's theoretically possible for this team to reach the postseason and even take the division simply by beating the Red Sox.)

P.S. Oh, and it seems that trash-talking against our own team has resulted in a run. :rollseyes:

tedman2012

Hoopla Cash
$ 981.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:yahoo:3-2 lead

tedman2012

Hoopla Cash
$ 981.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2