• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

No hitter alert thread

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
one of many... But i honestly dont see a way out of this problem...

its really all connected...

players get paid too much, that makes hitters only care about their stats, because that is how they get paid, and HRs/RBIs will always be the king of stats...

then you go to pitching, pitchers get paid too much, they get pampered, no starter goes over 100 pitches.... whcih makes it very rare for pitchers to go over 6 innings... Creates a bigger importance to Relief pitching... And since SP dont go far, and relief pitching is more important, pitchers no longer need to change velocity... they all just go all out from the start... what this means for offensive players, is that pitchers pitch harder, so it is harder to get a hit... and therefore hitters are only going to go for the Home run more often... and the more you go for the HR, the more you will strike out...

So... if you get paid more because of HRs and RBIs, and it has become harder to hit in general, which increases the need to attempt for HRs, how can you fix the strike out problem???

It’s an organization/analytical thing too

Analytics apparently reflect that homerun or a strikeout is a recipe for winning baseball

once again at the end of the day, analytics are a huge part of the problem in today’s baseball

the defensive shift, another analytic that has made it overall a more boring product

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It’s an organization/analytical thing too

Analytics apparently reflect that homerun or a strikeout is a recipe for winning baseball

once again at the end of the day, analytics are a huge part of the problem in today’s baseball

the defensive shift, another analytic that has made it overall a more boring product

but that is all true... analytics dont lie...

which is part of the problem...

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
one of my solutions to "fix" some of baseballs problems-

-

make roster size 22 instead of 24...

you can only drop a non injured player off your roster(send to minors) once a week...

a maximum of 4 pitchers can pitch in a 9 inning game, if an injury shortens anyone's outing you can have an extra pitcher... But if you claim injury that player must be sent to 7 day IL

extra innings you are allowed to start one pitcher per inning...

-

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just spitballing here. I don’t necessarily support any of these ideas...

1) Outlaw the shift. I just mean that all parks need to clearly mark the infield, either by dirt/grass or by field markings for parks that don’t have dirt on the infield. Also, a line needs to be drawn from home plate through 2nd base to the edge of the infield. The 1B and 2B need to be on the right side of the infield and the SS and 3B need to be on the left side. 1 foot equates playing on that side of the field, so the SS or 2B can play straight up. Same deal with the OF. Lines need to be drawn breaking the OF into 3 30 degree sections. RFer has to have 1 foot in the RF section. CFer has to have 1 foot in the CF section. LFer has to have 1 foot in the LF section.

2) Drop the roster back to 24 (the unofficial roster limit in the 80s). This is a non-starter idea, I understand. But it will help with reducing the specialization of the game.

3) Get rid of the 3-batter rule. This doesn’t really address the problem at hand, I just HATE the rule.

4) Maintain the status quo for the DH. AL = DH, NL = baseball. Or allow the home team to decide which version will be used for each game. This adds matchup strategy.

5) Stop fucking with the ball. Take 3 years (whatever time period) to perfect the exact composition of the ball, and then stick with it. The last few years the ball itself was live af and the results were HR derby embarrassment. Now they over-compensated and created a dead-ball season. Stop fucking with the equipment.

9) No mobile devices allowed in the dugout or bullpen. Do your homework before the game. Once the game starts, you are unplugged. The only communication allowed is dugout <-> bullpen and dugout <-> video review. And I am open to banning access to video review. Unfortunately, this may benefit pitchers more than hitters, so may be counter productive to the issue at hand.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just spitballing here. I don’t necessarily support any of these ideas...

1) Outlaw the shift. I just mean that all parks need to clearly mark the infield, either by dirt/grass or by field markings for parks that don’t have dirt on the infield. Also, a line needs to be drawn from home plate through 2nd base to the edge of the infield. The 1B and 2B need to be on the right side of the infield and the SS and 3B need to be on the left side. 1 foot equates playing on that side of the field, so the SS or 2B can play straight up. Same deal with the OF. Lines need to be drawn breaking the OF into 3 30 degree sections. RFer has to have 1 foot in the RF section. CFer has to have 1 foot in the CF section. LFer has to have 1 foot in the LF section.

2) Drop the roster back to 24 (the unofficial roster limit in the 80s). This is a non-starter idea, I understand. But it will help with reducing the specialization of the game.

3) Get rid of the 3-batter rule. This doesn’t really address the problem at hand, I just HATE the rule.

4) Maintain the status quo for the DH. AL = DH, NL = baseball. Or allow the home team to decide which version will be used for each game. This adds matchup strategy.

5) Stop fucking with the ball. Take 3 years (whatever time period) to perfect the exact composition of the ball, and then stick with it. The last few years the ball itself was live af and the results were HR derby embarrassment. Now they over-compensated and created a dead-ball season. Stop fucking with the equipment.

9) No mobile devices allowed in the dugout or bullpen. Do your homework before the game. Once the game starts, you are unplugged. The only communication allowed is dugout <-> bullpen and dugout <-> video review. And I am open to banning access to video review. Unfortunately, this may benefit pitchers more than hitters, so may be counter productive to the issue at hand.

1.the shift is not the problem... in fact i like the idea that players dont necessary need to playing AT their given position... Problem with the shift is that batters dont try to break the shift... which is back to the analytical problem, batters are so focused on their stats, they dont care about whats best for the team,...

2. I agree that 26 is too much... the fresher we keep the bullpen the worse the problem is...

3. I do think the 3 batter rule addresses and helps fix many of the problems it was created for... my problem with it is that it really hurts lefty bullpen arms...

4. i strongly disagree... baseball needs to make a stand that all teams are playing the same... and that would mean either all play with the DH or all dont play with the DH... And i think it is really stupid that the NL is the only league in professional baseball that doesnt even use the DH... it just is not fun to watch pitchers hit... and that is a major problem with the league... nobody wants to watch it, and worse, nobody wants to see pitchers get hurt while batting...

5. agreed, and seems like common sense...

9(pretty sure you meant 6). i dont think i have a problem with the mobile device... especially if it has no affect to the game flow... the only thing i would question is whether this prevents players from watching their teammates hit, or if it prevents them from talking to their teammates during the game- whether about baseball or not...

I will add a couple

7) owners run their teams like a business and dont care about winnning- so proposal, if an owner in any 10 year span does not have one winning season, they must sell their team.... allow new blood to be owners...

8). use a revenue sharing that rewards teams for having winning seasons

9) Fix the bringing up rookies problem... The fact teams wait to bring up their best rookies just so they can own that player for longer, is a huge problem.... it hurts these rookies and it hurts the fans...

10) limit the time between pitches(not using a pitch clock), and limit the amount of times a batter can adjust himself or call timeout- even more so than already limited...

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1.the shift is not the problem... in fact i like the idea that players dont necessary need to playing AT their given position... Problem with the shift is that batters dont try to break the shift... which is back to the analytical problem, batters are so focused on their stats, they dont care about whats best for the team,...

2. I agree that 26 is too much... the fresher we keep the bullpen the worse the problem is...

3. I do think the 3 batter rule addresses and helps fix many of the problems it was created for... my problem with it is that it really hurts lefty bullpen arms...

4. i strongly disagree... baseball needs to make a stand that all teams are playing the same... and that would mean either all play with the DH or all dont play with the DH... And i think it is really stupid that the NL is the only league in professional baseball that doesnt even use the DH... it just is not fun to watch pitchers hit... and that is a major problem with the league... nobody wants to watch it, and worse, nobody wants to see pitchers get hurt while batting...

5. agreed, and seems like common sense...

9(pretty sure you meant 6). i dont think i have a problem with the mobile device... especially if it has no affect to the game flow... the only thing i would question is whether this prevents players from watching their teammates hit, or if it prevents them from talking to their teammates during the game- whether about baseball or not...

I will add a couple

7) owners run their teams like a business and dont care about winnning- so proposal, if an owner in any 10 year span does not have one winning season, they must sell their team.... allow new blood to be owners...

8). use a revenue sharing that rewards teams for having winning seasons

9) Fix the bringing up rookies problem... The fact teams wait to bring up their best rookies just so they can own that player for longer, is a huge problem.... it hurts these rookies and it hurts the fans...

10) limit the time between pitches(not using a pitch clock), and limit the amount of times a batter can adjust himself or call timeout- even more so than already limited...
1) Conceptually, I agree that teams should be able to play their 7 players (pitchers and catchers are pretty much required to set up where they do) anywhere they like. But analytics has broken that. Creating these 5 zones on the field I think is a fair compromise. And yes, having the players try to beat the shift is the answer, but analytics says it isn’t important. Might as well hit it over the wall so positioning doesn’t matter. So if the shift were squeezed a bit, maybe analytics will dictate playing small ball makes sense again...

2) Again, this discussion is a non-starter. Rosters will never shrink. Lets move on.

3) We are in agreement here. The 3-batter rule helps address this problem. I just hate it and want it gone.

4) You are wrong. End of discussion.

5) Nothing more to add

6) My point is that it could help to counter the influence of analytics. Having All the stats at your fingertips mid game is part of the analytics problem, imho. But like I said, this idea is probably a bad idea, but it would probably hurt hitting more than pitching.

7) Will never happen. Hard to argue something that wouldn’t even happen in a fictional story.

8) Conceptually I agree, but that would only add to the gap between good teams and bad teams.

9) Not sure if this is part of the problem at hand, but I agree. And I suspect this will be “fixed” in the next contract. I think players clocks will start once they sign their first contract. There will likely be different clocks based on how you entered the league and how old you are when you sign, but I think something like an 8-year clock for drafted college players and a 10-year clock for international and HS players.

10) Also not sure how this addresses the issue at hand, but in general I am OK with the idea. The problem is that umpires refused to enforce it a few years ago when they tried it, why would it be different now? And besides, I am not one who really thinks that the length of the game is a big problem.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1) Conceptually, I agree that teams should be able to play their 7 players (pitchers and catchers are pretty much required to set up where they do) anywhere they like. But analytics has broken that. Creating these 5 zones on the field I think is a fair compromise. And yes, having the players try to beat the shift is the answer, but analytics says it isn’t important. Might as well hit it over the wall so positioning doesn’t matter. So if the shift were squeezed a bit, maybe analytics will dictate playing small ball makes sense again...

2) Again, this discussion is a non-starter. Rosters will never shrink. Lets move on.

3) We are in agreement here. The 3-batter rule helps address this problem. I just hate it and want it gone.

4) You are wrong. End of discussion.

5) Nothing more to add

6) My point is that it could help to counter the influence of analytics. Having All the stats at your fingertips mid game is part of the analytics problem, imho. But like I said, this idea is probably a bad idea, but it would probably hurt hitting more than pitching.

7) Will never happen. Hard to argue something that wouldn’t even happen in a fictional story.

8) Conceptually I agree, but that would only add to the gap between good teams and bad teams.

9) Not sure if this is part of the problem at hand, but I agree. And I suspect this will be “fixed” in the next contract. I think players clocks will start once they sign their first contract. There will likely be different clocks based on how you entered the league and how old you are when you sign, but I think something like an 8-year clock for drafted college players and a 10-year clock for international and HS players.

10) Also not sure how this addresses the issue at hand, but in general I am OK with the idea. The problem is that umpires refused to enforce it a few years ago when they tried it, why would it be different now? And besides, I am not one who really thinks that the length of the game is a big problem.

4) i am sure you have argued your side forever... i am happy to see that the end of the pitcher hitting is near... just can't happen soon enough IMO....

with 7) i know it is never going to happen... and it is extreme... but had to throw a proposal that addresses a problem... i hate identifying a problem without a proposal... even if the proposal is ridiculous... I mean, who knows, maybe a less extreme option of my proposal is possible....

8) my proposal was very half baked... i am sure they can do something that would help different teams more... Maybe if they use the previous season as a base, most improved teams get the most money... The point is, rewarding teams for trying is important... will force owners to care about their teams... at least that's the goal... i understand, that without a perfect proposal, these businesses minded owners will find a way to take advantage of it though...

10) its not about length of game... nobody cares how long a game is, they care about why the game was so long.... if there is excitement a game could last forever without any complaints.... but when there is so much filler that is easy to close up, why not try to do something??

YourFriendGannon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rain threatening to secure a no-no in Baltimore.

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Marquez perfect through 5 in Seattle.

Perfect game alert! He'll definitely go all the way. Tell your friends

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
San Francisco -- The edge of the western world.
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bottom of the 9th.
Last chance for L.A.
Kimbrel (4th pitcher for Chicago) is on the mound.

Davies went 6 innings.
Tepera pitched the 7th
Chafin pitched the 8th.

edit:
Kimbrel walks the 1st batter on 4 straight..then K's the 2nd on 3 straight.
Pujols K's for out #2.
Will Smith comes in to PH.

Kimbrel fans Smith on 3 straight.
Dodgers get no hit by a Cubs tag team.

:clap:

Last edited:

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
San Francisco -- The edge of the western world.
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
German Marquez no-no thru 7...