• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Niners trade for Chase Young for a 3rd Pick

Sandisfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pass rusher who was a former 2 pick Overall. What do we think about this?

Edited 2nd time for.... I was hoping for an above average CB but I could be wrong about that.

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's much more of a gamble than Gregory. Young has 5 sacks on the year already is top 10 in pressures (or hurries, one of those damn things). So, he is much more accomplished than Gregory too.

If we can't improve the secondary, we might as well improve the pass rush. THe rising tide raises all boats.

OTOH, since this is almost certainly a rental--as we are very unlikely to sign him this offseason--we'll still get a comp pick back for him--depending on what he signs for, a 3rd or 4th in 2025.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I was hoping for a CB too, but easier said than done. Opponents are attacking with short passes and if the QB is hot, you can't stop it. This is the same 'torture' the 49ers use, short passes granted Purdy added medium.

So while you can never have too many pass rushers, our weaker area is run D, ie DT. But again, i get its easier said than done.

I take this trade as not looking good for Drake Jackson.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Haven't seen anything on his cap implications? I already read its really a "1 year rental" meaning half a year now. So a 3rd rounder for half a season from Young. we can only wait and see, especially in the play-offs? Yes, i fully expect to make the play-offsand as the NFC West champs. The #1 seed is likely gone now but can't cry over spilt milk. They can only get the scheme adjustments done during this bye week, on both sides.

Again, if opponents have a QB who can really throw short passes OR, is just hot that day, its hard for the pass rush to get there. But 'forcing' short passes is ok too IF they don't get too many TD's. However, this hasn't panned out this last game and a little in the previous.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Also, its being reported we gave up a 3rd but LIKELY to get a 3rd round comp in 2025. If this is true, why didn't another contending team make this trade?

It can't be residual injury from 2022, so his reported lack of discipline must REALLY be bad? He MAY be relegated to 3rd and long if he doesn't set the edge and/or defend the run.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
TRANSLATION: Defenses have to stop the run before they get the opportunity to rush the passer. If the opposing offense can run the ball efficiently and keep themselves in third and short or third and medium, the 49ers' pass rush can't dominate. But if the 49ers shut down the run like last season and force the opponent into third and long, their pass rush can take over the game.

Interesting that the 49ers haven't looked to improve their run defense yet.

I know you can't have enough pass rushers but too bad we didn't add a run stopping type DT. Not saying an All-Pro DT, but someone to share time on 1st downs. The above is certainly true because the opponent will lean run until you stop it. We all get frustrated with the pass defense but if they throw short and accurately, can't defend it. I can live with short passing as long as they don't score TD's, and based on the Browns and Vikings game, haven't given up a lot of TD's.

But we can't win giving up so many rushing yards. All of our pass rushing talent is wasted if we can't slow the run first.

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hopefully for you guys the trade lit a fire under Young .... otherwise you will see what we saw in Washington.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Hopefully for you guys the trade lit a fire under Young .... otherwise you will see what we saw in Washington.
Trust me, we 49er fans are REALLY hoping he gets it mentally. :-)

Supposedly we'll get a 3rd round comp pick in 2025, but he needs to do well the rest of this season. If he craps out like in DC, we get no comp or much less comp.

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trust me, we 49er fans are REALLY hoping he gets it mentally. :-)

Supposedly we'll get a 3rd round comp pick in 2025, but he needs to do well the rest of this season. If he craps out like in DC, we get no comp or much less comp.
I hope for you and him it works out .... it was not working in Washington.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I hope for you and him it works out .... it was not working in Washington.
of course it wasn't working in Washington, else he wouldn't be traded. No guarantee he sticks to the scheme here.

But this doesn't appear to be a huge expenditure and we have to make the hard push for the SB. We'll REALLY need his skills when we get to the play-offs.

Still waiting to see his cap hit to the 49ers, or maybe i missed it?

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Just watched a Youtube with Cohn and Coach, and need to tone down my expectations for Young. The things Coach was pointing out doesn't bode well for a CONSISTENTLY good player. His evaluation makes me think Chase Young shouldn't be an every down player for this team? All that talent isn't going to be maximized without focus, effort, discipline, etc. etc., every play.

Along these lines, not expecting us to sign Chase Young next season, even if he does well now. He will just fall back to who he is and you can't pay megabucks for inconsistency.

It might make sense to work him in 'slowly' by only getting "3rd and long" plays.