• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Nick Foles

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He deserves his own thread for this performance. The former Wildcat is one of 7 players in NFL history to throw for 7 TD's in a game.

Still has over 18 minutes left in the game to break the record! BEAR DOWN

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Arizona NFL alumni are pretty elite if you ask me.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a starter this year Foles is 4-1 with 16 TDs passing, no INTs. 2 TDs rushing, one fumble lost. Second season in the NFL and has been responsible for 18 touchdowns and 1 turnover while helping the Eagles to first place. Not bad for a backup.

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a starter this year Foles is 4-1 with 16 TDs passing, no INTs. 2 TDs rushing, one fumble lost. Second season in the NFL and has been responsible for 18 touchdowns and 1 turnover while helping the Eagles to first place. Not bad for a backup.

Also not bad for coming out of a university that isn't a "football school".:laugh3:

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also not bad for coming out of a university that isn't a "football school".:laugh3:

It's funny to think how many UofA football players are stars/pro bowlers in the NFL, compared to the number of wins the team has had the last decade. Briggs, Gronk and Folk are three of the best players at their positions. Reed, Cason and others are starters... but that has never translated into major bowls in the post-Tomey era.

Foles is just starting his NFL career and has a lot to learn, but he has the tools to be a full time starter, even if it's on another team once Kelly gets a duel-threat guy.

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And I think we can add Carey to that list in the next few years. Sad that he hasn't had more help this season, but with the one-dimensional offense this year, it was going to be difficult for him to get the open fields that he got last year when he had Scott and the WRs.

At least Hill will be healthy next year, and hopefully the QB can spread the field for him. Also, we need the line to help more, although they improved from a year ago, imo.

Really hope he stays, I just can't see him going yet. I think next year will make him a first round pick, for sure.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FB is a show-me-now sport. If you don't get it done, then you are shown the door. Everyone (with a brain in their head) said it would take Sean Miller 4-5 years to rebuild after the interim years. Now you see some FB fans calling for Rodriguez's job after 18 months.

The quality depth just isn't there, but the staff is recruiting well. Now that Hill has chosen to come back, they have some weapons next year (with Neal and Jones and co.) Defense has had its moments this season, and Casteel is a very good defensive coach, but they are only 1 deep (if that) at every position.

Personally I hope that they give it time. Starting over with a new system every 3-5 years isn't the answer, no matter what ADs and boosters think.

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I completely agree. I think you have to give a coach 4-5 before you even think about a hot seat, and you have to be relative in your critiques. I think that Mac obviously had to go, and Stoops might have gone early, but he was certainly trending down. I am pleasantly surprised with where we are at with RR in only his second year. Last year was a pleasant surprise for everyone, and this year is about what we thought given that Denker is nothing special, and Hill is out. Also, I think that compared to last year's D, we have improved dramatically on that side of the ball; especially with Fischer being out for a chunk of the year.

I think that RR continues to recruit, and we improve. Obviously the guy can coach. It will take time to get the pieces in place, especially on defense, but I think we have a real chance to compete in the years to come. Next year might look like last year, but after that, I think it looks promising. People want to talk shit about RR's defenses, but Jesus, look what he inherited last year; a bunch of freshmen and red-shirts. That has nothing to do with how he runs a defense. And again, I think that this year's defense (after last year's) is very impressive. I look forward to what we can build on, next year.

I also think that football is much more difficult to build as a program than football. In basketball, if you can get the recruits, maybe some transfers, it isn't long before you can knock out the wins. In football, every player needs at least a year or two to get on that level. Getting player in is one thing, but them developing enough to make a change is not going to happen in a year or two. You need seniors that you recruited to really show if you are building well. I think RR and Co. has a high ceiling, I just can't expect that to be reflected in his first, second, or really third year. Football just doesn't work like that.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Foles is playing great this year, but it takes time, (over a few seasons) before you can crown someone as a franchise QB. The trend these days is to see guys like Wilson, RG3, or kaepernick do their thing for 12-15 games and then talk about them as if they were one of the all time greats (more hyperbole in the media than ever before).

That being said, you have to admire what he has done thus far. USA today wrote an article today based on his stats through 5 starts (and a few relief appearances). Take them for what they are worth, because some of those defenses are garbage, but the guy now leads the NFL in QB rating by a wide margin over second place Peyton Manning (128.0 to 118.2).

My favorite stat from that USA today post is:

2. Nick Foles is better than Eli Manning — by a lot.
If Foles threw interceptions on his next 26 attempts, his passer rating would still be higher than Eli Manning’s. Let that one sink in for a bit.