• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NHL Current +5 Draft Play-In Game 1 : Mebert vs Ritz

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I Said I LOVED your WC picks on defense. Those were fantastic and gave you the D edge. Your forward lines are pretty even as wel with Stastsny and Boom Boom being fantastic picks but he's got Brett Hull anchoring line two and since both his top 2 lines are stronger that gives him a solid edge at forward.

Roy was fantastic but this is the best of the best. The players are only gonna get better playing with each other. The goalies only worse because they have never faced this onslaught.

Now save% and GAA are not a criteria to just use, don't mistake me for that. But I got Braden Holtby in the final hour just hitting his prime and his #s best Roy's in that(there are many reasons why and he's not better than Roy). Now go find guys than can even come close to skating legends like Gretzky, Orr, Bobby Hull, Gordie, Mario etc.:.

A great offensive threat is hard to find. And that was the tiebreaker.

I can agree with this break down for sure. I think I got too caught up in trying to make my 3rd line a "Bruiser" line instead of just focusing on skills, although I am a big fan of Simmonds either way.

Overall I think this falls where most of our drafts do, Offense is over valued Defense is undervalued. I think you are right though, there is not a lot of seperation between my and Ritz's teams. I am not upset to lose to him.

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can agree with this break down for sure. I think I got too caught up in trying to make my 3rd line a "Bruiser" line instead of just focusing on skills, although I am a big fan of Simmonds either way.

Overall I think this falls where most of our drafts do, Offense is over valued Defense is undervalued. I think you are right though, there is not a lot of seperation between my and Ritz's teams. I am not upset to lose to him.

No I love your D and it should be valued just as much. You used two great WC picks on D. And probably top 5 picks for WCs. I made sure to get 2 great ones myself so you can see I value it.

I just think you put a little too much stock in Roy when you coulda added another elite player to your offense and still had a good goalie.

If you had one more forward on your 2nd line, you win.

Nosferatu

Faith, Hope & Love
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In my experience with hockey drafts, whoever has Gretzky, wins. I vote for Ritz

We have done ONE hockey draft prior to this one, Gretzky was not on the winning team.

Nosferatu

Faith, Hope & Love
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't think defense is undervalued in any of our drafts, if anything it's overvalued in the NBA drafts. In our last NFL draft my defense beat UK's high powered offense so I can't agree with your analysis here.

I did say I thought drafting Roy was a mistake and I still believe that, the difference between Gretzky and whoever is left for you with your second pick is miles apart compared to Roy and whatever goalie would have been available to you with your second pick.

IMO

Hasek > Roy and I got Hasek with the 30th pick.

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have done ONE hockey draft prior to this one, Gretzky was not on the winning team.

I don't remember but was he even on the 2nd place team?

I'm pretty sure he wasn't.

Nosferatu

Faith, Hope & Love
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it is a fair question, the Hasek claim is on that level.

Ritzy is the one who said Peja was better than Baylor.

You claimed Roy was best cuz he has the most Smythe trophies but Hasek still has a better save % and goals against average in the playoffs. Point being you probably aren't going to win alot of Smythe trophies if your team isn't good enough to make the cup finals.

Hasek didn't play in a stanley cup until he was 35 years old.

Hasek has 6 Vezina trophies Roy has 3

Hasek has 2 Hart trophies Roy has 0