• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NFLPA eliminates "junior rule"

jayviabay

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
does this mean that collegiate players can declare for the draft before their junior year or they can just engage in conversations with contract agents?

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so stupid for these athletes to put their bodies at risk yet they can't sign endorsement deals.

jayviabay

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so stupid for these athletes to put their bodies at risk yet they can't sign endorsement deals.

I understand where you are coming from but im on the fence on this issue... I have a son and when he gets to the college ranks I want him to focus on obtaining a degree. I hope if I make it to see those days, I am financially stable so his focus will not be on making money at that point. If you really think about it, there is no easy answer to this situation.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
plenty of people work and go to school. if the money is there take it.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
does this mean that collegiate players can declare for the draft before their junior year or they can just engage in conversations with contract agents?

It means that agents registered with the NFLPA can speak with players at any time. The rule was eliminated to get rid of "runners" for agents. "Runners" meaning the people who work under an agent and work on behalf of them and do things like provide cash, vehicles, housing, and so on for a player. Only the agents who are registered with the NFLPA can contact players.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They are putting their bodies at risk and if they are good enough for endorsements, they likely will get their money as a reward for that risk when they make the NFL. I don't feel bad for them taking a known risk for personal gain. This is not a "you're old enough to serve in the army, but cannot vote" type of issue. They knowingly put their bodies at risk for notoriety, money in the future, etc. They are not entitled to being endorsement models if they choose to play in league that bans it (NCAA or NFL). And I think the NCAA is well within its bounds to decide that that hurts the integrity of college sports (or whatever their reason is related to that concept).

College sports started as student athletes coming from the student body to represent the school, not as a professional league. I personally think the money garnered by the sports should go towards making tuition cheaper, not lining anyone's pockets, but I don't take the major profits as reasons why students should get paid to play. However, if Nike wants to pay, I don't mind that. I think it makes college sports less pure and fun for me, but I wouldn't take that away. Athletes often play for money, not the love of the game, team, or school. The true students, lovers of the game, team, or school will be apparent from other aspects of college sports besides endorsements.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
look at mcgahee. amazing that he came back after having his leg completely bent the wrong way. i;m sure he was an inch one way or the other from never playing football again. careers can be cut short at anytime.

in canada we pay our teenagers to play junior hockey and it doesn't hurt the product one bit.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
look at mcgahee. amazing that he came back after having his leg completely bent the wrong way. i;m sure he was an inch one way or the other from never playing football again. careers can be cut short at anytime.

in canada we pay our teenagers to play junior hockey and it doesn't hurt the product one bit.

Not really. It's basically the same as a scholarship. The amount they get is determined by how far away their hometown is from the city you play. You get less if you play in your hometown.

Any money above the CHL allotment gets the players expelled from the league (including endorsements).

Also, I wonder how many CHL playesr actually finish high school. You end up, in many cases, moving as a 16 year old to a new city (can be quite far in the W - like Chiliwack to Brandon), then spend September to May playing hockey rather than going to school.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
there are no graduation rates offered by the chl. they offer a scholarship program where they pay for university depending on how many years of major junior u play. nm chiliwack to manitoba. try going from nova scotia to quebec. nobody speaks english!

many go on to play hockey at canadian universities, others go on to the beer leagues hoping for a chance to get into the minors.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
95% from the ohl attend school. dont see graduation rates, but it shouldn't be much different than the national average, might actually be higher than the 81% rate for all of canada.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I believe the best (not perfect) solution is just to go with giving them a decent stipend.

Would reduce the temptation to accept outside benefits and while I do agree that they are getting their education for free they are still making the school far more money than what the scholarship cost.

You have conferences with their own TV networks, all the merchandise sales, and the prestige it brings to the school which thus enhances the desire for kids to attend the school there is a whole lot of money being made.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe the best (not perfect) solution is just to go with giving them a decent stipend.

Would reduce the temptation to accept outside benefits and while I do agree that they are getting their education for free they are still making the school far more money than what the scholarship cost.

You have conferences with their own TV networks, all the merchandise sales, and the prestige it brings to the school which thus enhances the desire for kids to attend the school there is a whole lot of money being made.

They get the opportunity for professional play, they get to have their stories to tell their grandchildren, they get famous and the girls, etc. I wish they could lower the cost of tickets and merchandise, lower tuition for all, not get the TV networks, and run more or less like a non-profit organization - or better said, all profits above a reasonable margin should go to the school for lower tuition, better health care for students (?), and research. I think players enter the college teams knowing all this and if they don't get the bang for their buck in physical play they should do something else. I understand that the schools are making bank on them, but they are beneffiting, too.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

They get the opportunity for professional play, they get to have their stories to tell their grandchildren, they get famous and the girls, etc. I wish they could lower the cost of tickets and merchandise, lower tuition for all, not get the TV networks, and run more or less like a non-profit organization - or better said, all profits above a reasonable margin should go to the school for lower tuition, better health care for students (?), and research. I think players enter the college teams knowing all this and if they don't get the bang for their buck in physical play they should do something else. I understand that the schools are making bank on them, but they are beneffiting, too.

I rethought this and have done a bit of a 540 on this (180 degrees in normal terms). I guess my hangup with your proposal was my definition of "decent". I think of decent as decent pay, as opposed to decent (reasonable) stipend. I think that they should have tuition paid for, dormatory + utilities, food plan, and a little bit every week either for the semester or season. All equipment is provided, perhaps they could get their favorite brand of shoes for games/practices. They should be in the same position as the other students when it comes to things outside of the sport.

If it gets to the point that some are playing for the stipend outside of free tuition, I think it becomes a problem. To me, the higher the stipends are allowed to be, the closer we get to paid athletes where the best schools have even more advantage and everyone must compete for their recruits beyond an education, winning tradition, and yes, notoriety of the program. USC got in trouble not just because it was against the rules, but also the rules were made for a reason. The rules weren't made just so everyone was equally handicapped. Part of the reason was to keep the money (cynic) and part was integrity of the sport. (I think even Canada would be better without it.)

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I rethought this and have done a bit of a 540 on this (180 degrees in normal terms). I guess my hangup with your proposal was my definition of "decent". I think of decent as decent pay, as opposed to decent (reasonable) stipend. I think that they should have tuition paid for, dormatory + utilities, food plan, and a little bit every week either for the semester or season. All equipment is provided, perhaps they could get their favorite brand of shoes for games/practices. They should be in the same position as the other students when it comes to things outside of the sport.

If it gets to the point that some are playing for the stipend outside of free tuition, I think it becomes a problem. To me, the higher the stipends are allowed to be, the closer we get to paid athletes where the best schools have even more advantage and everyone must compete for their recruits beyond an education, winning tradition, and yes, notoriety of the program. USC got in trouble not just because it was against the rules, but also the rules were made for a reason. The rules weren't made just so everyone was equally handicapped. Part of the reason was to keep the money (cynic) and part was integrity of the sport. (I think even Canada would be better without it.)

If they did go the stipend route I would say it would have to be a completely flat rate for all schools and regulated by the NCAA to avoid competition issues.

And I agree the stipend shouldn't be anything outrageous but just some side cash that would allow them to have a reasonable living while in college.

I just think considering how much the schools are making off the performance of the kids they can kick in a little bit more than just a scholarship.

A small stipend won't kill the game because all these kids are still going to be dreaming and working towards the NFL where the millions are made so I think everything would remain status quo and maybe even better because now you remove the excuse and debate for kids taking benefits and money.