• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NFL Scouting Combine notes

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I just have to say this is a weird DL class.

Star Lotulelei has a heart condition & didn't do drills.
Jarvis Jones has a neck condition.
Damontre Moore has a moron condition apparently.
Kawann Short didn't participate in drills.
John Jenkins didn't participate in drills.
Bennie Logan didn't participate in drills.
Brandon Jenkins & Tank Carridine both had major injuries.

Cornelius Washington, Trevardo Williams & Jamie Collins had maybe the 3 of the best combines of anyone at Indy (and the latter 2 had good production), and nobody has any of them going very high (maybe they will). Washington for good reason; I like him mostly as a potential ST stud & maybe a guy who can get a few snaps in the 5 tech'. But the Raiders willl draft him in the 1st. :)

I have a feeling that people are going to look at the DL from this class and where they were drafted and have a lot of WTF moments. Richardson & Anzah are the only blue chippers who don't look like they have many red flags (except a lot of foreign athletes lie about their age maybe).

I'll keep an eye on the pro' day for the guys who didn't do drills, but it won't mean much of anything to me because pro' day is BS. Obviously, things like bench press, vertical & broad jump are the same, but the speed / agility numbers can't be trusted.

Last edited by a moderator:

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
NFP Sunday Blitz | National Football Post

Some highlights:

*The most impressive body of the combine probably belonged to Oregon defensive end Dion Jordan. At 6-6, 248 pounds, he checked into the Bod Pod with a body fat measurement of 3.8 percent—third lowest of any player at any position. What’s more, Jordan’s arms measured 33 7/8ths inches, and his hands were 10 inches.

*Many people were impressed with Ziggy Ansah’s 4.56 40 yard dash at 271 pounds, and rightfully so. But they would have been more impressed if they knew Ansah didn’t even train for the event. Unlike probably every other player in attendance, Ansah kept going to class and never worked with an outside trainer to prepare for the combine. In fact, the 40 yard dash he ran at the combine was the first of his life, according to his agent Frank Bauer. It should be noted, however, that Ansah did run 100 meter dash and the 200 meters on the Brigham Young track team before he became a football player.

Smalls

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
NFP Sunday Blitz | National Football Post

*Many people were impressed with Ziggy Ansah’s 4.56 40 yard dash at 271 pounds, and rightfully so. But they would have been more impressed if they knew Ansah didn’t even train for the event. Unlike probably every other player in attendance, Ansah kept going to class and never worked with an outside trainer to prepare for the combine. In fact, the 40 yard dash he ran at the combine was the first of his life, according to his agent Frank Bauer. It should be noted, however, that Ansah did run 100 meter dash and the 200 meters on the Brigham Young track team before he became a football player.

His experience as a sprinter was pretty evident to me. Seeing that athleticism in someone so big was awesome. He was one of only a few guys this year that had me just go, "Wow." If I remember correctly, Mayock seemed pretty floored as well, even though most expected him to run a nice time. It's even more impressive that he never trained specifically for the 40 and still posted such a good time at his size.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Does anyone know a website with a record of old combine numbers? Like all of them? 40, 3cone, 10 yard split, height, weight, arm length, hand size, Vertical, broad, etc.

I've always had trouble finding some of those things on veteran players. Their 40, & 3cone, height & weight aren't as hard to find, but I've come up empty on some of the other stuff.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Does anyone know a website with a record of old combine numbers? Like all of them? 40, 3cone, 10 yard split, height, weight, arm length, hand size, Vertical, broad, etc.

I've always had trouble finding some of those things on veteran players. Their 40, & 3cone, height & weight aren't as hard to find, but I've come up empty on some of the other stuff.

NFL Draft Scout is about as good as you're going to find. However, before anyone uses their website, they should read this:

2013 NFL Combine: Teams don't honor NFL 40-time data - CBSSports

And any fan that uses NFL Network's unofficial 10-yard times is traveling down a slippery slope when comparing players because their 10 times are often different than the ones teams get when the master list is released to the teams. I would beg any fan not to get too carried away with looking at THOSE times when trying to compare players. I cringe anytime I see fans look at the splits as gospel when coming up with an evaluation on a player or players just because they vary more than any other number from the combine.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
UGA LB Jones passed multiple teams' tests

CBS Sports' Rob Rang writes that Georgia LB Jarvis Jones passed multiple teams' medical tests.

This is an interesting nugget from Rang as there were multiple reports from the combine that suggested otherwise. However, those reports clearly didn't account for all teams. Jones' medicals largely depend on the team doctor, which could result in him still going high in the draft despite many suggesting he's hurt his stock.
Source: CBS Sports

Mar 4 - 2:36 PM

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Amazing body control. I wish he were a little bit more elusive though in making people miss. That would impore his YAC ability. I don't know a darn thing about this kid, but I'm very intrigued!!

Report: UNI WR runs unbelievable 4.19 forty

Northern Iowa WR Terrell Sinkfield reportedly ran a forty time of 4.19 seconds at Minnesota's Pro Day.

His first forty clocked in at 4.24 seconds, so Sinkfield was asked to run a third time following the 4.19. After stumbling, he finished with a 4.41. We don't buy the record breaking time and chalk it up to Pro Day differences, but found it notable nonetheless.
Source: Fox Sports North

Mar 5 - 2:22 PM

Last edited by a moderator:

4lifer9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
for someone running a 4.19, I didn't see game breaking touchdown runs.. Just something I'd expect

EaseUrStorm

Chief Imagination Officer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
That highlight reel was very underwhelming - track speed is not game speed. And pro-day track speed is definitely not game speed.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Aggie Sports:

Christine Michael said he went into NFL Combine extremely sick, Nyquil knocked him out so he overslept. Said he apologized to teams.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
for someone running a 4.19, I didn't see game breaking touchdown runs.. Just something I'd expect

I see a couple instances where he literraly had to turn around and wait for the ball, before catching it in the endzone. That's an indicator that he is fast enough to create such a big seperation between he and he defender. Again, I see that a couple times in the footage which is a good indicator that he has very good game speed. He may not run a 4.1 at the combine had he been invited, but he surely looks like a legit 4.3 type player based on what I saw.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

I don't know much about that offense for me to be critical or supportive of him so I'm going to leave it at that. What I can tell though is his ability to adjust to balls often and make tough catches. Great body control, he's not stiff.

4lifer9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I don't know much about that offense for me to be critical or supportive of him so I'm going to leave it at that. What I can tell though is his ability to adjust to balls often and make tough catches. Great body control, he's not stiff.

That's definitely true there. What I was referring to was he never seemed to get by the defense.. Agree he has great control and good looking hands. Also, could be a situation where his QB can't get him the ball over the top..

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
NFL Draft Scout is about as good as you're going to find. However, before anyone uses their website, they should read this:

2013 NFL Combine: Teams don't honor NFL 40-time data - CBSSports

And any fan that uses NFL Network's unofficial 10-yard times is traveling down a slippery slope when comparing players because their 10 times are often different than the ones teams get when the master list is released to the teams. I would beg any fan not to get too carried away with looking at THOSE times when trying to compare players. I cringe anytime I see fans look at the splits as gospel when coming up with an evaluation on a player or players just because they vary more than any other number from the combine.

Yeah, that's what I use. Just type in the guy's name and "combine results" and NFL draft scout is usually one of the top choices on google. If it's not, just add "nfldraftscout."

optimist4720

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Dont know about the speed but the guy is making some very good to excellent adjustments to poor/underthrown passes and exhibits pretty good body control.

Tubbs1518

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,077.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, I did say I had a feeling the Niners wanted him, but that was before they traded for Boldin.

I hope they don't stupidly trade up fo him.

They aren't getting him unless they trade up for him.