• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NFL reportedly would consider widening field similar to CFL to make the game safer

huskers1217

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
images

maybe relax the rules you made up like 10 years ago....

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Interesting idea. I'd like to see the CFL's endzone size and single point rule too, but that's rather far fetched lol.

You aren't going to get the rouge, especially with the move to reduce big collisions (haven't they tried to increase touchbacks?).

I can't see them going as wide as the CFL. The CFL field is huge, and it's 12 on 12.

In an article I was reading about it someone mentioned the logistical problem. I know when the NHL was talking about going to international sized ice one of the biggest reasons against was renovating all the arenas.

So, how many current NFL stadiums are equipped to adapt to a CFL field? Probably none (it's an additional 12 yards).

I could, however, see widening the field a little, maybe two yards?

Arete Tzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hate the idea. The last thing we need is favoring the offense even more, and I just don't see how giving player more room to run reduces injury. At some point we just have to accept that injuries are a part of this game.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Two things:

1. I would like for college and the NFL to have the same field, I believe it is now, but not sure. Widening it would make sure that it wasn't or would/should prompt college to change, too. This isn't like the three point line in college and NBA where you can just say, "adjust."

2. Kaepernick would be exposed to more hits because it would be harder to get out of bounds if he needed 6 more yards on each side. At the very least, this would mean he'd need to run more horizontal than vertical to avoid the hit. Yes, the defenders would also need to run 6 more yards, but I just feel this hurts the QB if he needs to scramble and makes it harder for designed runs (though designed runs would take into account the extra 6).

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder how many curtains the NFL is going to put on this window of safety before they start dealing with the real problem - which isn't the size of the field.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder how many curtains the NFL is going to put on this window of safety before they start dealing with the real problem - which isn't the size of the field.

Yes, everyone knows it the conformity of the socks.

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From what I heard on the radio yesterday is that they want to widen it by 4 yards. The theory is that if you have a bigger field then speed is emphasized even more so smaller/lighter guys will be in bigger demand, thus creating "safer" collisions. Then he said that things really aren't as much about safety as they are about creating a defense for future litigation.

I don't think this would even affect the size of the players though. Even that fat guys are fast in today's NFL. Eventually a defense who gives up 30 a game is going to be considered great.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From what I heard on the radio yesterday is that they want to widen it by 4 yards. The theory is that if you have a bigger field then speed is emphasized even more so smaller/lighter guys will be in bigger demand, thus creating "safer" collisions. Then he said that things really aren't as much about safety as they are about creating a defense for future litigation.

I don't think this would even affect the size of the players though. Even that fat guys are fast in today's NFL. Eventually a defense who gives up 30 a game is going to be considered great.

Safer collisions my ass. Players will adapt. HGH will be used more and their training will be adjusted to work more explosiveness and speed. So we will still have 330 DL running 4.7s knocking people's heads off. Nothing will change with these rules. The NFL has to improve on drug testing and the subsequent penalties. 4 games for substance abuse, IMO, ain't shit of a deterrent.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, the things the NFL floats to distract people from their WWE Officiating.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
our balls are bigger in the cfl too

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Good ol' Goodell. :clap:

This one I have to give to you.

While they're at it, why don't they consider using a round ball instead of the one they use now. And better yet, since it's called football, the players can only KICK the ball. Can't use their hands. That sounds reasonable right?

I hope this is nothing more than lawsuit posturing.