• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NFL Free Agency tracker 2023

kbso83432

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read that Curl is next year. Sweat is before Curl it appears.

No rush with Curl...I do want that LTD though.

I am still worried about our OLine. Gates and Wylie are good starts but not near enough.

I want calls made to Mecole Hardman , Garrett Bradbury, Rock Ya Sin, and David Long. Need to caste wide nets here.
I think the Dantzler pick up means OL at 16

skinz2winz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the Barton signing a lot. Looks like he is quick and a tackling machine. Shocked SEA didn't bring him back?
Because he cannot tackle in space.

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because he cannot tackle in space.
I am disappointed we didn't make a run at David Long. He just signed a very reasonable deal and is young and talented.

I would like the rest of free agency to target 1 or 2 starters, and then we can head into the draft. The camp body signings are always there, but we need a few more starters obviously. You cannot count on the draft to find starters as you don't know your guy with be there. I like White and

One thing that irks me about Rivera is that he neglects or has bad judgment on LBs since he has been here. Some good options out there still. We need to avoid the massive contracts and focus on the smart deals. I like White and Al-Shaair.

skinz2winz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not sure how this is thrift store. We signed the starting RT of the Super Bowl winners, the starting center of a playoff team that got a win, a starting corner from a 12 win team, and a possible starter at LB.
Have you not wondered why their former teams let these players go? Wylie gave up 9 sacks last year. That will get a QB killed. Gates was a backup before becoming a starter, got injured and returned but what is he now, a starter or a backup? Dantzler ran a combine 4.6/40, all though drafted in round 3, out right cut. Once beaten out for PT by Breeland, yes that Breeland. Barton looks terrible in space so is he better than Holcomb or was the 1 yr signing a cheap fix or depth?

Either way, this team needs starting quality/upgrades at both guards spots and center, LB and corner. Whether Wylie is a G or T I guess he would be an upgrade based on where he came from (KC) but I will hold judgement for now.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

chillerdab

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wylie also was on an island vs Reddick in the super bowl and held his own.

I’m guessing a few of those sacks were on mahomey trying to make plays rolling to his right.

Also, in EB we trust.

Also, one stud lineman drafted in the first or second round will make the players we do have and the recent signees better.

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have you not wondered why their former teams let these players go? Wylie gave up 9 sacks last year. That will get a QB killed. Gates was a backup before becoming a starter, got injured and returned but what is he now, a starter or a backup? Dantzler ran a combine 4.6/40, all though drafted in round 3, out right cut. Once beaten out for PT by Breeland, yes that Breeland. Barton looks terrible in space so is he better than Holcomb or was the 1 yr signing a cheap fix or depth?

Either way, this team needs starting quality/upgrades at both guards spots and center, LB and corner. Whether Wylie is a G or T I guess he would be an upgrade based on where he came from (KC) but I will hold judgement for now.

There are several reasons for this. The first and most likely is salary cap. Why didn’t the KC Chiefs try and keep Orlando Brown? Another option is they have an in-house replacement. There is a chance that their team just didn’t want to pay them.

Gates was not a backup actually. 2019 and 2020 he started all 16 games for the NYG. 2021, he got hurt playing against us in week 2 and never returned until last season after 7 surgeries. When he returned, he was the starter and started 2 playoff games.

Can you show me sacks allowed for all RTs? I am curious. Mahomes tends to keep plays alive, could that be a factor? Do you have no faith in Bienemy?

As for Dantzler, the Vikings are blowing up the team and are currently 6 million over the cap still.

Barton, who knows. Terrible in space doesn’t get 130 tackles.

Starting quality upgrades…I literally showed you that both OL were starters on playoff teams.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think most of the time the answer is cap clearance. Maybe the player wasn't progressing or maybe they have an in-house player who they feel better about.

Wylie did give up 9 sacks last year. I don't like that; however, he played well in the playoffs and it has been mentioned he might move to Guard. He is an upgrade over Turner at Guard and Cosmi at RT. In other words, it was a smart signing I feel. I give it an A for sure.

I don't care for the Dantzler claim. I understand why they did it and to me, it seems like a reclamation project. Per a Minny beat writer:

The former third-round pick in the 2020 NFL draft had a tumultuous time with the Vikings. He got playing time consistently, but his injuries paired with up and down play resulted in both multiple benchings and the Vikings waiving him on Saturday, March 11th.

I don't like how any of that sounds at all. JDR must see something and feels he can get him going. I believe he is making 2.7 million. This is the one move I was confused by. I am guessing he will be used for depth only.

I really like the Barton signing a lot. It is my favorite one of the day actually. Looks like Barton came into his own last year and was not going to be brought back for cap reasons. He had a fantastic year last year and will hopefully move Bostic or Mayo off the roster (Bostic is a FA but a favorite of Rivera). Barton might even start...we don't know. Given how terrible our LB corp was last year, I love any upgrades we can get. This is an upgrade for sure. I am hoping we bring in a starting LB but Rivera has done a crappy job of properly evaluating this position for the most part. I give it an A+

I am not as high on Gates as others are here, but I suppose it depends on the expectation. If the expectation is for him to start, it was a bad move. If he is going to be our utility OLineman, I like it. I am not a fan of bringing in former severely injured players, but this might work. He played on 10 games last year and had 7 operations on the injured leg. They thought it might have to be amputated at one point. It appears he is a "big nasty" so I am pleased with that. The contract looks good to me but I do not support starting him when more talented players remain out there.

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wylie also was on an island vs Reddick in the super bowl and held his own.

I’m guessing a few of those sacks were on mahomey trying to make plays rolling to his right.

Also, in EB we trust.

Also, one stud lineman drafted in the first or second round will make the players we do have and the recent signees better.
Apparently, we are now focusing on "our own". I don't like that tweet and it maybe not be true. It signals to me that the focus on getting starters or upgrades is shifting to "our own". If the player produced and deserves to be back, then let's get them back AFTER we address the gapping holes and address areas with a substandard starter. Some of the players he has mentioned have yet to contribute to a winning season here. Bringing back TH is a head-scratcher to me and I am not sure EB would sign off on that. Maybe he would?

To me, it signals that Rivera wants to keep him around and maybe not fully devoted to Howell. Rivera loves TH and realizes he made a mistake by going back to Wentz against CLE. I think we need to part ways, but I am not Rivera. Maybe he would. I personally don't think we need to "focus" on bringing back our own at this point.

If Keim is right, then we still have major OLine issues. One thing that concerns me is the lack of cuts this team has made. I am not seeing why McKissic, Norwell, Roullier, and Thomas have not been cut. Rivera has done little to free up additional cap space and I think he is thinking like a GM would. Like I said, I would like the team to continue to look for upgrades and smart deals. I liked the strong start but said that I am nervous that Rivera/Mayhew would fall asleep at the wheel. They have a lot more work to do as we only found 1 sure starter today. Who knows, we might be aggressive again tomorrow. That is what I would do if I were coaching for my job like Rivera. He might hit some home runs tomorrow!

Last edited:

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Weird signing unless he is the new johnny on the spot. Is Wes gone?
He was supposed to be the next center in New York, but got hurt. Last season was his recovery year playing at Guard. Daboll brought Feliciano with him from Buffalo.

Could be a decent pickup for you. Can't have enough solid lineman and stole one from the Giants.

skinz2winz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are several reasons for this. The first and most likely is salary cap. Why didn’t the KC Chiefs try and keep Orlando Brown? Another option is they have an in-house replacement. There is a chance that their team just didn’t want to pay them.

Gates was not a backup actually. 2019 and 2020 he started all 16 games for the NYG. 2021, he got hurt playing against us in week 2 and never returned until last season after 7 surgeries. When he returned, he was the starter and started 2 playoff games.

Can you show me sacks allowed for all RTs? I am curious. Mahomes tends to keep plays alive, could that be a factor? Do you have no faith in Bienemy?

As for Dantzler, the Vikings are blowing up the team and are currently 6 million over the cap still.

Barton, who knows. Terrible in space doesn’t get 130 tackles.

Starting quality upgrades…I literally showed you that both OL were starters on playoff teams.
I'm curious as to why Wylie was let go. He didn't get a large bag on this deal? Agreed starters on playoff teams.

skinz2winz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think most of the time the answer is cap clearance. Maybe the player wasn't progressing or maybe they have an in-house player who they feel better about.

Wylie did give up 9 sacks last year. I don't like that; however, he played well in the playoffs and it has been mentioned he might move to Guard. He is an upgrade over Turner at Guard and Cosmi at RT. In other words, it was a smart signing I feel. I give it an A for sure.

I don't care for the Dantzler claim. I understand why they did it and to me, it seems like a reclamation project. Per a Minny beat writer:

The former third-round pick in the 2020 NFL draft had a tumultuous time with the Vikings. He got playing time consistently, but his injuries paired with up and down play resulted in both multiple benchings and the Vikings waiving him on Saturday, March 11th.

I don't like how any of that sounds at all. JDR must see something and feels he can get him going. I believe he is making 2.7 million. This is the one move I was confused by. I am guessing he will be used for depth only.

I really like the Barton signing a lot. It is my favorite one of the day actually. Looks like Barton came into his own last year and was not going to be brought back for cap reasons. He had a fantastic year last year and will hopefully move Bostic or Mayo off the roster (Bostic is a FA but a favorite of Rivera). Barton might even start...we don't know. Given how terrible our LB corp was last year, I love any upgrades we can get. This is an upgrade for sure. I am hoping we bring in a starting LB but Rivera has done a crappy job of properly evaluating this position for the most part. I give it an A+

I am not as high on Gates as others are here, but I suppose it depends on the expectation. If the expectation is for him to start, it was a bad move. If he is going to be our utility OLineman, I like it. I am not a fan of bringing in former severely injured players, but this might work. He played on 10 games last year and had 7 operations on the injured leg. They thought it might have to be amputated at one point. It appears he is a "big nasty" so I am pleased with that. The contract looks good to me but I do not support starting him when more talented players remain out there.
I get it, just looking for quality not quantity. Good post Duke. Not as high on Barton as you are but I am happy they are being aggressive with OL repair. Perhaps a trade back would allow a LT & C in consecutive picks rd 1-2. Complete reclamation less Cosmi.

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apparently, we are now focusing on "our own". I don't like that tweet and it maybe not be true. It signals to me that the focus on getting starters or upgrades is shifting to "our own". If the player produced and deserves to be back, then let's get them back AFTER we address the gapping holes and address areas with a substandard starter. Some of the players he has mentioned have yet to contribute to a winning season here. Bringing back TH is a head-scratcher to me and I am not sure EB would sign off on that. Maybe he would?

To me, it signals that Rivera wants to keep him around and maybe not fully devoted to Howell. Rivera loves TH and realizes he made a mistake by going back to Wentz against CLE. I think we need to part ways, but I am not Rivera. Maybe he would. I personally don't think we need to "focus" on bringing back our own at this point.

If Keim is right, then we still have major OLine issues. One thing that concerns me is the lack of cuts this team has made. I am not seeing why McKissic, Norwell, Roullier, and Thomas have not been cut. Rivera has done little to free up additional cap space and I think he is thinking like a GM would. Like I said, I would like the team to continue to look for upgrades and smart deals. I liked the strong start but said that I am nervous that Rivera/Mayhew would fall asleep at the wheel. They have a lot more work to do as we only found 1 sure starter today. Who knows, we might be aggressive again tomorrow. That is what I would do if I were coaching for my job like Rivera. He might hit some home runs tomorrow!

Look up June 1 cuts.

Chase Roullier would carry 8 million in dead cap space if cut today and counts only 12.1 million against the cap if he comes back. He is one of the better centers in the league. Just look at the difference he made last season. He played week 1 against Jax and we gave up only one sack. He got injured weeks 2 and our OL fell apart. I think this is why Gates was brought in. He is insurance and versatile.

Who are you going to replace JD with? He only counts 3.2 million against the cap but Carrie’s a 2 mil dead cap. Can you replace him with 1.2 mil?

Norwell is 5.1 mil but Carrie’s 2.8 in dead space. Can you replace him with 2.3 mil? Maybe. But you can’t cut players until you replace them.

Thomas getting cut makes the most sense to me. He only Carrie’s 3.5 in dead space but counts 8.5 against the cap. Maybe they are waiting until June 1 but I would just get rid of him now.

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look up June 1 cuts.

Chase Roullier would carry 8 million in dead cap space if cut today and counts only 12.1 million against the cap if he comes back. He is one of the better centers in the league. Just look at the difference he made last season. He played week 1 against Jax and we gave up only one sack. He got injured weeks 2 and our OL fell apart. I think this is why Gates was brought in. He is insurance and versatile.

Who are you going to replace JD with? He only counts 3.2 million against the cap but Carrie’s a 2 mil dead cap. Can you replace him with 1.2 mil?

Norwell is 5.1 mil but Carrie’s 2.8 in dead space. Can you replace him with 2.3 mil? Maybe. But you can’t cut players until you replace them.

Thomas getting cut makes the most sense to me. He only Carrie’s 3.5 in dead space but counts 8.5 against the cap. Maybe they are waiting until June 1 but I would just get rid of him now.
I am familiar with June 1 cuts and I also know you can release someone now and designate them as a June 1 cut.

Roullier is a good player when healthy. I love the quote "Availability is sometimes more important than ability". Roullier fits that description.

Jonathan Williams was signed earlier this month. JD simply cannot stay on the field and is taking up a roster spot. It has been rumored that his neck injury could be a career killer. It is not hard to replace someone who cannot stay on the field. I would look at the draft to upgrade the 3rd down back.

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am familiar with June 1 cuts and I also know you can release someone now and designate them as a June 1 cut.

Roullier is a good player when healthy. I love the quote "Availability is sometimes more important than ability". Roullier fits that description.

Jonathan Williams was signed earlier this month. JD simply cannot stay on the field and is taking up a roster spot. It has been rumored that his neck injury could be a career killer. It is not hard to replace someone who cannot stay on the field. I would look at the draft to upgrade the 3rd down back.

You can designate up to two players as post June 1 prior to June 1.

Like I said, that is why you bring in Gates…just in case Roullier is a no go.

Jonathan Williams was signed with only 23k guaranteed. JD is not taking up a roster spot at this point...not one that is filled. So which pick are you planning on replacing him with? What if your guy is gone?

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can designate up to two players as post June 1 prior to June 1.

Like I said, that is why you bring in Gates…just in case Roullier is a no go.

Jonathan Williams was signed with only 23k guaranteed. JD is not taking up a roster spot at this point...not one that is filled. So which pick are you planning on replacing him with? What if your guy is gone?
I have said for weeks now that Jerick McKinnon should be our target for a 3rd down back.