• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NFL considering unlimited IR returns after three games missed

LambeauLegs

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,938.22
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If ya get the damn virus I guess you are not done for the year and can come back in 3 weeks

With the COVID-19 pandemic threatening to upend the 2020 season, the NFL is considering a move that could help teams manage a rash of positive tests.

NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reported Friday that one suggestion endorsed by the NFL's competition committee to help clubs cope with COVID-19 is allowing an unlimited number of players to return from injured reserve and non-football injury lists and lowering the required games missed from eight to three, per sources informed of the discourse.

The idea to let players return from IR sooner would be in an effort to minimize the damage teams face from positive COVID-19 tests, particularly if there are a slew of players affected.

Per Pelissero, players would still need to make the final active roster to be considered for IR-return (a stipulation of the current system, which allows three players to return to IR after sitting out at least eight weeks.)

The hesitancy in the past for not allowing more players to return from IR was the belief among teams that clubs would stash young players on IR to keep them around rather than lose them to another squad.

Pelissero added that there is less concern in the current environment about stashing than ensuring teams have players they trained available.

The question of shortening IR stays is one of several issues the NFL and the NFLPA are attempting to iron out as the season quickly approaches. NFL owners are scheduled to hold a conference call Friday to discuss the latest COVID-19 talks between the union and league.

Debbie Does

Question Authority
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A more flexible IR system would also make it easier for other league goals, like more teams and more games per season.

These things are for the league's benefit, not for the players.

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not thrilled about an unlimited IR return after 3 games because it would have to apply to all absences rather than just covid19. Teams would abuse such a system simply because they could and it was in their interest to do so. I think the NFL should expand PS rosters and expand the SEA, (auto PS to active roster temporary promotion), from 2 X 2 to 6 X 6. If that means reducing the active roster from 53 to 52 to save on player costs then so be it.

Any 3 game IR regulation should have some safeguards built into it to prevent talent hoarding. For example the 3 game IR wouldn't kick in until a team had at least 6 players on IR and at least 3 players on IR would still be subject to a 6 week minimum.

RememberTheKoy

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
roster sizes should be expanded to around 100.

PickleRick

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not thrilled about an unlimited IR return after 3 games because it would have to apply to all absences rather than just covid19. Teams would abuse such a system simply because they could and it was in their interest to do so. I think the NFL should expand PS rosters and expand the SEA, (auto PS to active roster temporary promotion), from 2 X 2 to 6 X 6. If that means reducing the active roster from 53 to 52 to save on player costs then so be it.

Any 3 game IR regulation should have some safeguards built into it to prevent talent hoarding. For example the 3 game IR wouldn't kick in until a team had at least 6 players on IR and at least 3 players on IR would still be subject to a 6 week minimum.
I dont see why they couldnt have a specific stipulation for allowing this only in case of covid.

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
roster sizes should be expanded to around 100.
I understand that you're trolling but why would the NFL expand active roster numbers? All that would do is extend the number of players who get full pay without contributing on the game day roster. Why not have them on the PS where they'll only earn a proportion of active roster pay?

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont see why they couldnt have a specific stipulation for allowing this only in case of covid.
The team or player could say they have the disease even if they didn't. It wouldn't be a good look for the NFL to be sending doctors or physicians to test players who were already self-isolating. Nor would it be a a good idea to require players who supposedly had already tested positive to go out into the community to be re-tested. At some point you have to take positive tests on trust, and not every franchise can be trusted, (no names :whistle:).

RememberTheKoy

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand that you're trolling but why would the NFL expand active roster numbers? All that would do is extend the number of players who get full pay without contributing on the game day roster. Why not have them on the PS where they'll only earn a proportion of active roster pay?

I'm not trolling. Increasing the practices squad so much that you have around 100 total on the roster works too. I think there are going to be scenarios in play where one person of a position is positive and it causes the entire position group to either get it or have to quarantine. Could be instances on game day where you might need to replace an entire position group to even be able to play. I think that is why they need these almost sort of mini backup position groups that don't share the same position room but work with an assistant defensive line coach while the main group works with the defensive line coach. Just have these emergency reserve mini position groups that can step in for at least a game if an entire group can't go.

PickleRick

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The team or player could say they have the disease even if they didn't. It wouldn't be a good look for the NFL to be sending doctors or physicians to test players who were already self-isolating. Nor would it be a a good idea to require players who supposedly had already tested positive to go out into the community to be re-tested. At some point you have to take positive tests on trust, and not every franchise can be trusted, (no names :whistle:).
I would assume that before they are allowed to return that they take an antibodies test. If they have no antibodies, it means they were bullshitting, and must stay out the required 8 weeks.

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would assume that before they are allowed to return that they take an antibodies test. If they have no antibodies, it means they were bullshitting, and must stay out the required 8 weeks.
I wouldn't assume anything when it comes to athletes trying to cheat a test. :wink:

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only reason rosters are so small and IR return is so limited is to save owners money.

It's certainly not a benefit for the level of football played.