• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NFL Considering Holding Games in Hawaii and Canada

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Has the option been floated of a 17th game but it must be played in a non-NFL city? That would be pretty cool. There are enough top 50 US markets that don't have a team to support that, could be like a CFB bowl rotation. Sprinkle in an international city every so often and there you have it.

Yeah, I could see the NFL going to San Antonio, Portland, Memphis, Salt Lake City, maybe Toronto, Vancover, London, MEX City...etc. That would work better than going to CFB stadiums, but we get back to the stadium issue, most of these cities will have facilities not much better than what they play on in MEX. If the NFL would partner up with these cities and help provide field turf surfaces, I can see cities willing to meet them halfway and bring in a few NFL games to their city every year.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Games at stadiums for Texas, A&M, Tennessee, Scar, tOSU, Michigan, FSU, ND.

Sure there are NFL stadiums close by, but still would be cool to see NFL players going back to some of their alma mater or where they played before. Imagine a draw of Cowboys vs Texans in Waco, College Station, or Austin. WOuldn't be fair, but seening the Cowboys play anyone at the cotton bowl again would be pretty sweet.

I can see GB being a big draw playing in Madison WS, or Milwaukee (they have played there btw)...Or the Falcons playing in Athens, GA, or Auburn, AL, DAL playing in College Station, or Austin, I can see that working on a limited basis. that said, truly neutral sites on college campuses is risky.

I would think they would need to go to non NFL cities of substantial size for make this work on a long term basis.

Debbie Does

Question Authority
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is this more fallout from fantasy football, where fans lose interest in their local teams and just care about individual players and their stats, wherever they are?

It's not going to be easy to get brand new stadiums if you don't use them, either. Right, "Give us half a billion taxpayer dollars and we will play in Alabama or Hawaii and let some soccer team use it."

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The NFL only cares about new customers, they don't care about their repeat customers.

This is the single greatest problem of United States international corporations in the current year. They get all the safety, stability, legal help, financial help, and asset valuations that this great country's citizens provide, and then they heavily lobby and otherwise occupy our government officials' time with their foreign nonsense at expense of the citizens that provided them their entire worth in the first place.

Corporations that expand beyond the United States should be disbanded by United States courts.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is this more fallout from fantasy football, where fans lose interest in their local teams and just care about individual players and their stats, wherever they are?

It's not going to be easy to get brand new stadiums if you don't use them, either. Right, "Give us half a billion taxpayer dollars and we will play in Alabama or Hawaii and let some soccer team use it."
Blaming fantasy football absolves the league of 100% of the blame that they deserve. It's their choice. Football fans want to see football. At one time this meant bring it to new people on their TV's. Now it means taking it from the people whom paid for the stadiums and giving it to foreigners.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I could see the NFL going to San Antonio, Portland, Memphis, Salt Lake City, maybe Toronto, Vancover, London, MEX City...etc. That would work better than going to CFB stadiums, but we get back to the stadium issue, most of these cities will have facilities not much better than what they play on in MEX. If the NFL would partner up with these cities and help provide field turf surfaces, I can see cities willing to meet them halfway and bring in a few NFL games to their city every year.
Yeah, I think any of the cities that have a stadium already there would work. And then host a game involving the 2 nearest teams. San Antonio already has the Alamodome for instance. A Cowboys/Texans matchup would be great. I think in most cases, they would have to use a college facility though. Portland doesn't really have a venue suitable so maybe Eugene would be better. A Seahawks/Niners game there would be a huge draw, I think. I look at things like that as truly neutral games where both fanbases can make a short trip and it becomes more of an event or mini vacation. And the teams don't need thousands of miles in extra travel to fucking London. They need to cut that thing back or make sure teams have bye weeks right after.
If the league is going ahead with the idea, these are really the solutions. And as I said previously, the owners need to make sure fields are playable. Spend a little money on field turf where needed. The extra revenue will more than offset the cost, imo.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I think any of the cities that have a stadium already there would work. And then host a game involving the 2 nearest teams. San Antonio already has the Alamodome for instance. A Cowboys/Texans matchup would be great. I think in most cases, they would have to use a college facility though. Portland doesn't really have a venue suitable so maybe Eugene would be better. A Seahawks/Niners game there would be a huge draw, I think. I look at things like that as truly neutral games where both fanbases can make a short trip and it becomes more of an event or mini vacation. And the teams don't need thousands of miles in extra travel to fucking London. They need to cut that thing back or make sure teams have bye weeks right after.
If the league is going ahead with the idea, these are really the solutions. And as I said previously, the owners need to make sure fields are playable. Spend a little money on field turf where needed. The extra revenue will more than offset the cost, imo.

We'll see where it goes, but clearly the NFL is looking for growth opportunities. I'm on board with the current model of 16 reg season game and 12 teams in the playoffs, but of all of the growth ideas I've heard...a 17th neutral site game is the best I've heard so far.

The players better think that one through because even if the neutral site thing fails, they won't be going back to 16 games.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this whole neutral site thing has a lot more issues than just home game or away game.
Say two teams fighting for the division or maybe fighting for a last wild card.
One team just happens to play in a game that was a neutral site 3 or 4 times.
The other just once.
Some could deem that as an advantage to not have to play against the home team as often as the other team.
Once you get all that fair
the other thing is it the same in Tiebreakers.
Did you play your neutral site in a NFC/AFC game or a same conference game or a same division game, vs the team you are fighting for the division/Wild card?

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this whole neutral site thing has a lot more issues than just home game or away game.
Say two teams fighting for the division or maybe fighting for a last wild card.
One team just happens to play in a game that was a neutral site 3 or 4 times.
The other just once.
Some could deem that as an advantage to not have to play against the home team as often as the other team.
Once you get all that fair
the other thing is it the same in Tiebreakers.
Did you play your neutral site in a NFC/AFC game or a same conference game or a same division game, vs the team you are fighting for the division/Wild card?
I believe all teams will end up playing ONE neutral site game. Example the Jags annual trip across the pond would be their neutral site game. This may mean more games will be played in London yearly too. I could see 7 or 8 games being held there.

Schmoopy1000

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe all teams will end up playing ONE neutral site game. Example the Jags annual trip across the pond would be their neutral site game. This may mean more games will be played in London yearly too. I could see 7 or 8 games being held there.
I am sure they will think of this before doing it, but it has to be a scheduling nightmare. Not only making the extra game fit in the schedule but making sure all teams are in only one game but in all different weeks & then are they all NFC/AFC games (which is what I would suggest) or would the games have different ramifications to tie breakers?

Just pointing out there is a lot more to consider if they adding "one" week to the season.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am sure they will think of this before doing it, but it has to be a scheduling nightmare. Not only making the extra game fit in the schedule but making sure all teams are in only one game but in all different weeks & then are they all NFC/AFC games (which is what I would suggest) or would the games have different ramifications to tie breakers?

Just pointing out there is a lot more to consider if they adding "one" week to the season.

I'm just spit balling on how I think it can work. I cant see any team getting 9 home games while others only get 8, so I see EVERY team playing one neutral site game. I believe I read where the league is planning an extra bye week, so this could help with teams playing in london or Germany. Hell maybe even Australia is a possible destination and that's 18 hours from Las Vegas

Schmoopy1000

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm just spit balling on how I think it can work. I cant see any team getting 9 home games while others only get 8, so I see EVERY team playing one neutral site game. I believe I read where the league is planning an extra bye week, so this could help with teams playing in london or Germany. Hell maybe even Australia is a possible destination and that's 18 hours from Las Vegas
Yeah I know. I was just adding really.
If they are stupid enough to go to a 17 game season. I like the idea of neutral site games. makes the most sense. Instead of a team losing their home game when the NFL wants to do silly shit like go to london or Mexico, it could be a neutral site game. the NFL could exploit money from all over year to year instead of just being in set places.
Instead of having 2 or three games in weird places. They would have 16 of them every year.

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And hear people talk about it on the news. I get it.

I'd hear nothing. I don't have a phone giving me updates.

Full media blackouts are my thing. I do it all the time, and it isn't like I'd wait till the next day. I'd likely finish up with the rest of the world. Just no useless commercials and breaks.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You put Dallas vs Texans at Kyle Field and it would fill up with just about equal number of fans. Seats as many as Jerry World.

Start off saying it is a 3 year agreement. The nostalgia factor alone would sell every single seat. "Come see a chance to see Falcons vs Panthers in Athens". Just printing money.