• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NFL.COM QB Rankings

FourBeeDen

Semi Lurker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
This disclaimer at the bottom of the article should explain the author's NFL knowledge:

Jason Smith writes fantasy and other pith for NFL.com daily. Talk to him on Twitter @howaboutafresca. He only asks that you never bring up when the Jets play poorly.

jayviabay

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well he shouldnt write "other pith", or fantasy for that matter.

Here is the blurb that Jason Smith writes about his non-relative, Alex Smith:

25) Alex Smith, San Francisco 49ers: Again, like Dalton, the accolades weren't proportional to his accomplishments. He still only threw 17 touchdown passes in 16 regular-season games. This is Smith's ceiling, or the 49ers wouldn't have gone in as far as they did for Peyton Manning.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know you guys all probably hate Romo, but him not being in the top 10 is ridiculous.

jayviabay

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
actually i think you can make a case for Romo esp. if you can make one for Matty Ice...

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alex Smith has won more postseason games than Romo.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well he shouldnt write "other pith", or fantasy for that matter.

Here is the blurb that Jason Smith writes about his non-relative, Alex Smith:

25) Alex Smith, San Francisco 49ers: Again, like Dalton, the accolades weren't proportional to his accomplishments. He still only threw 17 touchdown passes in 16 regular-season games. This is Smith's ceiling, or the 49ers wouldn't have gone in as far as they did for Peyton Manning.

Anyone who says "this is his ceiling" doesn't deserve to be listened to. He's had more touchdowns (18) in 10.5 games in 2009. He's likely to have more than 5 INTs, but fewer than other years, per pass. In a second year, he's likely to improve on his play, in addition to others, simply by having more of a playbook, more understanding, and more of an off-season to be coached. And more confidence and leash (Harbaugh IMO will employ a sink or swim situation for him). Now, this is not guaranteed, but anyone who writes of someone so suredly better have a good resume for me to give any credence.

As for Peyton Manning - if PM were Garrard or somebody, I'd agree. But he's probably a person who would say that Alex shouldn't be insulted by the pursuit because that was Peyton fucking Manning. But in the same breath, say that since we went after Peyton fucking Manning means Alex must be 25th ranked... because PM is chopped liver? A secret workout and physical doesn't seem soooooo deep for me. I'm sure they offered similar money, but said it was his choice. They didn't send any jets to kidnap him like the Seahawks did. I don't understand these simple-minded impulses who spit out the first thing that jumps into their mind. Just as many of you assume I would defend Alex at all ends, he probably would criticize or curb any enthusiasm for him as much as he can. He'd probably have said before last season that Alex couldn't get 3000 yards because he hadn't done so before, ignoring that the two last years he averaged enough per game to get that. 3000 is not that much, just say that. But, he's not the worst at this.

Alex Smith has won more postseason games than Romo.

Higher percentage, not more. Romo did win one before getting blown out by Minnesota.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
His logic is a bit off in places which makes the list somewhat questionable imo.

Big Ben at number 3? Over Rodgers and Brees?

If Smith's accolades didn't match his accomplishments than why is Roethlisberger ranked over Rodgers and Brees who both have accolades and accomplishments superior to Ben.

As far as Smith goes I don't think he's hit his ceiling and I do agree with MHSL82 it's foolish for anyone to say considering everyone last year before the season started everybody was wondering how long Smith would last before CK was put in and absolutely nobody saw us going 13-3 and hosting the NFC championship game.

With that said I don't see there being a lot of room before he does hit that ceiling and it's not like he's magically going to turn into a passing beast like Rodgers, Stafford, or Brees.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His logic is a bit off in places which makes the list somewhat questionable imo.

Big Ben at number 3? Over Rodgers and Brees?

If Smith's accolades didn't match his accomplishments than why is Roethlisberger ranked over Rodgers and Brees who both have accolades and accomplishments superior to Ben.

As far as Smith goes I don't think he's hit his ceiling and I do agree with MHSL82 it's foolish for anyone to say considering everyone last year before the season started everybody was wondering how long Smith would last before CK was put in and absolutely nobody saw us going 13-3 and hosting the NFC championship game.

With that said I don't see there being a lot of room before he does hit that ceiling and it's not like he's magically going to turn into a passing beast like Rodgers, Stafford, or Brees.

See how easy that was? Why can't people say this instead? It seems lazy not to, or prejudiced. I'd say this about any QB, not just Smith, it just happens that he's on our roster and the only one on that list.

Yes, it's not likely he will magically become a passing beast, but I'd also have to say that it it's not like we're going to necessarily have long fields and no running game, either. So all of this contributes to why he won't have Rodgers/Brees numbers. Oh, and I agree he's not Rodgers or Brees - though I do expect 3500-4000 yards this year. If I'm being unrealistic, I'll find it out by play, not by someone (not you) telling me he won't.

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
This is the same Jason Smith that used to have the nighttime radio show on ESPN Radio.....wondered what happened to him. He's a clown whose knowledge of sports doesn't go much past what's covered on Sportscenter.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It could be worse... you could be one of the people who gets pissed off that he even put Alex Smith ahead of 7 other QBs.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It could be worse... you could be one of the people who gets pissed off that he even put Alex Smith ahead of 7 other QBs.

Anyone with half a brain knows there are 7 QBs at least below Alex, so I couldn't be those people. I have half a brain... now where the other half is, I don't know. I think my GPS was on that half. So yes, it could be worse.