• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NFC West Ranking

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wrestled with QB. Foles at his best in Philly was pretty darn good. But Sanchez looked good in Philly, and Foles didn't in his last iteration. Until he proves he can get it done away from Chip Kelly, I'm not prepared to put Foles above Palmer and Kap. That ranking in particular is very fluid IMO, though.

QB is the clear weakness across the division. I'm not sure the entire division can boast a top-10 guy. And ranking Foles, Palmer, and Kap is tough based on their numbers, skillsets, ages, injury histories, playoff success, etc.
Really good evaluation overall Crimson. I like Foles over all QBs in this division but you are correct in him needing to prove he can be that franchise QB. Jury is still out for me with Kap...one more season to figure if we have seen the best he can do.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't realize until just now that Jeremy Lane also tore his ACL when he broke his arm. Brutal for him. Tough to see him playing at a high level next year, if at all. Honestly, that tackle may have been Edelman's biggest play of the game. Seattle really struggled against the pass (for them, at least) after that.

I don't think that knowledge alters my division rankings. Sherman is still the best corner in the division IMO, even though he always plays the left side. And Cary Williams is a serviceable starter, at least. But they've got pretty big questions behind those two. The Hawks deserve even more benefit of the doubt in the area of grooming CBs than the Niners do, though.

We are going to learn alot about grooming CBs this year with DJ, Aker, Reaser, and possibly a top CB from the draft coming on board. I am hoping one or more of these guys shows enough to overtake Wright on the depth chart.

Wolvie

2018 DCFFL Champion!
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is what I meant. Teams can through a bad patch. The team started getting on track when Scot McCloughan become GM and started drafting good players and this continued under Baalke. Had a awful coach under Singletary but it isn't as if everything was a mess when Harabaugh took over. He was given a talented roster to work with. Not as if another coach couldn't have won with that roster.
The Niners had Singletary for the 2008, 2009, and 2010 seasons.

In 2008 the team went 7-9, in 2009 8-8, and in 2010 6-10.

Then Harbaugh was hired and the team he inherited from Singletary went 13-3, then 11-4-1, then 12-4, then 8-8.

The difference between Singletary and Harbaugh is great. The real question then becomes, is Singleary that bad, is Harbaugh that good, or a mixture of both.

If Singletary is that bad, then Tomsula should be able to get you a winning season.
If Harbaugh is that good, you may be looking at a 4-6 win season.
If its a mixture of both, then you'll probably finish with 7 or 8 wins.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Then Harbaugh was hired and the team he inherited from Singletary went 13-3, then 11-4-1, then 12-4, then 8-8.

The difference between Singletary and Harbaugh is great. The real question then becomes, is Singleary that bad, is Harbaugh that good, or a mixture of both.

If Singletary is that bad, then Tomsula should be able to get you a winning season.

Singeltary was only head coach for two years and interim coach for part of one year. Singletary was that bad. He did okay as interim coach with Nolan's assistants. As soon as singletary took over the team and ran it his way, fired the OC and replaced him with Raye, the team went to crap. Harbaugh was much better but under Harbaugh who was supposed to be an offensive minded coach, the offense underperformed.

Last edited:

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

I tend to agree. That said, the division is MUCH tougher than it was in 2011.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 506.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't realize until just now that Jeremy Lane also tore his ACL when he broke his arm. Brutal for him. Tough to see him playing at a high level next year, if at all. Honestly, that tackle may have been Edelman's biggest play of the game. Seattle really struggled against the pass (for them, at least) after that.

I don't think that knowledge alters my division rankings. Sherman is still the best corner in the division IMO, even though he always plays the left side. And Cary Williams is a serviceable starter, at least. But they've got pretty big questions behind those two. The Hawks deserve even more benefit of the doubt in the area of grooming CBs than the Niners do, though.
Yes, the injuries to Lane were not only monumental to him, but I knew we were in trouble the moment he went out. The meant that Maxwell would shift to cover the slot, which NE is adept at exploiting any kind of weakness, and that Simon would have to play CB on the other side of Sherm who was hardly ever throw at. Toast. The rest is history.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I'm interested to see what the team does without Harbaugh. He had some real strengths, but also a lot of obvious shortcomings (offense and game management leap to mind). I think the developments on both sides of the ball should be quite interesting.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Singeltary was only head coach for one year and interim coach for part of one year.
I'm interested to see what the team does without Harbaugh. He had some real strengths, but also a lot of obvious shortcomings (offense and game management leap to mind). I think the developments on both sides of the ball should be quite interesting.

Especially the offense since that was supposed to be Harbaugh's domain. Some of Dennis Gile's comments regarding Kaepernick were interesting. While Giles wasn't openly critical of the coaching staff. His comments did question the offensive coaching staff.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Especially the offense since that was supposed to be Harbaugh's domain. Some of Dennis Gile's comments regarding Kaepernick were interesting. While Giles wasn't openly critical of the coaching staff. His comments did question the offensive coaching staff.

Hard not to question the coaching staff after last season's debacle. Way too much talent on the offensive side of the ball to have that sort of a season to show for it. The second half performance in particular is simply inexcusable. Our offense just collapsed virtually every week after halftime. We were shut out in the second half four times, scored three or fewer points in half our games (HALF!!!), and scored seven or fewer in 13 games. We only scored in the double-digits in the second half of two games. It was a bad joke.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 867.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Super post by Crimson, A+ for sure.

zman1527

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

Good way to put it. And without a track record of HC success, and in his first year with an entirely new staff, odds are that he is more likely not a great coach. How many are really going to be as good as harbs in the NFL? Not many, no particular reason to see Tomsula get there. Hope I am wrong, but the odds are not in our favor.

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"More people will pick the Niners to finish last in the NFC West than to make it back to the Super Bowl."

More people will be verifiably abducted by UFO's than will pick the 9ers to make it back to the Super Bowl.