• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

New rules are a microcosm of this attention span starved society

kramer1

Sports betting savant
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shot clock to 30 - hate it

No 5 second when guy is dribbling - hate it (This is an exciting defensive stop too...)

Dunking is no longer prohibited in pregame- This is a real game, not an all star game.

And then they have these pussy rules

• Physicality in post play.
• Screening, particularly moving screens and requiring that the screener be stationary.
• Block/charge plays.
• Allowing greater freedom of movement for players without the ball.

The game was perfect. They're fucking with it.

What was that basketball show they had on BET back in the day? They're turning it into that.

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let me start by saying, I do not believe the game was perfect and I believe it was moving in the wrong direction. And, I don't think I'm the only one who felt that way.

I agree on the first two. I don't see an issue with dunking being allowed in pregame. If they want to waste their time dunking so be it. Fwiw, players were allowed to dunk in pregame warmups beforehand, just not when the officials were on the court with like 8 minutes left before the game. I don't see it as affecting anything.

I think you should be stationary as a screener, otherwise we're making defense too hard.

Block/charge rules are dumb. Freedom of movement for all players was becoming a necessity. It was too hard to score and the game was evolving into a physical sport and I like that they're moving it back to a fundamental, skill based sport. Women's basketball can be fun to watch because it lacks the unnecessary physical contact that is ruining college basketball.

NDHoosier101

Reigning "Last to post" Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,338.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wholeheartily endorse the shorter shot clock. I like good physical defense, didn't see much wrong with the existing rules. The 35 second shot clock made the game boring though, with many teams pounding the ball into the floor at the top of the key for the first 10 seconds of every possession. Games flow better now.

kramer1

Sports betting savant
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hate the shorter clock. Just means more bad shots.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A shorter clock just means that teams will have more possessions, but it doesn't mean it will be more watchable from an offensive standpoint.

A team that can't score is going to score more points by default of getting more shots with the reduced shot clock, but it doesn't mean that they are any better offensively. Brutal offenses will still be brutal and tough to watch.

I'll argue that moving the 3-pt line back would have had a better effect for offensive flow than reducing the shot clock. Way too many college teams rely on the 3, moving it back would force teams to run actual offenses and move the ball instead of pound the ball and chuck a shot. It also would give players more room inside the 3pt line to operate and move.

Jim Rome is Flaming

Check that, Chris Everett
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hate the shorter clock. Just means more bad shots.

I disagree. 30 seconds is more than enough time to get a good shot. This rule was meant to combat the strategy of being up 10 with 5 minutes left, and holding the ball at half court for 28 seconds every possession as a basketball form of taking a knee.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shot clock to 30 - hate it

No 5 second when guy is dribbling - hate it (This is an exciting defensive stop too...)

Dunking is no longer prohibited in pregame- This is a real game, not an all star game.

And then they have these pussy rules

• Physicality in post play.
• Screening, particularly moving screens and requiring that the screener be stationary.
• Block/charge plays.
• Allowing greater freedom of movement for players without the ball.

The game was perfect. They're fucking with it.

What was that basketball show they had on BET back in the day? They're turning it into that.

I can't figure out what amuses me more, someone calling the game of basketball "perfect," or the thought of you watching a basketball show on BET.

Has anyone ever told you you're pretty fly for a white guy?

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
college basketball is the most over-coached sport around. anything that creates less coach involvement to the game is a plus to me. I cant believe a cincy fan would be against this. watching their style of play the past view seasons is beyond unwatchable

kramer1

Sports betting savant
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
college basketball is the most over-coached sport around. anything that creates less coach involvement to the game is a plus to me. I cant believe a cincy fan would be against this. watching their style of play the past view seasons is beyond unwatchable

I loved it. I hate this fast paced crap. I hate the NBA too.

kramer1

Sports betting savant
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't figure out what amuses me more, someone calling the game of basketball "perfect," or the thought of you watching a basketball show on BET.

Has anyone ever told you you're pretty fly for a white guy?

That basketball show on BET was entertaining, at least. The announcer was great. The nicknames were hilarious. Is that shit still on?

Fuck, I'm old.

jeffro151

Supervisor
Hoopla Cash
$ 34,232.13
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This sport is becoming damn near unwatchable. Freedom of Movement is a bunch of shit. The NBA already sucks, why do they want to turn college into the same shit?

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A shorter clock just means that teams will have more possessions, but it doesn't mean it will be more watchable from an offensive standpoint.

A team that can't score is going to score more points by default of getting more shots with the reduced shot clock, but it doesn't mean that they are any better offensively. Brutal offenses will still be brutal and tough to watch.

I'll argue that moving the 3-pt line back would have had a better effect for offensive flow than reducing the shot clock. Way too many college teams rely on the 3, moving it back would force teams to run actual offenses and move the ball instead of pound the ball and chuck a shot. It also would give players more room inside the 3pt line to operate and move.

If this is how you feel you should be in favor of the new freedom of movement. It's hard to get good shots when a defender can you his hands/body to keep you from running where you need to run off the ball. You'll get better shots when defenders are having to play through screens, switch, etc. and it'll look much more like basketball.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If this is how you feel you should be in favor of the new freedom of movement. It's hard to get good shots when a defender can you his hands/body to keep you from running where you need to run off the ball. You'll get better shots when defenders are having to play through screens, switch, etc. and it'll look much more like basketball.
I am. I'm a fan of defense, but it has to be done in a way that doesn't completely ruin the offense through contact. This is where moving the 3pt line and using the freedom of movement thing would have really worked well together. You increase the space offenses can operate in, and you eliminate some of these teams that do nothing by try and shoot nothing but 3's.

I'm not saying I hate the shorter clock, I don't. I'm just worried that people are going to look at the final scores, and they will be higher by default, and then think that the offenses are better when they are not. It's just a product of more shots, not better offense.

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am. I'm a fan of defense, but it has to be done in a way that doesn't completely ruin the offense through contact. This is where moving the 3pt line and using the freedom of movement thing would have really worked well together. You increase the space offenses can operate in, and you eliminate some of these teams that do nothing by try and shoot nothing but 3's.

I'm not saying I hate the shorter clock, I don't. I'm just worried that people are going to look at the final scores, and they will be higher by default, and then think that the offenses are better when they are not. It's just a product of more shots, not better offense.

by default the offense will be better. instead of teams wasting 15 seconds doing absolutely nothing on offense but standing 30+ ft from the basket dribbling around it will be 10 seconds. shorter shot clock should be an advantage to defensive teams.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
by default the offense will be better. instead of teams wasting 15 seconds doing absolutely nothing on offense but standing 30+ ft from the basket dribbling around it will be 10 seconds. shorter shot clock should be an advantage to defensive teams.
Not really.

If your teams sucks at shooting the ball...shaving time off the clock isn't going to make your offense better. It just prevents you from wasting more time before taking a horrible shot, and most likely missing it.

If your team shoots 35% it's going to shoot 35%. Yes, the shorter clock may make them get into their offensive motion sooner, but the end results still rests on the players being able to make shots.

The freedom of movement helps offenses more than the clock does. It addresses actual concerns that limit the offenses. The shorter clock just addresses concerns about teams wasting time, but it doesn't change how teams shoot, or their ability to make shots.

That's what I'm more focuses on.

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm sorry. I thought I was quoting Kramer who was against that. I completely agree with what you're saying, I made the same point last year when the shorter shot clock was discussed.