• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

New GM Rumors...Crossing Fingers

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He would be an interesting hire, and without looking too much into his resume aside from what is posed on that article, it sounds like a good one.

The Mariners are a mess right now though. I do believe that if the right moves are made, this team could compete in 2016. Keep in mind, this roster on paper is arguably better than the one last year that was a game away from making the playoffs. Which makes going into a complete rebuild right now, a somewhat difficult path to take. Plus, what do we really have to sell that would net us anything worth selling for?

Although these one run losses are difficult to swallow, and quite demoralizing, it does show that this team does play competitively, and an improvement here and there could mean a much better team.

I will say that I hope if Z goes, so does McClendon. I haven't hammered on Z too badly mostly because the problems of this team (aside from catcher) were somewhat difficult to predict, and his additions of Seth Smith and Nelson Cruz at this point I would give both an A grade.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We will see. He's a great candidate from what I have heard. Question is why would he want to come here. I think he turned down San Diego last winter

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We will see. He's a great candidate from what I have heard. Question is why would he want to come here. I think he turned down San Diego last winter
Good question.

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fuck it. Fire Z now, get an interim GM, and make the move. We should be selling but I don't trust Jack Z to do that. I'd rather have someone come in with what we have after another miserable season then have him make some idiotic moves out of desperation trying to save his job.

AceKeptic

Free Agent from Elsewhere
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As much as a new GM sounds like an idea right now, let's not forget: no matter how good a record one might have or what kind of integrity he may present to a franchise, we tend to forget who calls the shots. As long as Lincoln is in the FO, anyone we get as GM is going to be instantly grabbed by the kiwis and sent down the tubes with the team.

I remember the articles on how Z was supposed to be "no-nonsense" when we first got him. Look what happened there.

Hoping I'm wrong, but all signs point to the saboteur running the show.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Mariners are a mess right now though. I do believe that if the right moves are made, this team could compete in 2016. Keep in mind, this roster on paper is arguably better than the one last year that was a game away from making the playoffs. Which makes going into a complete rebuild right now, a somewhat difficult path to take. Plus, what do we really have to sell that would net us anything worth selling for?

Which has the Mariners exact problem since Pat Gillick filled the roster with guys on the verge of retirement. The team hasn't had the guys to sell to net loads of prospects, doesn't use their free agent money wisely and has been horrible at drafting/developing home grown talent.

I agree that the team on paper is better than last year but still weren't built to be a legitimate WS contender.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why would he pass up a president job for a general manager?

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

make it "general manager in seattle" and it works even better.

but seriously, i'll never know that world, but what a GM does and what a Pres do are very different. If he doesn't like the set of responsibilities he'd have as a pres, then he'd have to decide if the extra money makes it worth it.

Just assuming.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
make it "general manager in seattle" and it works even better.

but seriously, i'll never know that world, but what a GM does and what a Pres do are very different. If he doesn't like the set of responsibilities he'd have as a pres, then he'd have to decide if the extra money makes it worth it.

Just assuming.

There could be a logic behind it.

Perhaps the pay is better, and maybe he wanted a job that wasn't as much in the limelight like the general manager is. These guys get roasted on a daily basis in local and national media coverage. With being president, he may have less control over the roster, but gets paid more, less stress, etc.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have read a lot about him and M's today and I just don't see it. He can go somewhere with a winning tradition and who acts like a MLB franchise or come to the M's. Why again would he want to come here and with one of the thinnest farm systems, thinnest MLB talent, and over 50% of the teams payroll taken up by 3 guys?

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He wouldn't I just found it interesting his name was even brought up for here. Without a complete change in the organization structure guys like that won't be here. Likely just internal hires and yes man.

Cloud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look like Z is as good as gone after this season... Regardless, he needs to go! 7 years to fix this team and he failed miserably so maybe all that off-season hype was a good thing.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There isn't really a good front office job for the Mariners until there is new ownership. Taking a GM job right now for the Mariners has to be one of the worst jobs in professional sports. You have no real power a poor farm system, the big club isn't very good, you have some say but mostly it is praying that you can pull rabbits out of your ass to get a WS contender.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There isn't really a good front office job for the Mariners until there is new ownership. Taking a GM job right now for the Mariners has to be one of the worst jobs in professional sports. You have no real power a poor farm system, the big club isn't very good, you have some say but mostly it is praying that you can pull rabbits out of your ass to get a WS contender.

It's worse than taking a job as the WSU Cougars at this moment...

Kernz

Sativa
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fuck it. Fire Z now, get an interim GM, and make the move. We should be selling but I don't trust Jack Z to do that. I'd rather have someone come in with what we have after another miserable season then have him make some idiotic moves out of desperation trying to save his job.

Jack Z has been terrible - for 7 years.

How can someone so bad, keep their job at this level in the MLB?

Finally, the M's can at least to seriously attempt to improve once he's gone.

Jack Z is as done as dinner.

Good riddance.