• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

New Forum Format

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This new layout on Sports Hoopa is horrible.

I see a bunch of questionmarks if the thread starter doesn't have an avatar. Horrible.

And they moved the location of the "unread" chevron.

They switched from vBulletin to XenForo.

Last edited by a moderator:

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just wanted to let you know @nuraman00 that I didn't delete the above posts. I just moved them to a non-archive thread.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are some things about the old format that were great, but also a few things in this forum that I like better.

I can be alerted when someone quotes my posts and/or likes my post. I can embed videos better. I have the advanced posting options from the beginning - as I don't have to switch to Advanced to get there. I am hoping the automatic title tool re-appears, as right now, it just shows the address instead of the headline.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If someone doesn't have an avatar there's a question mark and the Unread icon got moved.

Therefore it's "horrible."

You have issues. :L

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are some things about the old format that were great, but also a few things in this forum that I like better.

I can be alerted when someone quotes my posts and/or likes my post. I can embed videos better. I have the advanced posting options from the beginning - as I don't have to switch to Advanced to get there. I am hoping the automatic title tool re-appears, as right now, it just shows the address instead of the headline.

What's the "automatic title tool"?

The emoticons that are there to respond to posts, are funny.

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All things new take time. Patience is the key. Each day there are new improvements and you will come to really appreciate them I'm sure :nod:

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Thanks, good points.

What do you find easier about embedding now? I thought it was easy before. You even said before how this was the best forum with how easy it was to embed.

I still think this is the best forum with the YouTube and ease of posting links, etc.;

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow, we can't edit posts at all now.

I thought the 5 min edit timer was too restrictive, by the time I would finish reading my post, and fixing a few things or adding a few things, the 5 mins was over. Preferred when it was 10 mins before.

But now, there's NO editing?

EDIT: Oh, we can edit posts. It was just hiding in the left corner. :)

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like how this forum has autosave.

However, vBulletin had autosave too, it's just that it was disabled on Sports SportsHoopla, or that Sports SportsHoopla wasn't using the version of vBulletin with autosave. Other forums with vBulletin were using autosave. Sports SportsHoopla could have been using it too, but I guess it was an admin decision not to use it.

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow, we can't edit posts at all now.

I thought the 5 min edit timer was too restrictive, by the time I would finish reading my post, and fixing a few things or adding a few things, the 5 mins was over. Preferred when it was 10 mins before.

But now, there's NO editing?

:L

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All things new take time. Patience is the key. Each day there are new improvements and you will come to really appreciate them I'm sure :nod:

We don't deserve you, Cali. :suds:

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It will take a few months for me to evaluate how well this forum's search functionality is. I didn't like vBulletin's search, that was the only major complaint. I'd end up using a search engine to search through Sports SportsHoopla posts.

This seems like it could be a lot better on XenForo, we will see. :thumb:

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It will take a few months for me to evaluate how well this forum's search functionality is. I didn't like vBulletin's search, that was the only major complaint. I'd end up using a search engine to search through Sports SportsHoopla posts.

This seems like it could be a lot better on XenForo, we will see. :thumb:

The very best way to search is here: https://www.google.com/search?q=site:sportshoopla.com

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah, that's what I would end up doing.

It would just be nice if forum software provided a good search functionality.

I've seen one on another non-commercial forum software. That one allows me to set dates with both "until that date" and "after that date" parameters. Exact quotes, or contains at least one of the following of words. It allows me to easily search through old posts, and re-read what I was looking for.

And it displays search results in a nice format.

The functionality these forums provide, with embedding, and notifications is nice. It's a good part of the evolution of forum software, over the years. It's now a "must-have" IMO. Glad it's still available.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still think this is the best forum with the YouTube and ease of posting links, etc.

What do you find easier about embedding now? I thought it was easy before. You even said before how this was the best forum with how easy it was to embed.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I did like that I could press YouTube button and paste the numbers in between the brackets. Now, the "Advanced Settings" are on the first page instead of having to "Go to Advanced Settings."

This one, you just click the video button next to the insert button and paste the whole thing in. Haven't tried just pasting in the text spot. Didn't like that format on the old board, though it was easier.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I did like that I could press YouTube button and paste the numbers in between the brackets. Now, the "Advanced Settings" are on the first page instead of having to "Go to Advanced Settings."

This one, you just click the video button next to the insert button and paste the whole thing in. Haven't tried just pasting in the text spot. Didn't like that format on the old board, though it was easier.

Thanks.

That is easier on this forum.

However, that was also available on vBulletin boards in general, maybe starting with a certain version (version 4+). It's just that Sports SportsHoopla was using an old version (3 point something). Or they had the feature disabled.

Same thing with autosaving of a post. It was available on a released version of vBulletin. It's just that Sports SportsHoopla was either using an older version, or they had that feature disabled. I'd seen it on other vBulletin forums.

So I can't give full credit to XenForo for having these features, which vBulletin already offered in public releases.

I am glad though that we have some things to make things easier. That does get some credit.