• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

New Eklund rumor(s)

dannyb24195

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
According to sources, there has been some talk about the Leafs looking at Ryan Malone out of Tampa. A trade in the division with Tampa (and yes that still feels weird to say) would on the surface look unlikely, but there are whispers Malone wants out of Tampa and Tampa does like some of the defenders the Leafs are holding onto. Another name that keeps coming up with Tampa is Tuomo Ruutu. I like that fit a lot.

Personally I like Eklund even though his sources can be false but I don't get this rumor? Perhaps Malone wants out because he is playing 4th line minutes. He's a guy who wants to play top 6 but with the chemistry with the lines we have currently it's kinda got him loosed in the shuffle and playing 4th line minutes. I imagine Yzerman does like a couple of the leafs blueline more so guys like Gunnarsson and Franson who he was interested in the summer but I don't think either one of them are going to be swapped straight up for Malone. I imagine Malone only would net you somebody like Paul Ranger or Mark Fraser but I don't like that deal from our perspective, I don't think it achieves much. You just adding another #6/7 defenseman to the team and you already have the likes of Sustr, Barberio and Cote. I'd rather keep Malone. Even if a deal made sense the trade would put the leafs over the cap and the bolts would have to retain some salary to make the deal happen and I very much doubt that would happen.

Then the rumor on Ruutu, $4,750,000 and his contract runs out after the 15-16 season. I'm sorry but how does that $4,750,000 cap hit fit in this year? I read nothing into this rumor either. If Yzerman makes a move I think it will bolster the blueline if anything despite the options being lacklustre regarding the trade market.

Todd1a

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
According to sources, there has been some talk about the Leafs looking at Ryan Malone out of Tampa. A trade in the division with Tampa (and yes that still feels weird to say) would on the surface look unlikely, but there are whispers Malone wants out of Tampa and Tampa does like some of the defenders the Leafs are holding onto. Another name that keeps coming up with Tampa is Tuomo Ruutu. I like that fit a lot.

Personally I like Eklund even though his sources can be false but I don't get this rumor? Perhaps Malone wants out because he is playing 4th line minutes. He's a guy who wants to play top 6 but with the chemistry with the lines we have currently it's kinda got him loosed in the shuffle and playing 4th line minutes. I imagine Yzerman does like a couple of the leafs blueline more so guys like Gunnarsson and Franson who he was interested in the summer but I don't think either one of them are going to be swapped straight up for Malone. I imagine Malone only would net you somebody like Paul Ranger or Mark Fraser but I don't like that deal from our perspective, I don't think it achieves much. You just adding another #6/7 defenseman to the team and you already have the likes of Sustr, Barberio and Cote. I'd rather keep Malone. Even if a deal made sense the trade would put the leafs over the cap and the bolts would have to retain some salary to make the deal happen and I very much doubt that would happen.

Then the rumor on Ruutu, $4,750,000 and his contract runs out after the 15-16 season. I'm sorry but how does that $4,750,000 cap hit fit in this year? I read nothing into this rumor either. If Yzerman makes a move I think it will bolster the blueline if anything despite the options being lacklustre regarding the trade market.
I don't really see anything big happening at the trade deadline with the lightning. Getting Ruutu no way that is happening we have no need for a forward at all. I'm thinking they will keep malone and then deal him for a 4th or 5th round draft pick this summer. Malone is a guy that has played in the playoffs and is a power forward we could use in the playoffs. Leafs would want malone and a high draft pick for franson which yzerman does not deal high draft picks or prospects. You know what are big move will be getting stamkos back at the trade deadline or before that will be about it. A guy I would have interest in is Nazem Kadri I would trade malone, panik and brown for him. Val can play the wing or kadri can! and we lack center depth. Brown panik and malone need to be moved out for drouin coming next year we also have connolly in the minors that needs a spot next year.

dannyb24195

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't really see anything big happening at the trade deadline with the lightning. Getting Ruutu no way that is happening we have no need for a forward at all. I'm thinking they will keep malone and then deal him for a 4th or 5th round draft pick this summer. Malone is a guy that has played in the playoffs and is a power forward we could use in the playoffs. Leafs would want malone and a high draft pick for franson which yzerman does not deal high draft picks or prospects. You know what are big move will be getting stamkos back at the trade deadline or before that will be about it. A guy I would have interest in is Nazem Kadri I would trade malone, panik and brown for him. Val can play the wing or kadri can! and we lack center depth. Brown panik and malone need to be moved out for drouin coming next year we also have connolly in the minors that needs a spot next year.

I doubt the leafs would take Brown, Panik and Malone for Kadri. Personally i'm not a huge fan of Kadri plus i'd keep your young assets unless it's a move to improve your blueline. I think our forwards group will look like this next year:

Killorn-Stamkos-Marty
Drouin-Val-Kucherov
Palat-Johnson-Connolly
Brown-Thompson-Crombeen

I think Malone will be bought out in the summer so that opens a spot for Drouin. I think will also move Purcell as well. The cap is going up but Yzerman has to take care of Bish and these youngsters.

Todd1a

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I doubt the leafs would take Brown, Panik and Malone for Kadri. Personally i'm not a huge fan of Kadri plus i'd keep your young assets unless it's a move to improve your blueline. I think our forwards group will look like this next year:

Killorn-Stamkos-Marty
Drouin-Val-Kucherov
Palat-Johnson-Connolly
Brown-Thompson-Crombeen

I think Malone will be bought out in the summer so that opens a spot for Drouin. I think will also move Purcell as well. The cap is going up but Yzerman has to take care of Bish and these youngsters.
I doubt purcell gets moved thats hard contract to move! still two years left on it. Agree I think they buyout malone this summer for sure. I think connolly will get traded thats the odd man out I see.

dannyb24195

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I doubt purcell gets moved thats hard contract to move! still two years left on it. Agree I think they buyout malone this summer for sure. I think connolly will get traded thats the odd man out I see.

To be fair I don't think Purcell has a bad contract. He's slightly overpaid i'd say but he's a top 6 winger that can get 20 Goals and 30 - 40 Assists. I think if we put him out there in the offseason there would be interest but in saying that it's tough to think of trading him because your team becomes really young upfront , I mean Teddy is a vet if you look out our forward group. I'm not fond of trading Connolly because he's skilled, he and Kucherov are going to be a stellar 1-2 punch on that RW. I've been frustrated with Connolly's slow progress but the day we drafted him they said he was going to be a work in progress. I mean he's still only 21 and he's shown glimpses of how good he can be he just needs to become more consistent. I do think Yzerman will be forced to make a tough decision in the summer, either move Purcell and promote Connolly or keep Purcell and leave Connolly in the minors despite being NHL ready and leaving him in the minors it's somert that he won't be happy with.

Bolt Fore

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes Connolly will not be happy in Syracuse again next year especially since he spent an entire year with the Lightning in 2011-2012. I think he will ask for a trade if he can't make the big club.

Todd1a

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Out of Malone, Purcell and Connolly. 2 out of these 3 are going to be moved out because you have to think drouin and kucherov are too good not to be in the nhl. I'd move Connolly and Malone we need a vet like Purcell we would be way to young in are top 6.