• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NBA finals predictions

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As things stand right now... the Celtics got a big ? when it comes to depth... the Boston bench is young and the lack of experience is absolutely jarring...

... might it all work out?... sure. But there is also very real potential that it could undermine this season.

Of course, Ainge has those trade exceptions in his back pocket... so any bench problem could potentially get solved midseason at the trade deadline...

i think due to the hard cap that trade exception is being used next year.

but turning some of these young kids into one more solid vet wouldn’t be the worst thing.

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To put a point on the problem with Kyrie... it isn't just that he's a mercurial kook who says and does some crazy stuff off the court.

If that were it... it'd be far less of a problem.

The main thing is that Kyrie inevitably tends to play me-first basketball that undermines the team concept. Kyrie also had great role players around him in Boston... but especially when it counted most he reverted back to hero ball, which caused resentments to mount on the team... (especially because Kyrie tends to not take responsibility but rather to throw those around him under the bus).

Doesn't matter how much talent he has around him if Kyrie isn't gonna utilize it properly.

If and when things get tough in Brooklyn... is Kyrie gonna revert back to his old tendencies? And if and when that happens, are his teammates gonna take it quietly? Those are the questions.

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i think due to the hard cap that trade exception is being used next year.

but turning some of these young kids into one more solid vet wouldn’t be the worst thing.
Perhaps...

... they could still use it this season though, just probably not the full value of it... (IOW: they probably won't go after a 30 million per contract, but they could very realistically go after a contract in the 10-18 million per year range).

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, he's generally done a pretty good job of just keeping out of drama and playing his game. But him getting into a bit of a public spat with Dray, something that I don't remember him doing with Westbrook, makes me think maybe he's reaching a point where he's not going to just stay quiet anymore.

It still may not effect his play on the court, but it could effect the play of those around him.

To me, it would be similar to what we apparently just saw with the Clippers. The Clippers role players were willing to accept the star treatment that Kawhi and PG got as long as they performed on the court. Kawhi, for the most part, did perform. But PG didn't and Kawhi couldn't overcome the overall effect it had on the team.

Possibly.

And you said it.

How are the guys like LeVert and Dinwiddie, who are budding stars in their own right going to react when KD and Kyrie take a lot of their touches AND blame them when things don’t go as planned.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Possibly.

And you said it.

How are the guys like LeVert and Dinwiddie, who are budding stars in their own right going to react when KD and Kyrie take a lot of their touches AND blame them when things don’t go as planned.

Then you trade them to Houston. Dinwiddie is the one who recruited Kyrie so he really should stay quiet

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then you trade them to Houston. Dinwiddie is the one who recruited Kyrie so he really should stay quiet

a Beal trade is still more likely than a harden deal

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To put a point on the problem with Kyrie... it isn't just that he's a mercurial kook who says and does some crazy stuff off the court.

If that were it... it'd be far less of a problem.

The main thing is that Kyrie inevitably tends to play me-first basketball that undermines the team concept. Kyrie also had great role players around him in Boston... but especially when it counted most he reverted back to hero ball, which caused resentments to mount on the team... (especially because Kyrie tends to not take responsibility but rather to throw those around him under the bus).

Doesn't matter how much talent he has around him if Kyrie isn't gonna utilize it properly.

If and when things get tough in Brooklyn... is Kyrie gonna revert back to his old tendencies? And if and when that happens, are his teammates gonna take it quietly? Those are the questions.

Kyrie liked Cleveland then didn't.

Kyrie liked Boston then didn't.

And it'll only be a matter of time before he has an issue with Brooklyn.

You know who I feel sorry for? Steve Nash. He has no idea what he's gotten himself into.

Last edited:

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,846.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^^^This^^^

KD is a sensitive dude and gets in his feels way too much. But he generally doesn't allow it to effect his on court play. He's been teammates with guys who can be a bit off/hardheaded in Westbrook and Dray.

But he's never had to deal with Kyrie's kind of crazy.
Yep. LeBron could because he's a much stronger person emotionally and an Alpha.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 15,846.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Possibly.

And you said it.

Yep.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 15,846.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kyrie liked Cleveland then didn't.

Kyrie liked Boston than didn't.

And it'll only be a matter of time before he has an issue with Brooklyn.

You know who I feel sorry for? Steve Nash. He has no idea what he's gotten himself into.
A bizarre hire IMO.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 15,846.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For Harden? That's the ultimate nightmare scenario.

Harden and KD could work not KD, Harden and IRving. All 3 need the ball too much.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A bizarre hire IMO.

No dount about that. Hiring someone with zero coaching experience to deal with KD & Kyrie seems like a disaster wating to happen.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For Harden? That's the ultimate nightmare scenario.

Harden and KD could work not KD, Harden and IRving. All 3 need the ball too much.

I still don't believe the Harden to Brooklyn talk. There simply aren't enough shots in a game for those three to be teammates.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still don't believe the Harden to Brooklyn talk. There simply aren't enough shots in a game for those three to be teammates.

It isn’t even the shots as much as it is the touches.

KD is the only one of the 3 who plays well off the ball and Harden is absolutely terrible at it. Even then, KD going to want his share of ISO touches because he might be the best scorer in the world.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No dount about that. Hiring someone with zero coaching experience to deal with KD & Kyrie seems like a disaster wating to happen.

The Nets at least have brought on Mike D'Antoni and I think more importantly Ime Udoka from the Spurs. They'll have plenty of bench experience to help Nash navigate this. Nash also was a great player in his own right so I think being able to relate to stars has it's own value as well.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It isn’t even the shots as much as it is the touches.

KD is the only one of the 3 who plays well off the ball and Harden is absolutely terrible at it. Even then, KD going to want his share of ISO touches because he might be the best scorer in the world.

The KD/Kyrie trainwreck is funny by itself. Add Harden to the mix and all I see is a season of dysfunction.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Harden, KD and Kyrie don't NEED the ball. They just want the ball especially Harden and Kyrie . Those 3 together could absolutely work but only if Harden and Irving cared about winning a title more than getting their numbers.

I'll take Lakers over Bucks in 5

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Nets at least have brought on Mike D'Antoni and I think more importantly Ime Udoka from the Spurs. They'll have plenty of bench experience to help Nash navigate this. Nash also was a great player in his own right so I think being able to relate to stars has it's own value as well.

I wouldn't be surprised if Mike 'no defense' D'Antoni replaces Nash half way through the season if things get off to a bad start.

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Harden, KD and Kyrie don't NEED the ball.
Nah... Harden and Kyrie NEED the ball.

Those guys are who they are at this point. It'd be blind wishing to expect those leopards to change their spots.

Last edited:

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nah... KD and Kyrie NEED the ball.

Those guys are who they are at this point. It'd be blind wishing to expect those leopards to change their spots.

Yeah KD eventually reverted back to needing the ball in GS. It's so weird because he looked so happy and he played so well in 2017. He even told Steph "go be you" and told him we would be fine getting the ball less. Then in 2018 he came into camp and started complaining about his touches.

I think KD is a guy who just doesn't know what he wants until it's in front of him.