• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NBA draft mistakes 3.0: The Cleveland Cavaliers in 2013

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,071.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The pick:

#1 Anthony Bennett.

Was a huge bust and was out of the League in 4 seasons.

The miss:

#15 Giannis Antetokounmpo.

Giannis is a freak and would have been a much better pick, even if it was a reach at the time.

Last edited:

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What about the other 13? Giannis waan’t projected high

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What about the other 13? Giannis waan’t projected high

yeah, no one besides good ole Q had giannis rated in the top 10.

my draft board for Boston that night was Greek freak, stifle tower Schroeder, Nogeira and dieng

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The pick:

#1 Anthony Bennett.

Was a huge bust and was out of the League in 4 seasons.

The miss:

#15 Giannis Antetokounmpo.

Giannis is a freak and would have been a much better pick, even if it was a reach at the time.
are you SURE Giannis would have been the better pick? like 100% sure?

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah, no one besides good ole Q had giannis rated in the top 10.

my draft board for Boston that night was Greek freak, stifle tower Schroeder, Nogeira and dieng
i thought it was criminal that Gobert dropped so low

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Waiters was another really bad pick.

The Cavs never even met with him pre-draft.

to be fair i did want MKG in that draft really badly.

top 3 were consensus DAvis, MKG and Beale- in that specific order.

Cavs didnt go for Lillard since they already had Kyrie. I think they caught a lesson from that draft when they took Garland even though they had Sexton.

Drummond fell in that draft even though he was near the top of the draft board during the college season.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Waiters was another really bad pick.

The Cavs never even met with him pre-draft.

to be fair i did want MKG in that draft really badly.

top 3 were consensus DAvis, MKG and Beale- in that specific order.

Cavs didnt go for Lillard since they already had Kyrie. I think they caught a lesson from that draft when they took Garland even though they had Sexton.

Drummond fell in that draft even though he was near the top of the draft board during the college season.

that was 2012.

I recall Drummond was the best one on one post defender in the draft according to Spirts synergy.

YourFriendGannon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember making a flippant remark in late 2012 or early 2013 that Oklahoma City (who I followed closely at the time) should draft Anthony Bennett (with their pick near the end of the lotto). I hadn't even watched him, just thought he seemed like a very versatile prospect. After not paying much attention in the months leading up to the draft, imagine my surprise.

• Haha
Reactions: DJ

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember all the jokes about Giannis in this draft, all the information anyone had was grainy far away footage of a skinny kid dunking on 6'0" nobodies.

I won't say nobody saw him coming, but most people had been pretty skeptical. As is apparently my custom in these threads, let's see how I can make it about the Wolves.

For giggles, the Cavs spend the #1 on Giannis. Does he help the Cavs win more then Bennet year 1? no, he did not become what he is for a few years after. So the following year they take Wiggins. Does Giannis 6.8 points, 4 rebounds, 1.6 assists make it so he is not tossed into the Kevin Love trade like Bennett??? Hell no. Wolves get Giannis and Wiggins for Kevin Love.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,071.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember all the jokes about Giannis in this draft, all the information anyone had was grainy far away footage of a skinny kid dunking on 6'0" nobodies.

I won't say nobody saw him coming, but most people had been pretty skeptical. As is apparently my custom in these threads, let's see how I can make it about the Wolves.

For giggles, the Cavs spend the #1 on Giannis. Does he help the Cavs win more then Bennet year 1? no, he did not become what he is for a few years after. So the following year they take Wiggins. Does Giannis 6.8 points, 4 rebounds, 1.6 assists make it so he is not tossed into the Kevin Love trade like Bennett??? Hell no. Wolves get Giannis and Wiggins for Kevin Love.
They could have drafted him at #14. Instead of Muhammad.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,071.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh I am aware, but I standby drafting a 32 year old Shabazz Muhammed in that spot
LOL at 32yo....

He is balling in the CBA. Surprised he isn't a bench player in the League. He's still just 28 and could score off the bench for some team.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL at 32yo....

He is balling in the CBA. Surprised he isn't a bench player in the League. He's still just 28 and could score off the bench for some team.

I know, I was just making light of it coming out before the draft his family had lied about his age, he was really only 1 year older than listed.

If he could have kept shooting like he did his sophomore campaign he would have stuck for a long time, made a lot of money to.

Reactions: DJ

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,071.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know, I was just making light of it coming out before the draft his family had lied about his age, he was really only 1 year older than listed.

If he could have kept shooting like he did his sophomore campaign he would have stuck for a long time, made a lot of money to.
He's still worth 8 fucking million, not crying for him.....LOL.

And he's probably earning good cash in China.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They could have drafted him at #14. Instead of Muhammad.
Mavericks, Thunder, 76ers, Trailblazers, Wolves, Pistons, Kings, Hornets, Suns, Bobcats, Wizards, Magic all could have drafted him. So the title should say, “14 teams that made draft mistakes”

You need to have guidelines:

The star player not taken has to be pre-draft highly ranked and within a couple spots of the team that made the draft mistake.
The player drafted by the said team had to be a big bust like Bennett or if picked at 1 at failure.
Players with injuries should not count.
Also, that year it has to be a need for the team. If the team say already had a capable PG and they didn’t draft for example Damian Lillard, it should not count.

Not picking a guy like Giannis at #15 when he wasn’t highly ranked pre-draft and considering it took 3-4 years for him to develop this shouldn’t meet the guidelines.

Here is a classic: Pistons draft Darko Milcic at #2 in the 2003 NBA draft while Melo, Bosh and Wade are still on the board going 3, 4 and 5.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,071.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mavericks, Thunder, 76ers, Trailblazers, Wolves, Pistons, Kings, Hornets, Suns, Bobcats, Wizards, Magic all could have drafted him. So the title should say, “14 teams that made draft mistakes”

You need to have guidelines:

The star player not taken has to be pre-draft highly ranked and within a couple spots of the team that made the draft mistake.
The player drafted by the said team had to be a big bust like Bennett or if picked at 1 at failure.
Players with injuries should not count.
Also, that year it has to be a need for the team. If the team say already had a capable PG and they didn’t draft for example Damian Lillard, it should not count.

Not picking a guy like Giannis at #15 when he wasn’t highly ranked pre-draft and considering it took 3-4 years for him to develop this shouldn’t meet the guidelines.

Here is a classic: Pistons draft Darko Milcic at #2 in the 2003 NBA draft while Melo, Bosh and Wade are still on the board going 3, 4 and 5.
true, I was just looking at the star.