• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NBA Championship: 1987 Lakers vs. 2013 Heat

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who wins? 2-3-2 format starting with two at The Forum.

Opinions?

I say it never makes it back to Inglewood and the devastating Showtime fastbreak proves the '87 Lakers were the greatest basketball team to ever lace 'em up. :2cents:

The scene after Game 4 in South Beach as Dr. Buss hoists another Larry O'Brien trophy.

52833970_10.jpg

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you mean '12 Heat?? Bc Spurs are up 1-0 so maybe we should compare Spurs vs Lake.

piss-tons

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Lakers and it isn't even close, although it isn't fair to compare the two teams since there were less teams in the league when the Lakers won that ship. Some people forget this and think teams like the Lakers or Celtics were the only stacked teams in the league, but those Pistons and 76ers teams of that decade were stacked too. Doesn't diminish their ships, but you can't really compare teams from different eras when there are a different amount of teams in the different eras.

shitsho

Work Hard Play Hard
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd have to say the Lakers no matter the format. More balanced team and Kareem would be pretty much unstoppable on offense. The more I think about it Lebron and Wade would both have to average 40 just to keep it close.

Lakers+USC=#1

Fuck CBS
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sidenote: I wish Jerry Buss got an abortion with his girl was pregnant with Jim Buss.

BOTSLAYER

You can be anything
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
salary cap might also be something we should bring up?

BOTSLAYER

You can be anything
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The more I think about it Lebron and Wade would both have to average 40 just to keep it close.

on 80% shooting

unless the rules change from the current luxury tax rules the Heat are the last super team and the league did every thing it could to stop this one. TBH they will probably be together for the 3 years. You can not compare teams from the luxury tax era to prior teams based on who would win straight up.

The only kind of straight up way to compare them is to compare their dominance over the league. Heat went to 3 in a row, won 1. That makes the comparisons closer but not even in the same ball park with the Lakers winning 3 of 4.

You really can't even compare their rosters because 2 of those players are GOAT at their position. You may be able to argue that of some day we had 1.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
on 80% shooting

unless the rules change from the current luxury tax rules the Heat are the last super team and the league did every thing it could to stop this one. TBH they will probably be together for the 3 years. You can not compare teams from the luxury tax era to prior teams based on who would win straight up.

The only kind of straight up way to compare them is to compare their dominance over the league. Heat went to 3 in a row, won 1. That makes the comparisons closer but not even in the same ball park with the Lakers winning 3 of 4.

You really can't even compare their rosters because 2 of those players are GOAT at their position. You may be able to argue that of some day we had 1.

However, Kareem was not the best big man in the NBA in 1987. He was near the end. He was still a very productive player, but not a dominant force. Not saying the Heat would win, but I guarantee that 20 years from now if anyone is talking about this year's Heat squad, they will not remember D Wade as the one-legged liability he is today, but as the fearless attacking force he can be when healthy. That is why these comparisons are so dangerous.

BOTSLAYER

You can be anything
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
those are awesome and reassuring points...now if the heat can just get a W

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This Heat team has looked like shit for the vast majority of the playoffs. Even at their best it more then likely wouldn"t have been near enough to beat that Laker team more then maybe once or twice IMO.

As far as the abortion comment, watch how quickly you just potentially turned what should be a few page thread (because there is no sane argument to argue with the OP) into maybe 25 pages of bullshit because you didn't consider the feelings of the pro lifers here:clap:

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This Heat team has looked like shit for the vast majority of the playoffs. Even at their best it more then likely wouldn"t have been near enough to beat that Laker team more then maybe once or twice IMO.

The Heat have looked like crap because Wade looks like crap. This team is far from full strength and they are in the finals anyway. Maybe that is because the East sucks, maybe it is because the Heat are that good. Hard to say.

I will say this, however. Since D. Wade is playing more like slow-motion Lance Stephenson than he is himself, what would it say about Lebron if the Heat were somehow able to beat the Spurs?

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Heat have looked like crap because Wade looks like crap. This team is far from full strength and they are in the finals anyway. Maybe that is because the East sucks, maybe it is because the Heat are that good. Hard to say.

I will say this, however. Since D. Wade is playing more like slow-motion Lance Stephenson than he is himself, what would it say about Lebron if the Heat were somehow able to beat the Spurs?

I agree 100% with your points, but I was answering the original question posed.

Wade cant help being injured, but he can play a much smarter game. I love Wade, but at the same time annually find myself questioning his game and mindset.

He is a warrior with a high basketball IQ, so he'll figure it out.

As far as James. We all know how talented he is. We though, also includes the Spurs and their coaches.
They will continue to pack the paint and double/ triple James until our 3 point shooters start making a consistent difference. IMO, winning or losing the series will come down to that.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, 87 Lakers take out the Heat in 5!! As others have said, they were just far too balanced. That team could beat you with their fast break or beat you inside with Kareem, Worthy and Magic as well.

The Heat would get 1 win because Lebron and D-Wade are great players who would find a way to get one (possibly 2), but that '87 Lakers team was one of the all-time best ever teams!!

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Lakers and it isn't even close, although it isn't fair to compare the two teams since there were less teams in the league when the Lakers won that ship. Some people forget this and think teams like the Lakers or Celtics were the only stacked teams in the league, but those Pistons and 76ers teams of that decade were stacked too. Doesn't diminish their ships, but you can't really compare teams from different eras when there are a different amount of teams in the different eras.

So because the Charlotte Hornets and Vancouver Grizzlies didn't exist back then it's not fair to compare them? Using that logic, the lack of the Seattle Supersonics and Kansas City Kings gives the Heat an advantage? :noidea:

I don't know why you guys are trying to make this more complicated than it has to be. It's 1987 at the Forum in Inglewood, California and Jack's Caddy limo just pulled up and Dyan Canon is still young and breathtaking. Magic is coming down the tunnel with 11 others behind him and we're about to get it on. And right on time, here come the 2013 Heat for warmups and then the introductions.

"Now ladies and gentlemen, the starting lineup for your Los Angeles Lakers"

"In his ninth season out of Michigan State, 6' 9" point guard Eaaaaaaaarvin "Magic" Johnson!"

Someone said the Lakers in five. If you had your house on the line in a bet, you know you wouldn't bet on anything but a quick and painless Lakers sweep. Lebron's best shot attempts would be from 24' and 1.5 seconds after his shot attempt, Kareem would hit Magic at halfcourt with Big Game and Coop running the wing as one or two defenders are beckpeddling and moaning "Oh, fuck. I didn't sign up for this."

Lakers sweep. Guaranteed. Just like our 1988 Championship!

piss-tons

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Basically it is like this: More teams, less concentrated talent on the teams. Less team, talent is more concentrated. The Heat would get swept no doubt about it but teams during then were stacked. The bad boy pistons, Celtics, and 76ers of the 80s would also take out the Heat in 4 or 5 games. Hell the twin tower Rockets of the 80s would sweep the Heat.

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Basically it is like this: More teams, less concentrated talent on the teams. Less team, talent is more concentrated. The Heat would get swept no doubt about it but teams during then were stacked. The bad boy pistons, Celtics, and 76ers of the 80s would also take out the Heat in 4 or 5 games. Hell the twin tower Rockets of the 80s would sweep the Heat.

The only one I'm not positive about is the 76ers. I think it'd go to 7 but they'd win.

The '86 Celtics, '92 Bad Boyz and '95 Rockets would all sweep the Heat too.

shitsho

Work Hard Play Hard
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have to back track on my position a bit. I do think the Lakers would ultimately win but it would be closer than I originally thought. I was looking at it as a best case scenario for the Lakers and the currently unimpressive performance by the Heat. The Lakers team was a great one but they did have some dud games as well. I think with both teams doing what they do at their best its pretty close.