• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Nagy

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think this article makes some great points.

We all have discussed his playcalling, momentum killing, and time management, but the following isn't mentioned enough.

He pulled this shit with Mizzell, and we all hated it. Miller seemingly is always in the dog house with this guy. I won't claim to know the reasonings behind this, nor will I claim to know better than Nagy, but it does seem that often, talent is left on the sideline.

And how bad are those clips of Coward!? Holy shit. :L

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Excellent link. We can pretty much derive from this article that perhaps Nagy's biggest issue is his stubborn loyalty or lack thereof, depending on the player, to the point of negative returns. Of course there are other negatives to his coaching (and to be fair, positives as well). I remember getting some flak earlier in the season when I suggested that Miller might be relegated to the #3 position in the WR hierarchy if he did not straighten up his act. Don't think I'd be getting all that much flak today.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont agree with this article entirely. A lot of those personnel calls are explainable. Bars looked awful and so did Coward, he was pretty much choosing between two turds. Harris over Kmet is explainable since Harris is a very good blocker and that’s his role. More playing time because of his blocking skills will probably lead to more targets. He’s also a vet and Kmet is a rookie. I don’t remember much about Mizzell to be completely honest. Who was he taking time away from? I thought he got PT because of injuries, but I could be wrong on that.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont agree with this article entirely. A lot of those personnel calls are explainable. Bars looked awful and so did Coward, he was pretty much choosing between two turds. Harris over Kmet is explainable since Harris is a very good blocker and that’s his role. More playing time because of his blocking skills will probably lead to more targets. He’s also a vet and Kmet is a rookie. I don’t remember much about Mizzell to be completely honest. Who was he taking time away from? I thought he got PT because of injuries, but I could be wrong on that.
Same here with the faded memory, but I don't recall any injuries involved, Nagy just seemed to like inserting Mizzell on an X number of plays, the vast majority of which led to squat. I distinctly recall asking pretty much after every game in which Mizzell appeared why he was being used and why was even on the team. That much I remember.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember losing my shit over Mizzell getting so many useless touches.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kmet is a great blocker as well, and a MUCH better receiver. Vastly more talented.

I think the article is spot-on regarding those two. Cole should be on the field more than Harris.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kmet is a great blocker as well, and a MUCH better receiver. Vastly more talented.

I think the article is spot-on regarding those two. Cole should be on the field more than Harris.
Agreed. And I think we will start to see more of him soon.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Kmet's reputation coming out was that he needed to work on his blocking a lot before he saw the field consistently. Unless you have seen something change regarding that aspect of his play?

Graham is obviously our main pass catching TE. Harris's role is entirely separate from Kmet. I don't think the two are even competing for reps, to be honest. I think Kmet has a few packages for certain situations and that's probably how it is best left for the time being. Rookie TE's don't tend to see the field much. It's a position that takes time.

Maybe as we get further into the 2nd half of the year - then he will get more reps.

BeaReylo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I posted this in The Bucs thread and it really made me soften my stance on Nagy's play calling:

I'm not saying he never makes bone headed calls or doesn't need to improve. The biggest things he needs to realize is he doesn't have the same personnel he had in Kansas City. And he doesn't have Andy Reid alongside him.

It could be he needs the right quarterback to make his offense drive like he envisions and then it would translate on the field...but you could say that of all coaches?

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kmet's reputation coming out was that he needed to work on his blocking a lot before he saw the field consistently. Unless you have seen something change regarding that aspect of his play?

Graham is obviously our main pass catching TE. Harris's role is entirely separate from Kmet. I don't think the two are even competing for reps, to be honest. I think Kmet has a few packages for certain situations and that's probably how it is best left for the time being. Rookie TE's don't tend to see the field much. It's a position that takes time.

Maybe as we get further into the 2nd half of the year - then he will get more reps.
Well, for one, we've used Kmet many times as a blocker this season, and he has been successful. The fact that you apparently aren't aware of this actually speaks to his success. In the same vein as no news is good news, like say, with an o-lineman.

Harris had minimum two easy drops last week. If memory serves there were two 3rd down drops. Any time he is targeted as a receiver, that is competition with Kmet, and there is no comparison as a receiver.

I'm not saying there isn't room for improvement, but if Harris is in there releasing for routes, I'd rather have Kmet.

Payton

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, for one, we've used Kmet many times as a blocker this season, and he has been successful. The fact that you apparently aren't aware of this actually speaks to his success. In the same vein as no news is good news, like say, with an o-lineman.

Harris had minimum two easy drops last week. If memory serves there were two 3rd down drops. Any time he is targeted as a receiver, that is competition with Kmet, and there is no comparison as a receiver.

I'm not saying there isn't room for improvement, but if Harris is in there releasing for routes, I'd rather have Kmet.
Harris had been a TE I’ve kept an eye on for a few years now because he is such a physical specimen... I think he’s another one of those, “Was more of a basketball player, but it didn’t pan out... Try football!”.

Hasn’t quite worked out like it did with Gates and Graham...

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Speaking of, you guys see Adam Shaheen has 2 TDs in the last 2 games, and a 46 yarder?

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Speaking of, you guys see Adam Shaheen has 2 TDs in the last 2 games, and a 46 yarder?

Yeah...He's doing some things with the Dolphins but we'll see if it becomes a trend...Possible he falls off a cliff with a rookie coming in over Fitz. My hunch would be that clueless ass Mitch buried us for getting some honest skill position player evaluation over the past couple years, so maybe it's possible he's more than we saw out of him.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Second week in a row that he made some key catches. Yet for whatever reasons, the kid failed to do jack squat for us. I'll hold off for now on saying perhaps we prematurely gave up on him, as I want to see this guy play a full season first without going on the IR.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I mean, our run blocking has been rather horrendous. There's so many blown assignments, it's hard to track. I'm aware that he HAS blocked. Of course, all TE's will have to block. Regardless of their true role. All skill players have to block. However, I have certainly never noticed him opening up a hole either. I watch the line as much as you can on TV during live plays and replays. I don't know what he's done to shed his reputation for being subpar as a prospect in that area. Clearly, nothing in practice either.

What has he even done to prove he's so competent as a receiver yet? Catch one touchdown?

I just think it's pretty obvious that he's still developing all around. He made one impressive play because he's a good athlete. It doesn't mean he's ready for big role. No need to rush. Harris and Kmet play two different positions. Kmet is not competing for reps in place of our dominant blocking TE, IMO. I mean, you can start getting creative with packages to squeeze him on the field as much as possible. I just don't think we are to that point in his development, though.

There's nothing wrong with how we're bringing along Kmet. Don't blow it all up over one play.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think anyone here is demanding that Kmet now be made the primary TE. But after proving himself on two targets for completions, including one in the endzone where he was double teamed and even a 3rd defender got into the picture frame, I think it's fair to say that he should not have disappeared for the rest of the game.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean, our run blocking has been rather horrendous. There's so many blown assignments, it's hard to track. I'm aware that he HAS blocked. Of course, all TE's will have to block. Regardless of their true role. All skill players have to block. However, I have certainly never noticed him opening up a hole either. I watch the line as much as you can on TV during live plays and replays. I don't know what he's done to shed his reputation for being subpar as a prospect in that area. Clearly, nothing in practice either.

What has he even done to prove he's so competent as a receiver yet? Catch one touchdown?

I just think it's pretty obvious that he's still developing all around. He made one impressive play because he's a good athlete. It doesn't mean he's ready for big role. No need to rush. Harris and Kmet play two different positions. Kmet is not competing for reps in place of our dominant blocking TE, IMO. I mean, you can start getting creative with packages to squeeze him on the field as much as possible. I just don't think we are to that point in his development, though.

There's nothing wrong with how we're bringing along Kmet. Don't blow it all up over one play.
That's all fine and dandy, except we are 28th in offense and in dire need of playmakers. Why not try to get the top TE in the draft on the field more?

You use our poor run game as an arguing point against Cole, but then in the next sentence, you call Harris a "dominant blocking TE"?

Jimmy Graham is a vet. Give him some breaks between the 30's and get Cole involved.

And tho they play "different positions" Harris has still been targeted 11 times. 5 rec, for 30 yards, with 2 drops.

Kmet has been targeted a whopping 5 times. 3 catches, for 32 yds and a TD. 0 drops.

As I said before, blocking is fine and all, but they are obviously using him as a receiver too. I'd rather see Cole get game experience blocking, than Harris gets snaps running routes.

BsGenius

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think anyone here is demanding that Kmet now be made the primary TE. But after proving himself on two targets for completions, including one in the endzone where he was double teamed and even a 3rd defender got into the picture frame, I think it's fair to say that he should not have disappeared for the rest of the game.

If Kmet knows his assignment I am demanding he be the primary TE.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Kmet knows his assignment I am demanding he be the primary TE.
Well, part of my point is that at least so far, Graham is showing he still belongs as the #1 TE, in particular, our top receiving TE. But I feel Kmet has earned the right to at least get more targets than Harris. For whatever reasons, to which I have no idea why, Nagy suddenly cut off Kmet after his two nice receptions, which were his only targets. Maybe there's something to this that we don't know, but it sure as hell wasn't obvious.