• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

My next two to make

Cobrabit

Resident Polymath
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,041.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Both kits from Midwest Supplies.

Bourbon Barrel Old Ale: Bourbon Barrel Old Ale : Midwest Supplies

- 6 lb. Amber liquid malt extract
- 3.3 lb. Gold liquid malt extract
- 8 oz. Brown Malt
- 8 oz. Crystal 50-60L
- 8 oz. Wheat
- 4 oz. Aromatic
- 4 oz. Chocolate
- 1 oz. Northern Brewer (60 mins)
- 2 oz. Willamette (30 mins)
- 2 oz. Fuggle (20 mins)
- 2 oz. American Oak Cubes

Will let the oak cubes sit in Makers Mark for a couple weeks while in the primary. Then add the oak cubes to the carboy and rack on top. Let it sit in the secondary for at least 6 months.

I've been wanting to try a "long" fermentation beer for a while and this one sounds pretty good. In the meantime, I'll be getting this one ready to have right away.

Deep Dark Wheat: Deep Dark Wheat : Midwest Supplies

- 6 lb. Wheat liquid malt extract
- 3.3 lb. Dark liquid malt extract
- 8 oz. Carapils
- 8 oz. Caramel 40L specialty grains
- 1 oz. Tettnanger (60 mins)
- 1 oz. Tettnanger (5 mins)

I'm going to add 1 lb of wheat DME that I have sitting around as well. Really like Dunkles, but haven't made one yet.

Also picked up some Super Irish Moss so it looks like I can have some clear beer from now on. Heard it's a good product.

potzer25

The most eubillicant poster.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,909.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really want to make a bourbon ale next...

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Bourbon Ale looks pretty interesting.

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
that bourbon barrel old ale sounds solid! too bad you have to wait so long to find out, lol

ive got some drinking to do before my next brew day, need to figure out what it'll be. i think before my next beer i'm going to do a batch of mead.

Cobrabit

Resident Polymath
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,041.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I decided to go away from Maker's Mark and went with Evan Williams (drop the "s" and you'll have my son's name).

I know some big beers can last and age several years, but has anyone heard of one lasting 21 years? I thought it would be a cool idea to make this beer when he's born and save a 6 pack for his 21st to share. I'll plan to save at least 12 bottles and try one every 2-3 years to see how it ages. If it still is going strong, I'll keep going. If it begins to start turning, I can finish them myself. Just don't want his "first" beer to be skunky.

Any thoughts? Know anyone who's done something like this?

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I decided to go away from Maker's Mark and went with Evan Williams (drop the "s" and you'll have my son's name).

I know some big beers can last and age several years, but has anyone heard of one lasting 21 years? I thought it would be a cool idea to make this beer when he's born and save a 6 pack for his 21st to share. I'll plan to save at least 12 bottles and try one every 2-3 years to see how it ages. If it still is going strong, I'll keep going. If it begins to start turning, I can finish them myself. Just don't want his "first" beer to be skunky.

Any thoughts? Know anyone who's done something like this?

Really cool idea Cobra. Not sure if it would last 21 years and not be at least flat or very mild tasting (losing much of its character and flavor). I would imagine that bottled it would lose its carbonation well before 21 years old. Not sure if you could store it bottled/uncarbonated, then carbonate it in twenty years. Not sure if you could store it in a small barrel, probably at cellar temps (like wine)? Not really sure. You could maybe go to homebrewtalk.com and find an answer. Warty, 757, or someone else in the know may be able to give you a more educated answer.

Glad to see you are already thinking of preparing Evan for a much better taste in beer! He'll be home brewing in his dorm room and the little chickies will be loving it. In his free time away from studies at VT of course :smile:. And if I haven't said this already Congrats!

Cobrabit

Resident Polymath
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,041.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks Sparks.

It is a cool idea, but like you, I doubt it would last more than a few years. I'll probably just make a big beer each year to have ready for his birthday parties the following years. Figure a few other dads might actually want to come to a kids birthday party if there was good beer to try out. Plus, after the party, they could help make the next year's beer.

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not entirely out of the question. Here's a pretty good write up on cellaring beers that might be helpful...the guy in the article has beers that are over 24 years old

Cellaring and Aging Beer - Imbibe Magazine