• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

My Kovalchuk criticism, not about OT/SO

MCDevils

NJ Devils: Sweden West
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Kovy was in a tough spot tonight. He's historically awful at shootouts. If Parise were healthy, he wouldn't have been shooting tonight. In fact I'm not even sure if I would have him shoot over Zajac, who has been decent with limited attempts. This team has had Elias, Parise, Langenbrunner take a huge chunk of its SO attempts over the years, so they're the go to guys.

Here's my issue. First, it's not all Kovy's fault because of that shootout. It's the same people who blame Carolina on Marty two years ago. You want to blame one player for a team losing a 60 minute effort.

Despite all that, I still am very disappointed with Kovy's effort tonight for the three regulation periods. He's in an offensive slump. Bounces aren't coming his way, his teammates aren't gelling well with him, etc, etc. However, hockey, as a sport gives you opportunities to help the team even if you aren't scoring goals.

Ilya is an elite talent, and what we've seen so far this season is almost incomprehensible. We all knew that he wasn't a two way player, but last years Kovalchuk vs this years is ridiculous. Ilya didn't score goals at a torrential pace last year, but he did a substantially better job making teammates around him better after the initial adjustment.

He can't hurt this team with soft play like this. We all grew up as Devils fans, and understand how defense is the cornerstone of any team.

Here's the play that all that ranting is leading to:

Jason Pominville Game Video Highlight Reel - NHL VideoCenter

This is a microcosm of his season. He's just circling around, doesn't cover anyone at all. What the heck is that all about? It might as well be a Sabres PP if he plays like that.

If that doesn't infuriate you as a Devils fan I have no idea what will. Maybe if that goal isn't scored it never even gets to his stick in OT.

That brings me to my final point. Ilya never played for anything important in his entire career. He keeps talking about loving the pressure and playing better. He even made guarantees in the playoffs last year. It's all a joke. What happened tonight in the SO is pure nerves. We haven't seen an Ilya Kovalchuk that can handle pressure once in a Devils jersey.

The assumed plan is to lose Vets like Langenbrunner and Arnott this off season to keep Parise. Those guys are current/former NHL captains. Who's going to lead this team if they leave? Parise can't do it all by himself. Is Kovy going to thrive under the pressure? I don't think so.

If you watch the replays of the SO attempt its really astonishing how the crowd reacts to him. They went nuts when the announcer said his name, and they all hated him 7 seconds later.

He needs to turn this around ASAP. We're almost 1/4 through the season, and he's on pace to score 15 goals, and 41 points, and be a -31.

MCDevils

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
whd7co.jpg

This is depressing:

Marty: "Can't watch."

JJ: "Why me, why now?"

ZPar: "I'd give my entire contract to be on the ice helping them right now."

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
for once marty is at a game though! i remember when he was out 50 games few years back he said he wouldnt go to a game or a practice

MCDevils

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
for once marty is at a game though! i remember when he was out 50 games few years back he said he wouldnt go to a game or a practice

Still dodging the issue I see. I remember the comments Marty made. He essentially was saying that it wasn't about him, and he didn't want to distract the team, or be in the locker room with them.

TiLoBrown

Way too mad about Rep!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Once I saw Kovy's shootout numbers I was hoping we didnt need him :(

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
gotcha so even in those comments its still about him eh? sorry but i dont see how the all time great of ANYTHING not just hockey would be a distraction? thats just me though

MCDevils

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Get out of here. YouTube - Buffalo Sabres vs. New Jersey Devils Shootout 11/10/2010

Are you seriously talking about Elias's effort or heart, or whatever you want to call it? Look at the evidence. You say others are blind. You were the biggest advocate of bringing Ilya in here, and now you'll try and change the subject to anything else to not bringing that up.

Go look at the first clip, that's some of the weakest hockey I've ever seen. My 7 year old cousin playing Mite hockey knows not to do that. The $100M man doesn't? You even make comments about how Kovy isn't paid to play defense, just score. Well that's the most idiotic statement I ever heard. We won't make the playoffs for the next decade with that mindset.

I'll take Elias move over what Kovy did any day of the week.

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
i didnt watch the clip but are you talking about kovalchuk having the puck bounce over his stick?

MCDevils

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Not at all. In fact Kovy never touches the puck in the clip above, but it illustrates everything that's been wrong with his game this year.

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
yeah its the clip of the shootout

MCDevils

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
No, the clip in the original post.

MCDevils

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Here's TG's opinion. He obviously knows more about hockey, than me, if you don't want to take me opinion.

Kovy is lacking confidence. Him missing the net badly on a partial breakaway and not getting a shot off in the shootout have nothing to do with how he’s being utilized.

I’m sorry. The Devils have only so many players. He’s played with almost all of them. They still haven’t found the right players to fit with him (and may never without bringing in guys from the outside) and, for a great player, he has yet to make anyone who has played on his line better.

He plays more minutes than any forward on the team.

Everyone wants to blame the coach. How about the player?

He’s far from the first player to struggle after signing a huge contract.

He’s hurt them at both ends of the ice. If you’re not scoring, you can at least give your full effort on defense and not turn away from the puck—as he did twice on the Dubinsky shorthander last Friday.

He couldn’t be bothered to show up on time for a meeting when the team was struggling to find ways to win games and turn its season around.

Kovalchuk is not the only one not playing up to expecatations (there are plenty), but if the coach gets fired, he will have done more than any of them to contribute to that happening.

Posted by TG on 11/11 at 12:44 PM

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
it doesnt load for me but im sure i know where your going with this....this is what everyone knew they would get with kovalchuk...has his goal scoring been what we expected? nope...so why is that do you think? what has changed from this year to last year?

MCDevils

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
it doesnt load for me but im sure i know where your going with this....this is what everyone knew they would get with kovalchuk...has his goal scoring been what we expected? nope...so why is that do you think? what has changed from this year to last year?

He's not playing for a contract.

MadCaptain

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Kovy needs to spend a weekend watching Niewendyk play for the 2003 team. The scoring will come, he's got the talent. He's also going to be here for the next 15- years so its not gonna help jumping on him.

The main reason this is even an issue is because the ENTIRE TEAM has been playing really bad along with him.

skrillex26

Keep It On Ice
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Kovy needs to spend a weekend watching Niewendyk play for the 2003 team. The scoring will come, he's got the talent. He's also going to be here for the next 15- years so its not gonna help jumping on him.

The main reason this is even an issue is because the ENTIRE TEAM has been playing really bad along with him.

Exactly :)

It's pointless hating on Kovalchuk for the next 15 years, everyone is playing badly they're failing as a team. If we're completely honest it's pretty hard for him to ever 'live up' to $100M.