• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

MW49ers5

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey Dude, I took a screen shot of that 'plays' thing on the preseason live (I cropped it a little). It's basically just a list of the scoring plays of the quarter. As you can see, the picture quality is pretty darn good with this thing on NFL.com.

plays.png

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Very cool, Thanks, Three! That picture looks HD to me! Fricken Awesome!! I sent an email over to the contact location to see if you can do a frame by frame ff/rew if you can then I am in for the regular season!

Thanks again! I just repped you!

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's too bad the NFL is ignoring the market for this technology. I think that if they marketed individual team games on a live stream basis, they'd make quite a lot of money. Honestly, I'd pay for that instead of trying to find crappy links that sneak under the NFL radar during game days, since I live in San Diego.

I think they should market this to everyone outside of the greater San Francisco area.. it's pretty easy to do. Bill by credit card, and anyone with a billing address zip code in the San Francisco area is denied the service(to avoid blackouts), but everyone outside of the area can access every 49ers game on a live stream at NFL.com for say... half the price of a ticket for every home game.

This isn't just a 49ers thing, the NFL is ignoring a market that is there for every team. Not every fan lives in the local area.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd pay for this, because it's as simple as connecting an HDMI cable from my laptop, up to my HDTV, voila, I've got 1080i 49ers games this preseason.

I know I'm ranting, but the NFL is falling behind the curve with this. They are ignoring the obvious market, or maybe, they just aren't aware of it??

bvanthielriceyoung

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
threelittlebirds - completely agree with you. There has to be a huge market for this and a lot of cash to be made. It could help increase the number of fans interested in the nfl as well. I really thought I would've seen more directed to this area the last few years.

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Actually, the NFL is aware of the market. Beginning in 2012, dtv has to offer the NFL Ticket to American on-line users; and, I suspect by 2014 dtv will no longer have the exclusive rights to broadcast out-of-market games live. This will be the game changer.

Whether the NFL will ever offer 'team or individual game packages' remains to be seen, but the technology is certainly there to do so.

tomikcon1971

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually, the NFL is aware of the market. Beginning in 2012, dtv has to offer the NFL Ticket to American on-line users; and, I suspect by 2014 dtv will no longer have the exclusive rights to broadcast out-of-market games live. This will be the game changer.

Whether the NFL will ever offer 'team or individual game packages' remains to be seen, but the technology is certainly there to do so.

I can tell you D-TV gets thousands of requests for individual team "tickets" every year. I've called them multiple times. I've been a subscriber for years and I've repeatedly told them I'd give them 50% of the ticket rate for a single team package.

I got the D-TV package for free last year (not sure how) and I didn't watch all the games. I made time for the Niners and would watch "good" match-ups from time to time. If I was a professional gambler and/or single I might want to watch everything, but other than that it's really not practical.

Also, D-TV will give the first weekend for free. So, that works well for me getting my NFL fix out of the gate.

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I can tell you D-TV gets thousands of requests for individual team "tickets" every year. I've called them multiple times. I've been a subscriber for years and I've repeatedly told them I'd give them 50% of the ticket rate for a single team package.

I got the D-TV package for free last year (not sure how) and I didn't watch all the games. I made time for the Niners and would watch "good" match-ups from time to time. If I was a professional gambler and/or single I might want to watch everything, but other than that it's really not practical.

Also, D-TV will give the first weekend for free. So, that works well for me getting my NFL fix out of the gate.

I'm not sure DTV has the technology to offer team packages, but they could offer single games on PPV; however, that would not be cost effective for the consumer. (DTV just paid $1 Billion/Yr for a 4 year extension).

Most suscribers to the 'Ticket' pay ~$350 just to watch 'their' team as it is, all the other games are just a bonus.

tomikcon1971

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure DTV has the technology to offer team packages, but they could offer single games on PPV; however, that would not be cost effective for the consumer. (DTV just paid $1 Billion/Yr for a 4 year extension).

Most suscribers to the 'Ticket' pay ~$350 just to watch 'their' team as it is, all the other games are just a bonus.

If they have the technology to know how to block out college football games based on my geographic location, they could block out Sunday Ticket games based on my team choice. In fact, my Sunday Ticket games were blacked out last year based on the local games I received. I watched the local games on the normal channels. I get that they are raking in money, but I guarantee they would get a huge amount of "team" orders if they went that route....and you'd still have the diehards who would get everything. Just my two cents.

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
If they have the technology to know how to block out college football games based on my geographic location, they could block out Sunday Ticket games based on my team choice. In fact, my Sunday Ticket games were blacked out last year based on the local games I received. I watched the local games on the normal channels. I get that they are raking in money, but I guarantee they would get a huge amount of "team" orders if they went that route....and you'd still have the diehards who would get everything. Just my two cents.

If they have the technology to know how to block out college football games based on my geographic location, they could block out Sunday Ticket games based on my team choice.

Actually, '71, DTV doesn't block anything, your local affiliate(s) is/are the ones doing the blocking; DTV is just a carrier. Living in Vegas is a screwy market, three local teams(?), both AFC & NFC - messy.

Programming your access card to receive just the 49er games would require the 49ers (and every other team) to play on the same channel each week, which, of course, is not possible without assigning 32 separate channels and simulcasting.

The only other way to facilitate this would require DTV to have a system capable of re-programing the many millions of access cards every week for the channel change.

From the perspective of the carrier (DTV) it is much more cost effective to assign channels on a game basis not a team basis. Then DTV can do what they do right now, just line up the games and allow subscribers to purchase them separately.

In fact, my Sunday Ticket games were blacked out last year based on the local games I received. I watched the local games on the normal channels.

This is precisely how the NFL Ticket is designed to work. If the local affiliate is broadcasting the game then it is blacked out on the Ticket.

I get that they are raking in money, but I guarantee they would get a huge amount of "team" orders if they went that route....and you'd still have the diehards who would get everything. Just my two cents.

As for 'raking in money', yep, owners, players the NFL among others are making a lot of cash. And while I agree, in theory, selling single game passes would be a windfall, doing so would also present a lot of complications; not to mention, the price for one team might not be much cheaper, if cheaper at all, than the full NFL Ticket.

tomikcon1971

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay, so now you have me curious. How does my local Fox affiliate block the satellite channel for the Sunday Ticket on my dish receiver? I'm not doubting you....I just don't see how this is an easy task to manage.

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Okay, so now you have me curious. How does my local Fox affiliate block the satellite channel for the Sunday Ticket on my dish receiver? I'm not doubting you....I just don't see how this is an easy task to manage.

No worries '71, ask any question you want. Here is the answer for this question.

When it comes to local channels (ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX, PBS, etc) all DTV does is simply re-broadcast what the local affiliate provides them with.

E.g., let's say you live in a zip code where a particular game is blacked-out, (Oakland) that blacked-out signal is sent from the local affiliate to one of DTV collection centers where DTV simply re-distributes that blacked-out broadcast to you over satellite.

Have you ever talked on the phone with a friend who lives just across town while watching the same program as you, yet for some reason they seem to know what is going to happen ~3-5 seconds before you do?

Or have you ever listened to a local radio broadcast of a local game while watching it over satellite? The radio announcers will always be ~3-5 seconds ahead.

Those delays represent the time it takes to send the signal from the local broadcast affiliate to a DTV collection center where it is processed, then sent from HUGE earth stations to the DTV orbiting satellites where it is then beamed back down to customers homes.

Last edited by a moderator:

tomikcon1971

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
10-4. Got it. Thanks MW! I'll give you a rep for all the info!

tomikcon1971

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Uh oh....I must have repped you recently. I have to spread it around, per the rules. Here's a virtual IOU that I'll be good for down the line.

tomikcon1971

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks. I'll toss you one for the favor. Good to see you migrate over, BTW. Don't always agree with you, but you're interesting nonetheless.

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Thanks '71 ~ Thanks 'mac

You can both count on many reciprocations in the future.