• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: M's vs Angels: 6/30-7/2

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,048.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A road series win is always a good thing, but does anyone else feel still a bit empty based on their play the last two games and still having that hangover of that 2 game set against Philly?

Destroydacre

Throws stuff out windows
Hoopla Cash
$ 90.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A road series win is always a good thing, but does anyone else feel still a bit empty based on their play the last two games and still having that hangover of that 2 game set against Philly?

The only one that really dampens my spirit is the one they blew to Philly where they had the lead in the 9th. Those are the games you look back on if you finish a game or two out of the playoffs like the Mariners did in 2014 and 2016 and say "what if?"

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only one that really dampens my spirit is the one they blew to Philly where they had the lead in the 9th. Those are the games you look back on if you finish a game or two out of the playoffs like the Mariners did in 2014 and 2016 and say "what if?"
I agree... It is especially frustrating to blow a game against a really bad team.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice to avoid another Sunday collapse in Anaheim. Seems like we have made a habit at that over the years. It actually probably would have happened if not for Heredias catch

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

They need a break, All Star break is happening at the right time, maybe they can get their heads back on straight and come back out for the 2nd half and play better ball...

Reality is they are still very much alive for a wild card, so they have to stay positive...

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 12,048.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They need a break, All Star break is happening at the right time, maybe they can get their heads back on straight and come back out for the 2nd half and play better ball...

Reality is they are still very much alive for a wild card, so they have to stay positive...
I just can't invest in any type of thoughts of post season play. Not this team.

Every year it's the same old story.

Worst injuries in the history of the league for a rotation over the first half of a season and so many others. Yet even when those guys return the team still has several games a week full of head scratching boneheaded plays and inconsistent scoring.

Doesn't feel like we should expect more 6+ game losing streaks, but I don't see them making enough winning streaks to really keep themselves in it late in the season. Too many issues with the pitching staff and just way too many really bad plays.

Mariners_44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Worst injuries in the history of the league for a rotation over the first half of a season and so many others. Yet even when those guys return the team still has several games a week full of head scratching boneheaded plays and inconsistent scoring.

Doesn't feel like we should expect more 6+ game losing streaks, but I don't see them making enough winning streaks to really keep themselves in it late in the season. Too many issues with the pitching staff and just way too many really bad plays.

All very good points, but the fact that we are only 1.5 back of the WC says to me that every other team in the AL aside from Houston is in the same boat. This is why I say we don't go broke trying to make the playoffs at the deadline, but be strategic in a way that could benefit us now and in the future; which probably means not going after the big fish.

Right when you think we are out of it this team finds a way to crawl back into the mix. This is gonna go down to the wire, might as well enjoy it as much as possible.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 12,048.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All very good points, but the fact that we are only 1.5 back of the WC says to me that every other team in the AL aside from Houston is in the same boat. This is why I say we don't go broke trying to make the playoffs at the deadline, but be strategic in a way that could benefit us now and in the future; which probably means not going after the big fish.

Right when you think we are out of it this team finds a way to crawl back into the mix. This is gonna go down to the wire, might as well enjoy it as much as possible.
Oh I still watch and enjoy plenty of it and fully expect some outstanding games. I'm just not going to allow myself to once again buy into a team with such a track record of fail that has shown very much those same tendencies at times this year as well. I won't think about a wild card slot until they are firmly in control of one of them. Not a moment sooner. Too many years of Lucy and the football.

giphy.gif

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I hear you and believe me when I say I was dropping F bombs in my garage yesterday as Vincent gave up the four straight meatballs, ( side note I feel so accomplished having my garage clean now) anyways point is they are in it, they are "our team" good or frickn bad I still got to believe ( in the deepest, darkest part of my body) while drinking a six pack cause sometimes it the only way to listen or watch these guys....

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yea that's what makes the constant clunkers that this team has even more frustrating. The AL WC race is very open, even the Yankees as WC1 are slumping and coming back to the pack. Still think this team needs another starter and a reliever to have the best shot

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea that's what makes the constant clunkers that this team has even more frustrating. The AL WC race is very open, even the Yankees as WC1 are slumping and coming back to the pack. Still think this team needs another starter and a reliever to have the best shot

Yeah Smiley done for the year hurts a lot cause I don't trust Kuma coming back either....(Remember when he failed his physical with the Dodgers?)

The bullpen is :L a straight up mess.. It's like who can come out of there and not blow a save, Diaz to me gets a pass for the simple fact he's a young arm, but the others, it's like roll the dice and pray they pull it off..

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah Smiley done for the year hurts a lot cause I don't trust Kuma coming back either....(Remember when he failed his physical with the Dodgers?)

The bullpen is :L a straight up mess.. It's like who can come out of there and not blow a save, Diaz to me gets a pass for the simple fact he's a young arm, but the others, it's like roll the dice and pray they pull it off..

I'm ok with Diaz, Vincent, Pazos and scrabble. Even don't mind Cishek if he is used properly aka not against lefties. Still feels an arm short tho. Think we have given fragile Zych and Altameatball enough chances. At least for this year.

I know Gaviglio has a decent ERA but a lot of his other advanced stats don't leave me with a ton of confidence.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm ok with Diaz, Vincent, Pazos and scrabble. Even don't mind Cishek if he is used properly aka not against lefties. Still feels an arm short tho. Think we have given fragile Zych and Altameatball enough chances. At least for this year.

I know Gaviglio has a decent ERA but a lot of his other advanced stats don't leave me with a ton of confidence.
other than walking guys too frequently I don't have a problem with the way Zych has pitched, for the most part. Altavilla has some legit "stuff" but my god if he doesn't get hit hard all the time.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
other than walking guys too frequently I don't have a problem with the way Zych has pitched, for the most part. Altavilla has some legit "stuff" but my god if he doesn't get hit hard all the time.

Zych has been replacement level which is ok I guess. Still his FIP is way up and his K rate is way down. I guess I just was hoping for more. I think I read that his shoulder still bothers him a lot which makes it hard for him to pitch back to back days.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Zych has been replacement level which is ok I guess. Still his FIP is way up and his K rate is way down. I guess I just was hoping for more. I think I read that his shoulder still bothers him a lot which makes it hard for him to pitch back to back days.
With Zych do you mean replacement level in terms of WAR? Gotta remember this is a bullpen guy.
With Zych I think his FIP and K rates are just not following what we would have expected from him based on what we have seen of him in his career. Could just be injury caused like you mentioned, i also heard he was sick for awhile. All in all I haven't seen Zych fail enough for me to be too concerned with him. Altavilla on the other hand seems like he needs some more seasoning.