• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: M's @ Rangers: June 3rd - 5th

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if they get rivas..they would not need diaz..and have depth..at ..1B/3B..including toro

hancocks value..still...low..and mariners could still use a comp pick..
Rivas? How many times did he sack Tom Brady?
Fortunately for me there was nothing better to watch than the rest of the game.
The kids wanted me to binge Stranger Things with them and I was making them wait until after the game. But when Garver took Romo deep in the 8th, stretching their to 3-runs, I turned it off. Figures.

I have a feeling Romo is going to get DFAed or DLed in the next couple days. He's been pretty horrible in recent games. His ERA has risen three years in a row and he's 39 years old. He might be at the end of his run.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
wade Miley 20L/L6' 2"22011/13/1986

start or bull pen its all good..for me with miley....or i say....myile...but its all..good..cuz ive lie him sence he was here before...

if ya need a tweener....he is a heck..a one of those..and a good rotation guy...when he is that as well

Mychal Givens 60..normal givins..adds something the mariners dont have

Willson Contreras 40..same as givens

Alfonso Rivas 36L/L5' 11"19009/13/1996
adds needed depth..along with toro

there..ya..go

PolarVortex

how ya like it know..
Looks damn good for us, horrible for the Cubs.
First, Miley and Contreras are both highly marketable players. I doubt if they are packaged together in a single trade.
Second, if we gave up Torrens and Sheffield for Contreras, we shouldn't expect additional players coming back to us, especially when Contreras' contract is a very affordable $6.6 million. Torrens is not a rising star and Sheffield's rank as a prospect has dropped significantly from where it was when we first got him from the Yankees.
Third, we already auditioned Miley once and it didn't work out. He reminds me of AJ Happ: pitched pretty good everywhere except here.
Fourth it's a moot point: Dipoto will get outbid for Contreras.
Fifth: we aren't buyers. We're sellers. This team over-achieved last year. According to the Pythagorean (based on run differential), the team should have been 76-86. Reality is biting us in the ass this year.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My best friends mom was Dwight Evans cousin... When I was in 3rd grade, Dwight and his family would come to his house for Thanksgiving... My friend lived on a Culdasac so at 4pm every Thanksgiving, Dwight would come out and be permanent QB for all us kids on the block for a Turkeybowl game... He was awesome... He would give us mitts, balls, bats so of course, I have been a huge Red Sox fan ever since then... But I do bleed Mariner blue first and fore most... But it also is nice to have a secondary team you can root for in the postseason... :D
Evans should have gone into the HOF instead of (or in addition to) Rice. Similar career offensive numbers and a far better defender (8 GGs).

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Evans should have gone into the HOF instead of (or in addition to) Rice. Similar career offensive numbers and a far better defender (8 GGs).
I agree... One of the best outfield arms in the league...

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is so Mariner like so I had to post it.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh well.

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks damn good for us, horrible for the Cubs.
First, Miley and Contreras are both highly marketable players. I doubt if they are packaged together in a single trade.
Second, if we gave up Torrens and Sheffield for Contreras, we shouldn't expect additional players coming back to us, especially when Contreras' contract is a very affordable $6.6 million. Torrens is not a rising star and Sheffield's rank as a prospect has dropped significantly from where it was when we first got him from the Yankees.
Third, we already auditioned Miley once and it didn't work out. He reminds me of AJ Happ: pitched pretty good everywhere except here.
Fourth it's a moot point: Dipoto will get outbid for Contreras.
Fifth: we aren't buyers. We're sellers. This team over-achieved last year. According to the Pythagorean (based on run differential), the team should have been 76-86. Reality is biting us in the ass this year.
good points..on miley...but there is mania san diego to consider as well

contraras
and rivas will do i guess

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My best friends mom was Dwight Evans cousin... When I was in 3rd grade, Dwight and his family would come to his house for Thanksgiving... My friend lived on a Culdasac so at 4pm every Thanksgiving, Dwight would come out and be permanent QB for all us kids on the block for a Turkeybowl game... He was awesome... He would give us mitts, balls, bats so of course, I have been a huge Red Sox fan ever since then... But I do bleed Mariner blue first and fore most... But it also is nice to have a secondary team you can root for in the postseason... :D
That's pretty awesome. I've never sat in the diamond club but it looks like it would be an incredible experience.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see this as a typical buy/sell choice this year.

Even if they believe there is no window for playoffs this year, they should still be buyers. Dumping guys for payroll/future doesn't make sense with the cycle they are in. They need talent and they need a lot of it. More than one winter season can fill. At least with as little as they are willing to spend to reach out for it.

They kind of have to still be looking to upgrade at any position even if 'next year' is still their song.
Good point.

My only concern is that Dipoto will get fleeced trading for some vet on the wrong side of their career thinking they will be a savior for this team. I definitely would not be sellers, even if we are last in the AL West because I believe that would just delay our trajectory even more. As much as I think trading for Willson Contreras would help the current roster, Dipoto shouldn't pull the trigger unless they're confident they can retain him. It would be a complete waste if they traded for him and he walks in free agency.

Ironically I think we will see Contreras in Seattle this year, but in an Astros uniform.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love the idea of Juli/Soto being our core... If Kelanic, Braush, White are part of the deal along with either Gilbert/Kirby as well... I'd be ok with that...
Yeah I think in retrospect that's just a fantasy of mine. I don't think we could land Soto without severely depleting this team of young talent both on the current roster and in the farm system.
Think lower. Look and see who is going downhill and will be cheap. Then you have your next Mariner.
Sadly this is funny but true.

Perfect example of this is settling with Frazier and Suarez at 2nd and 3rd respectively. Suarez has been solid and I don't think Frazier is awful, but there were better options out there for us.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's pretty awesome. I've never sat in the diamond club but it looks like it would be an incredible experience.
Back in the early 2000's when I owned a business the bank I used would take a bunch of us to games in the Diamond Club. Very nice.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Back in the early 2000's when I owned a business the bank I used would take a bunch of us to games in the Diamond Club. Very nice.
Back then, banks could take their clients out as much as they wanted. Nowadays I have to navigate a bunch of regulations just to take a client out to lunch.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Back then, banks could take their clients out as much as they wanted. Nowadays I have to navigate a bunch of regulations just to take a client out to lunch.
I didn't know that. I know Tite Companies got hit hard with regulations and had to stop with the gifts.

The bank stopped taking us when the VP of the bank drove us all home drunk and almost killed us all when his next in charge grabbed the wheel doing 70 on the highway. I will never forget that. I am happy I am still around to never forget that.