• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

MLB/NPB posting agreement

steveringo

People's Front of Judea
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is better than it was and it helps the smaller market clubs. If teams are interesting in an NPB player, they will certainly post the bid. (The only teams that won't are the cheap owners.)

I like that it opens contract negotiations to multiple teams. This will help the Japanese players.

The only party screwed are the NPB teams. I'm surprised it does not include a clause that states the losing bidding MLB team should pay a percentage of thier bid...

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My dream would be for the Phillies to sign Tanaka

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
$ 20 mil?

Chump change for the Dodgers.

DO IT!!!!!!

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
An interesting update: Rakuten Golden Eagles May Not Post Masahiro Tanaka

By Steve Adams [December 5, 2013 at 12:00pm CST]

Rakuten Golden Eagles president Yozo Tachibana addressed the Japanese media today and indicated that the team may not necessarily post Masahiro Tanaka in light of the new posting system's $20MM maximum bid, according to a report from Sponichi (Japanese link). Dylan Hernandez of the L.A. Times elaborates in his most recent article and offers translated quotes from Tachibana.

"There's a possibility we won't take the next step," said Tachibana. As Newsday's David Lennon noted on Twitter today, the Golden Eagles may think that retaining Tanaka is more valuable than the $20MM maximum posting fee, which is a mere fraction of the $75MM+ posting fee that was rumored under the old system.

Hernandez notes that the Golden Eagles will be under "immense public pressure" to post Tanaka despite the new rules. That wouldn't guarantee anything, however. Tanaka failing to hit the market after this long, drawn out process would be a major impact to interested teams who are now dreaming of their increased chances to land the highly touted ace. The Yankees have been prioritizing Tanaka but would have to turn elsewhere to fill out a rotation in need of a significant boost.

Should Tanaka stay in Japan, the cases for Ervin Santana, Matt Garza and Ubaldo Jimenez would only be strengthened, as their primary competition would be off the market.

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
An interesting update: Rakuten Golden Eagles May Not Post Masahiro Tanaka

By Steve Adams [December 5, 2013 at 12:00pm CST]

Rakuten Golden Eagles president Yozo Tachibana addressed the Japanese media today and indicated that the team may not necessarily post Masahiro Tanaka in light of the new posting system's $20MM maximum bid, according to a report from Sponichi (Japanese link). Dylan Hernandez of the L.A. Times elaborates in his most recent article and offers translated quotes from Tachibana.

"There's a possibility we won't take the next step," said Tachibana. As Newsday's David Lennon noted on Twitter today, the Golden Eagles may think that retaining Tanaka is more valuable than the $20MM maximum posting fee, which is a mere fraction of the $75MM+ posting fee that was rumored under the old system.

Hernandez notes that the Golden Eagles will be under "immense public pressure" to post Tanaka despite the new rules. That wouldn't guarantee anything, however. Tanaka failing to hit the market after this long, drawn out process would be a major impact to interested teams who are now dreaming of their increased chances to land the highly touted ace. The Yankees have been prioritizing Tanaka but would have to turn elsewhere to fill out a rotation in need of a significant boost.

Should Tanaka stay in Japan, the cases for Ervin Santana, Matt Garza and Ubaldo Jimenez would only be strengthened, as their primary competition would be off the market.

You say interesting, I say potential huge buzz kill. :lol:

gunnarthor

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is better than it was and it helps the smaller market clubs. If teams are interesting in an NPB player, they will certainly post the bid. (The only teams that won't are the cheap owners.)

I like that it opens contract negotiations to multiple teams. This will help the Japanese players.
Not sure how it helps smaller clubs - the A's and Yanks can both agree to post 20m but then both get to negotiate with Tanaka. One of those teams can afford to pay a lot more than the other. Under the old rules, the A's at least had a shot at outbidding everyone in a blind bid (as they did a few years ago and then failed to sign Iwakuma).

But I agree that it's better for the players.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure how it helps smaller clubs - the A's and Yanks can both agree to post 20m but then both get to negotiate with Tanaka. One of those teams can afford to pay a lot more than the other. Under the old rules, the A's at least had a shot at outbidding everyone in a blind bid (as they did a few years ago and then failed to sign Iwakuma).

But I agree that it's better for the players.

Seems more helpful to the mid-markets than small markets to me.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By Steve Adams [December 7 at 10:31am CST]
SATURDAY: Rakuten is "really balking at the $20MM posting fee," [ame="[MEDIA=twitter]409355416284323840[/MEDIA]"]tweets[/ame] Patrick Newman of NPB Tracker. A club executive indicated that the club plans to discuss the posting issue with Tanaka by next Tuesday, and says that "asking [Tanaka] to stick around will be the priority," according to a Yahoo! Japan article (in Japanese; quote [ame="[MEDIA=twitter]409356763561865216[/MEDIA]"]via[/ame] Newman).

Last edited by a moderator: