• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Mitch got a new deal

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good move. Maybe Short Buss has at least one working brain cell.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now if only Jimmy would give him a little more decision power.

Silas

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mitch is a glutton for punishment. Glad he will be around a while longer. Unfortunately, as long as little buss is slithering around the FO making decisions it won't matter much.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The biggest issue that the Lakers are facing right now is that they are a team that is transitioning from one style of play to another.

As great as the "Triangle era" was, the greatest era in Lakers history and arguably in all of modern sports history was the Lakers "Showtime era". Dr. Buss saw that the league is becoming a faster paced, more athletic league and wanted a return to Showtime.

This is why D'Antoni was hired, his offense is the closest thing to the Showtime era offense. When run properly, it is a fun offense based on ball movement and spacing rather than the slow it down and run iso's of the triangle.

The Lakers need to either commit wholeheartedly to the "Showtime style" or go back to the "Triangle style". If they commit to Showtime, then that is the type of coach they need. It doesn't HAVE to be D'Antoni obviously, but it needs to be someone who can coach that style.

If they decide to go back to a more triangle style offense, then clearly they HAVE to get rid of D'Antoni and bring in that type of coach. Personally, I hope they continue to move to the Showtime style of offense as I'm not convinced that the triangle works that well in the today's NBA.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The biggest issue that the Lakers are facing right now is that they are a team that is transitioning from one style of play to another.

As great as the "Triangle era" was, the greatest era in Lakers history and arguably in all of modern sports history was the Lakers "Showtime era". Dr. Buss saw that the league is becoming a faster paced, more athletic league and wanted a return to Showtime.

This is why D'Antoni was hired, his offense is the closest thing to the Showtime era offense. When run properly, it is a fun offense based on ball movement and spacing rather than the slow it down and run iso's of the triangle.

The Lakers need to either commit wholeheartedly to the "Showtime style" or go back to the "Triangle style". If they commit to Showtime, then that is the type of coach they need. It doesn't HAVE to be D'Antoni obviously, but it needs to be someone who can coach that style.

If they decide to go back to a more triangle style offense, then clearly they HAVE to get rid of D'Antoni and bring in that type of coach. Personally, I hope they continue to move to the Showtime style of offense as I'm not convinced that the triangle works that well in the today's NBA.

I'm all for the Showtime Style but you need defence for that to work and that is where dantoni fails.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed TJF12 and Shaqdaddy. In the Lakers' height of Showtime, one of the major reasons we lost in 1983 to Moses Malone and the 76ers was a lack of defense. The same thing happened in 1984 with the Celtics. They had better defense. The next year, everyone including Kareem committed to defense and we overcame the Celtics curse. If we do go back to the high scoring offense of the "Showtime Era", I think everyone knows that defense is going to have to improve in order for things to become championship-like again.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm all for the Showtime Style but you need defence for that to work and that is where dantoni fails.

I'm not convinced of that. No one is going to mistake D'Antoni for Thibs when it comes to defense, but that's why Rambis is there. They just haven't had a consistent enough lineup to develop any kind of team defense.

I think that if this team were healthy all season, they would have been about middle of the pack defensively or a tad below which is right about where the Showtime era teams were.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed TJF12 and Shaqdaddy. In the Lakers' height of Showtime, one of the major reasons we lost in 1983 to Moses Malone and the 76ers was a lack of defense. The same thing happened in 1984 with the Celtics. They had better defense. The next year, everyone including Kareem committed to defense and we overcame the Celtics curse. If we do go back to the high scoring offense of the "Showtime Era", I think everyone knows that defense is going to have to improve in order for things to become championship-like again.

Exactly!!

Honestly, right now, the coach is the least of the Lakers problems. Everyone likes to focus in on D'Antoni because he's the easiest, most visible target. However, what the Lakers need more than a new coach, is a healthy roster of guys who can actually play. Then they can worry about a coach.

If I'm in the FO, once the season ends, I tell D'Antoni that I'm evaluating the direction of the entire organization and will let him and everyone else in the organization know their status in a couple of weeks.

Then I put my feelers out to Lakers FA's that I want to retain and other teams FA's that I'm interested in and try to get their take on retaining him. If the decision is made to cut him loose, then I get my next coach lined up BEFORE I do anything about D'Antoni. We have to pay him anyway, so no sense in going on a public coaching search, when we can get the next coach lined up and then cut him loose.

And sorry guys, but how the fans feel about him is at the bottom of my list re: keeping him or not. The fans will support any coach who wins. So, if the Lakers retain him and the team starts winning, all of those screaming for his head now, will be talking about what a great hire he was after all. That's just how fans are.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mitch was groomed by Jerry West. That should be all Short Buss needs to know to back up and let him do his thing.

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You seem to make a lot of excuses for the coach. D'antonio has to go. Enough!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You seem to make a lot of excuses for the coach. D'antonio has to go. Enough!!!!

Not making excuses. Who could have done any better with what he has been handed? Before you say Phil, keep in mind that Phil took over a team with an in his prime Kobe and a better roster than this one and led them to 2 straight first round exits before the Gasol trade.

Also, in the post you quoted, there was nothing that defended or made an excuse for D'Antoni.

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not making excuses. Who could have done any better with what he has been handed? Before you say Phil, keep in mind that Phil took over a team with an in his prime Kobe and a better roster than this one and led them to 2 straight first round exits before the Gasol trade.

Also, in the post you quoted, there was nothing that defended or made an excuse for D'Antoni.

I am sorry I ment your other posts. I really will be sick to if he is back next year.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am sorry I ment your other posts. I really will be sick to if he is back next year.

I have said all along that I don't know if D'Antoni is the coach that can lead this team back to the finals or not. All that I have said in his defense is that, considering what he has been handed as far as a roster and all of the injuries that the Lakers have suffered, he has not been given a fair shot at showing what he can do.

Even Kobe has said as much in the only statement he has made publicly re: D'Antoni. People are talking about how Kobe has said he wants D'Antoni gone, yet not one person has been able to produce a quote from Kobe saying this.

Additionally, more and more "experts" and "analysts" are starting to come to D'Antoni's defense re: the job that he has done when considering all that has happened and the roster he was given to work with.

If people want him gone, that's fine. We're all entitled to our opinions, but let's not pretend that he was given a fair chance. Also, as far as attracting FA's, how attractive are the Lakers going to look when D'Antoni is already the 4th coach in the past 5 years and now the Lakers fire him? Nothing screams "organizational stability" like 5 coaches in 6 years.

We even have Lakers fans on here blaming him for the injuries, which is embarrassingly stupid.