• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Michael Young Considering Retirement

Johnnydollaz89

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,976.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Michael Young is "strongly considering" retiring after 14 Major League seasons, FOX Sports' Ken Rosenthal reports (Twitter links). Young wants to spend more time with his wife and three sons, and is considering walking away from the game despite continued interest in his services. Rosenthal reports that four teams are interested in Young and the veteran infielder had received "decent offers."
Young, who turned 37 in October, hit .279/.335/.395 in 565 PA with the Phillies and Dodgers last season. He began the season as Philadelphia's everyday third baseman but was reduced to a part-time role after he was traded to the Dodgers at the end of August. The Dodgers considered bringing Young back as their third baseman for 2014 but the club instead re-signed Juan Uribe to fill that position.
Besides the Dodgers, Rosenthal reported in December that the Brewers, Rockies and Nationals were all interested in Young this offseason, though the Nats' interest had dried up. Milwaukee, of note, was looking at Young as a first baseman rather than at the hot corner. The Yankees were also connected to Young as a possible option in the wake of Alex Rodriguez's suspension.
The issue for Young could be playing time, as Troy Renck of the Denver Post noted that Young's desire for a starting job could have impeded a deal with the Rockies, who wanted him for a bench role. Of his known suitors, it would seem the Yankees and Brewers could've offered the most potential playing time given how shallow those teams are at third and first, respectively, but Young still would've likely ended up in a platoon.

MLB Rumors - MLBTradeRumors.com

If he doesn't earn a starting job, think retiring may be what's best.

Last edited by a moderator:

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he doesn't earn a starting job, think retiring may be what's best.

Perhaps you are right. At the same time, having seen MY as the "heart" of some pretty bad Rangers teams, I wouldn't mind seeing him take a reduced role in an attempt to win a WS.

Johnnydollaz89

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,976.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Perhaps you are right. At the same time, having seen MY as the "heart" of some pretty bad Rangers teams, I wouldn't mind seeing him take a reduced role in an attempt to win a WS.

That's of course if he's willing to do that, sure would be nice to see.

I can't believe he is already 37....

Same here.

gunnarthor

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting career. Nice stats but some advanced stats don't like him quite as much since he played in such a hitters park - his .300/.346/.441 line is only a 104 OPS+ and he was about a 3 WAR player in his prime. But I wonder if he had come up in KC, for instance, if those numbers would be better. He had pretty big home/road splits for his career but there has been some suggestions that a home park can affect your road numbers - at least some suggestions that it happens to the Rockies. Anyhow, nice career - made over 90m! and 7 allstar teams.

hokiehi21

DC sports are cursed
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Aaaand he's retiring. Congrats to him on an outstanding career.

Last edited by a moderator:

ChicagoIrish

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's too bad.

He could have been a nice depth player. He's the kind of guy you root for to get a ring