• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Merry Christmas

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you translate, "I love my wife" and "I love ice cream" into another language, do you use the same word for "love"? I did in the original. But the meaning is totally different, depending on the case. (One would hope!)

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks for that info on the Christian bible. As for the Hebrew Bible (what Christians call the Old Testament) I think most scholars would agree that the KJ version is a fairly accurate translation, but not without controversy. For example, all uses of "thee" and "thou" we're not common usage at the time it was written, but stylistically chosen to add an air of "importance" to the text. There are other examples of out and out whole cloth additions to the Hebrew text too, mostly to make the text flow in a more narrative fashion.

Agreed. And kudos for your being open-minded enough to recognize the accuracy and historicity of the Bible. I feel bad for those who simply dismiss the Bible, Old or New Covenant, as somehow being inaccurate translations of long-dead fables, or a useless collection of stories distorted to the Nth degree through generations of the "whisper" game being played.

Most people have little idea of the countless man-years of dedicated effort from generations of teams of very highly educated people in linguistics, archaeology, history, and all scientific disciplines that have gone into preserving and ensuring the most accurate translations possible from as many original texts as possible that are as close as possible to the original writings dates.

Cute little clue as to which human actually transcribed the King James Bible (this only works with the KJV):

1) Go to Psalm 46
2) Starting at the first word of Psalm 46, count the number of words going forward till you get to the 46th word. Write it down.
3) Now starting at the last word of Psalm 46 as the first word, count the words going backward until you get to the 46th word. Write it down.
4) Now put the two words together. That's who wrote the KJV.

SFAnthem

Brain dead Hacker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Happy holidays G fans!

I politely pass on all the theological discussions :) but wish everyone a safe a wonderful new year.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Happy holidays G fans!

I politely pass on all the theological discussions :) but wish everyone a safe a wonderful new year.

I agree, I will stay on the outside of this one, but it is certainly interesting to see a HIGHLY educated Jew (are you a rabbi, tz?) and a retired Pastor discuss this stuff in a very civil manor. Not sure what Mays' back-ground is, but it appears he knows his shit as well.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree, I will stay on the outside of this one, but it is certainly interesting to see a HIGHLY educated Jew (are you a rabbi, tz?) and a retired Pastor discuss this stuff in a very civil manor. Not sure what Mays' back-ground is, but it appears he knows his shit as well.

I am not a rabbi.....YET.

But I do loves me some Torah :kev:

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not a rabbi.....YET.

But I do loves me some Torah :kev:

I figured you were on the path. The IT manager for my company is a rabbi. Sometimes he comes into work late because he blesses the kitchens in a few local doughnut shops :)

SFAnthem

Brain dead Hacker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Oh by all means, carry on. I was hinting at my lack of ability to contribute anything worthwhile (not that it has stopped me before) :)

ColinCoby

"Duff Man…Oh Yeah!"
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,351.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love this thread. Very fascinating read. (and here I thought you guys only new your shit when it came to The Giants).

I read recently (I think it was from the professor and theological scholar Marcus Borg) about the translation of one of Jesus' I am statements. I can't remember which of the gospels it comes from (probably John), but I believe in involves Pilate asking Jesus if he is the King of the Jews.

Most translations have Jesus replying, "I am." Borg mentions, however, that the verse, when written in Greek, can be also translated as, "Am I?"

Two totally different responses, and thus different meanings. Is Jesus challenging the reader to believe that he is all that people claim he is? Or is he demanding you figure it out on your own?

Happy New Year guys.